NEWS

Missions gone FUBAR?

• 9 Replies

SeriousOne338

• Omae
« on: <05-25-12/1205:19> »
So I'm running two games and I was thinking of maybe making one of the runs go FUBAR, like the information wrong or something like that. Would it be too evil? Should I just stick with the plain old plan?
Colors: Speech, Thought, Matrix
Character:
Dos.Boot http://forums.shadowrun4.com/index.php?topic=7368.15

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #1 on: <05-25-12/1347:17> »
Don't force things to go FUBAR. They tend to go that way all on their own. However, faulty intel is always a possibility, and is the reason why runners do their own legwork, instead of relying on what the Johnson gave them.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Wolfboy

• Omae
  • life sucks, deal with it
« Reply #2 on: <05-27-12/1523:23> »
agreed, though as the GM you can plan for their mission to go fubar by giving them faulty info if they flub there legwork rolls. sometimes a source doesnt really know the answer, but wants you to think they do and you cant tell the difference when they are lying or when they are not.
May god grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, to change the things I can, and the firepower to make the difference.

Suicide is never the answer, now homicide on the other hand, that has posibilities.

7.62 Russian, when it absolutely has to be done under budget

Cthulhutech

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <05-31-12/1159:41> »
Missions going FUBAR happens all the time in Shadowrun, and for different reasons.  I usually throw in a few complications on runs to keep things interesting.  However the players respond to them usually determines how badly the mission gets fouled up.  If they respond well they get through the run and get paid.  If they don't it can lead to half-baked plans like stealing a city garbage truck, loading it up with C-4, dynamite, and other miscellaneous explosives, and crashing it through the lobby of the building across the street from the corp HQ where their extraction target is hiding out in order to create a distraction (yes, that's an actual plan, and yes it worked...sort of). 

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #4 on: <05-31-12/1233:04> »
Missions going FUBAR happens all the time in Shadowrun, and for different reasons.  I usually throw in a few complications on runs to keep things interesting.  However the players respond to them usually determines how badly the mission gets fouled up.  If they respond well they get through the run and get paid.  If they don't it can lead to half-baked plans like stealing a city garbage truck, loading it up with C-4, dynamite, and other miscellaneous explosives, and crashing it through the lobby of the building across the street from the corp HQ where their extraction target is hiding out in order to create a distraction (yes, that's an actual plan, and yes it worked...sort of).

Credit where credit is due...

...as far as half-baked plans go, that one is pretty entertaining.

*Grin*

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Cthulhutech

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <05-31-12/2249:41> »

Credit where credit is due...

...as far as half-baked plans go, that one is pretty entertaining.

*Grin*

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Oh it was VERY entertaining.

One of those things that only really works once, though.  Twice and the authorities start piecing things together if you catch my drift.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <06-01-12/0653:47> »
Yeah, that is crazy enough that I'd give them a fair shot of pulling it off, just for thinking outside the box. However, it would probably come back to haunt them if they forgot to wear masks or edit surveillance footage.

My Characters

Tagz

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <06-01-12/2104:07> »
In my experience the GM doesn't need to do anything extraordinary to make things go FUBAR.  All it really takes is there being a variable that the team didn't find out about or something, or a double cross is always possible.  Just be sure to make it possible for them to figure it out first with legwork, that way if they don't it's on them for not doing their research (and be legit about it, don't make it impossible to find out).

A run gone wrong can be a ton of fun if done correctly.  My players have been on the run from their employers now for a bit because the Johnson figured they knew too much and couldn't risk the potential liability, so he sent a corporate mop up team to the debrief instead of going himself.  They got away and are now in a combination hiding/revenge mode that's gone on for at least eight sessions or so.  I've been very harsh on them, but it's been realistic, a lot of fun for everyone, and if they can make a positive resolution on the situation I intend to reward them handsomely.

Another fun thing I did once, and that is start with things already gone FUBAR.  Obviously this has to be talked out with your group first, but the basic idea is this: instead of giving them the job and letting them do legwork and everything, you tell them the job they already accepted, what they were able to find out, and how the run has gone so far.  I know, it's railroading but that's why you discuss it with them first.  Anyhow, they begin the story in the middle of the run, just as it hits the fan.

What I did on mine was this:

The job was a data exchange (street to lower corp level run).  The Johnson is paying the group to buy a chip with unknown data from an individual for an already agreed on sum.  The Johnson does not completely trust the seller and that is why he's hired you.  The job is to find out in the next 12 hours if the seller has any history of betrayal and if not to exchange the J's cred for the data.  It seems like a milk run with good pay, but not so much pay that it raises eyebrows.
The seller checked out.  No major things stand out as a risk.
So the team goes to make the exchange in unused warehouse.  As GM I place them where they would reasonably be (if the Hacker normally hacks from home/the van then he/she's home/the van, the Sam by the window watching, the Face talking to the seller, etc).  They're about to make the deal when the Street Sam suddenly sees several LoneStar cars pull up and men deploy, taking positions around the building.  There is an announcement that the building is surrounded and to surrender themselves.
The seller turns his back to the Face, pulls his pistol and holds it ready.  "Drek!  We've been set up!  We gotta get the frag ou-"  Just then, his head erupts into a spray of blood and bone bits.  The Face just manages to see a pane of cloudy glass shatter and in the distance behind it a figure of a man in an all black bodysuit get up with a sniper rifle run across the rooftop of the next building and disappear.

The players got to take it from there.

Obviously there was much more to the story then that, but that was all things the players had to figure out to get to the bottom of things, after they managed to get away of course.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <06-01-12/2144:37> »
One thing I'll mention, Tagz, is that sometimes secrets are buried too deeply for you to find out about before you're on the inside, no matter how much legwork you do. Like, say, if that Ares facility you are going to break into happened to have a few flesh form wasps guarding sensitive areas of the building...

My Characters

Tagz

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <06-01-12/2201:17> »
Oh, I'm well aware and have implemented that numerous times.  I just think legwork should be rewarded and get results... most of the time.