NEWS

Leadership / WAR

• 5 Replies

Seamus Harper

• Newb
« on: <04-20-11/1455:52> »
http://forums.shadowrun4.com/index.php?topic=3447.msg40175#new I asked a question about Leadership specialties in the main book and basically it turns out they are fully explained in WAR...my question is basically does that mean those specializations are moot in Missions or do they use the rules from WAR or some other rule?

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #1 on: <04-21-11/0925:03> »
If it's an optional rule, and it's not specifically permitted by the SRM FAQ, then it's not allowed.

This applies for anything.

-k

Seamus Harper

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <04-21-11/1734:01> »
If it's an optional rule, and it's not specifically permitted by the SRM FAQ, then it's not allowed.

This applies for anything.

-k
So then it is allowed?  I have not been told it's an optional rule, though I have not read it.  All I have been told is "the rules for how that works are in WAR" so your statement implies those rules apply to Leadership (Leadership is in the main book and is not optional, neither are its specialties to which my post referred).  Thanks for your ruling.

DWC

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <04-21-11/1815:49> »
I didn't see anything in the Leadership rules to suggest that they were optional.

Nice side note.  Spotters finally serve a purpose for snipers.

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #4 on: <04-21-11/2030:50> »
I'm not official in any capacity, merely repeating what is stated in the FAQ.

Shadowrun Missions uses all the rules, unless they are marked optional, and even then some specific optional rules are specifically marked as allowed in SRM.

So yes, if you find a rule that is written up as "This is the way things work now", rather than "This is an optional set of rules", it applies in SRM.

Note that books are considered, as noted elsewhere by the campaign coordinator Bull, to be "official" for the campaign when the print copy hits the streets, or in the case of PDF-only product when it goes on sale.

Also, while individual GMs are supposed to try to follow the printed rules and and missions whenever possible, they can alter rules if it's necessary to create better gameplay. Like, if a book rule would make for a stupid illogical situation that is patently un-fun for the game, the GM can alter things to make sense.

-k
« Last Edit: <04-21-11/2035:55> by KarmaInferno »

Seamus Harper

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <04-22-11/0209:25> »
Note that books are considered, as noted elsewhere by the campaign coordinator Bull, to be "official" for the campaign when the print copy hits the streets, or in the case of PDF-only product when it goes on sale.

Also, while individual GMs are supposed to try to follow the printed rules and and missions whenever possible, they can alter rules if it's necessary to create better gameplay. Like, if a book rule would make for a stupid illogical situation that is patently un-fun for the game, the GM can alter things to make sense.

-k
You've answered my original question though and your quote about any published book explains it.  When I read the 11 page FAQ a bazillion times I never saw WAR mentioned (I've never heard of WAR tbh until the thread I mentioned) and thought it said only Augmented, Arsenal, Companion, the Core Rulebook and Street Magic were allowed to be used for Missions.  I don't plan to get WAR or take Leadership with my Missions character but you've helped explain what was frustrating me and I appreciate it (I clicked the applaud thing which apparently I can do now).

It's a good thing that GMs still have carte blanche over the rules I'm sure (tabletop games have relied on that to save them from the flaws that will inevitably arise when trying to boil the real world--or worlds even more complex--into a few hundred pages of rules) even if it does seem counter-intuitive to the whole Missions concept.