NEWS

cyberware and magic

• 24 Replies

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #15 on: <06-19-13/0855:13> »
Indeed, it is that second track I'm more interested in, Mike. The ability to shift around your active foci and reconfigure your points is HUGE in terms of versatility for adepts. Especially since you only need one or two key powers to put you into different roles.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #16 on: <06-19-13/0900:50> »
Of course you'll have to add >50% karma cost at chargen, since likely you went Resources E. Would be better to get them after chargen.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Baquette

• Newb
« Reply #17 on: <06-19-13/0911:11> »
cyberlimbs is more my concern now. Partial cyberlimbs are a killer.

Can you explain what you mean? Killer-bad or killer-good?

MfG

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #18 on: <06-19-13/1304:27> »
I think...  I hope that the "2 Karma" is a typo and gets Errata'd fast.

No, itīs not - the example character in #3 preview is a mystic adept and both the example character and the character creation rules are saying "2 karma / power point for mystic adepts". Otherwise the entire character creation chapter would be buggy and I am quite sure that this would have not passed CGL quality control.

MfG

The character stuff was done at the tail end of production, as a note, to ensure that they used the "final" version of the rules (These changed a lot through playtesting).  If during the last production cycle, the Mystic Adept Power Point cost was written down wrong and overlooked, then the sample characters would be built wrong as well.

This was one of the huge challenges with proofing the document.  Not only did it go through a number of revisions during the year or so that we were writing it (some of these quite drastic), but when you're dealing with something as simple as a single number, it's really easy to overlook unless it's a specific thing you're looking for or know a lot about.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #19 on: <06-21-13/0632:44> »
I think...  I hope that the "2 Karma" is a typo and gets Errata'd fast.

No, itīs not - the example character in #3 preview is a mystic adept and both the example character and the character creation rules are saying "2 karma / power point for mystic adepts". Otherwise the entire character creation chapter would be buggy and I am quite sure that this would have not passed CGL quality control.

MfG

The character stuff was done at the tail end of production, as a note, to ensure that they used the "final" version of the rules (These changed a lot through playtesting).  If during the last production cycle, the Mystic Adept Power Point cost was written down wrong and overlooked, then the sample characters would be built wrong as well.

This was one of the huge challenges with proofing the document.  Not only did it go through a number of revisions during the year or so that we were writing it (some of these quite drastic), but when you're dealing with something as simple as a single number, it's really easy to overlook unless it's a specific thing you're looking for or know a lot about.

I'm rather curious as to what the actual number is supposed to be...
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« Reply #20 on: <06-21-13/1118:32> »

Out of curiosity, where do you think it should be at since you are familiar with the new system? I'm not looking for any official Bull errata, but just curious as to where you feel it should be at? I'm planning on a Mystic-Adept as my first character, and as I will not get a copy of the rules until the PDF launches, I'm trying to plan ahead as much as possible (which pretty much amounts to me trying to decided the priority order given in the free preview).

quindraco

• Newb
« Reply #21 on: <06-21-13/1336:32> »

Out of curiosity, where do you think it should be at since you are familiar with the new system? I'm not looking for any official Bull errata, but just curious as to where you feel it should be at? I'm planning on a Mystic-Adept as my first character, and as I will not get a copy of the rules until the PDF launches, I'm trying to plan ahead as much as possible (which pretty much amounts to me trying to decided the priority order given in the free preview).

There are far fewer ways to put one of those together now.  I'm also planning on a mystic adept (an augmented one) to start, probably looking at this (note that there's still a lot of guesswork involved):
A: Attributes
B: Skills
C: Mystic Adept
D: Elf + 3 Magic
E: Resources

Free karma / negative quality karma priorities: power points, spells. additional nuyen if critical, compatibility with ware (assuming that's still a quality).

In the SR campaigns I'm usually in, nuyen flows a lot more freely than karma, so it makes a lot of sense to try and delay gear until post-chargen, but the above is based on an awful lot of assumptions, of course.  :)

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« Reply #22 on: <06-22-13/0229:36> »
Right now I am looking at A: Mystic Adept, E: Human, and I'm trying to figure out what the rest will be. I think I will avoid the cyber route, and pick up those tattoo foci when I can. With initiative working the way it does now I'll probably go with a spell to bump that up, as it doesn't appear to be so harsh to be caught without a sustained Improved Reflexes. However if the cost of power points for M.A.s becomes very large, I'll probably have to adjust my priorities.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #23 on: <06-22-13/0946:06> »
Right now I am looking at A: Mystic Adept, E: Human, and I'm trying to figure out what the rest will be. I think I will avoid the cyber route, and pick up those tattoo foci when I can. With initiative working the way it does now I'll probably go with a spell to bump that up, as it doesn't appear to be so harsh to be caught without a sustained Improved Reflexes. However if the cost of power points for M.A.s becomes very large, I'll probably have to adjust my priorities.

Its pretty hard to go under B in attributes if you plan on both spell casting and do something physical, if your adept abilities are going to tie into your drain stat like a shaman/face you can probably get away with C in attributes leaving you B for skills.  And unless gear is going to be a fouc, I'd go E resources and bet the basics, gun, armor, fake Id, lifestyle, comlink. That gets you either D elf(0) or D human (3), getting 6 magic, 5 edge is pretty sweet. 

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« Reply #24 on: <06-22-13/1634:56> »
Its pretty hard to go under B in attributes if you plan on both spell casting and do something physical, if your adept abilities are going to tie into your drain stat like a shaman/face you can probably get away with C in attributes leaving you B for skills.  And unless gear is going to be a fouc, I'd go E resources and bet the basics, gun, armor, fake Id, lifestyle, comlink. That gets you either D elf(0) or D human (3), getting 6 magic, 5 edge is pretty sweet.

I'm thinking Shaman/face, with melee (swords) as a tertiary focus. Eventually I'll get a weapon focus, but I can't see that happening at character creation without just going adept or going too low of a priority on something else. I guess it depends on what gear costs now.