NEWS

The current situation with Dragons

• 275 Replies

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #255 on: <05-31-12/2353:43> »
I dunno, how many Japanese businessmen and -women can you jam into a bullet train zooming past Mt. Fuji?  ;)
I swear, he was drag racing that train as a warm-up to some real exercising.  :P
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

bull30548

• Newb
« Reply #256 on: <07-02-12/1822:07> »
This seems like the place to ask this.  Have they established what cause Dunklezahn's assassination and the rift?  Was it suicide or did someone actually figure out a way to get a dragon?  Or better did Dunklezahn using all that power he accumulated blast a hole to the Dweller in the Crossroads.  Whom as a character had the unfortunate luck of encountering that bugger not once but multiple occassions.  To be frankly honest that bastard slapped the stuffing out of me almost every time.  Oh did I mention my running party set him loose on the material plane for a short time, lets just say quite a few dragons came along and slapped us around more.  The funny thing was the dweller seemed more pissed with the dragons than with us and protected us until we figured out how to shoe horn him back onto the Crossroads.
GM Guy
Catalyst Game Labs Agent

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #257 on: <07-02-12/1926:33> »
There is a difference between what actually happened, and what people know.

What actually happened:
Dunkelzhan got a call letting him know that the Azzies had uncovered a power source from the Fourth World, and they were going to use it to open the door for the Horrors. Dunkelzhan uses a nuke, contains it with a ward, and blasts himself to dust to power the Dragonheart and open the Rift. His spirit possessed a cyberzombie, and went to the metaplanes to stand guard on the bridge, to keep the horrors at bay. The Dragonheart was used to 'even out' the spike point that the horrors had tried to get through earlier (See Harlequin's Back).

What people know:
It was terrorists. Or other governments. Or dragons. Or elves. Or something else. Or Dunkelzhan is still alive. Or... Aw, frag it all, we got no clue what the drek happened!
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #258 on: <07-03-12/0003:17> »
... do not take that as canonical.

Mirikon, why in the hell do you keep insisting that Dunk used a nuke?
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #259 on: <07-03-12/0105:34> »
Yeah, AFAIK, no nuke was involved. There was speculation, because "Only a nuke can kill a dragon!", but that was just Shadowtalkers being Shadowtalkers.

Nath

• Omae
« Reply #260 on: <07-03-12/0227:04> »
The use of a nuclear weapon is not canon, but has been mentioned by then-line developer Mike Mulvihill in a website interview by Namergon.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #261 on: <07-03-12/0252:24> »
... do not take that as canonical.

Mirikon, why in the hell do you keep insisting that Dunk used a nuke?
It is mentioned in Artifacts Unbound, actually. While it may not be chip truth, it is certainly what Harlequin believes. Go read the Praxis section. Emphasis mine.

Quote from: Artifacts Unbound, pg 137
Harlequin breathed. He found himself able to move and blink just in time to feel a blast of pure mana sweep over him. Damn the pale wyrm, he thought. Ghostwalker slammed the metaphorical door behind him so none could follow. He didn't care to inform the assembled beings that closing the rift would expel a large amount of energy back onto this plane roughly equivalent to the nuclear weapon Dunkelzahn had used to open in in the first place. Equilibrium needed to be maintained.

My Characters

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #262 on: <07-03-12/0254:22> »
exactly :)

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #263 on: <07-03-12/0424:53> »
Back to the original topic...
How do we know that there actually *IS* a feud between Hestaby and Lofwyr?
For all we know, this whole "brewing Dragon War" thing could be a charade to
get Aztechnology to reveal their new "Anti-dragon weapon" so that, knowing where
it is, the Dragons can get it destroyed?

What was it someone said earlier? "All war is deception"?
I mean, seriously: why would Hestaby have made sure that, though the buildings were
destroyed, the REAL assets of the S-K ME HQ were not harmed? It is very much like
she was making a show of the destruction, not really trying to cripple Lofwyr's activities
in the Middle East...and then, of course, you had Aden come up and visit Hestaby...

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #264 on: <07-03-12/0441:14> »
I have to agree Mara... the whole Dragon war sticks of a set-up.   Yes, the Dragon's are lossing some assets, but not much.  When Lowfyr wants a fellow Dragon dead, he does it up close and personal.   I think they are playing a game, including the UN speach.. but for what purpose?  Maybe they are finally dealling with the Azzie issue, maybe its something else?

On the other hand, Survival of the Fittest had a competiton between the Greats, with lots of rules on what they could and couldn't do.  Maybe this is like that?  Which would explain the minimal loss of life etc.
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #265 on: <07-03-12/0508:15> »
Frankly..I do not trust the dragons one BIT.
They calculate everything TOO much. Hestaby would have known that an address before the UN would
cause issues. The timing of the shot that killed the head of the Shasta shamans was too precise...and the
evidence pointing to Lofwyr just too...obvious. Sure, he might have been sending a message and the
assassin might have had a live feed to do the shoot at the point he/she was supposed to..but...

However, if they do not believe Aztechnology can take down Sirrurg without revealing the location of
its Antri-Dragon System, and, of course, if it is used, then it can be tracked...and "Deniable Assets" sent
after it and the files and the people who worked on it...Then again, depending on what it is..the Dragons
might just be able to justify their actions as a response to an act of war...and who better to explain their
actions to the UN then Hestaby, who has already shown herself willing to "break with tradition" and speak
before the lesser races?

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #266 on: <07-03-12/1032:24> »
I'm of two minds about this. On the one hand, the Hestaby/Lofwyr split could be just the next move in a long con on AZT, but there's the fact that Hestaby and Lofwyr don't get along, and what she is doing IS a big break from tradition. One of several in her time as Loremaster. But dragons do not tend to act so openly against eachother.

My Characters

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #267 on: <07-03-12/1144:30> »
I'm of two minds about this. On the one hand, the Hestaby/Lofwyr split could be just the next move in a long con on AZT, but there's the fact that Hestaby and Lofwyr don't get along, and what she is doing IS a big break from tradition. One of several in her time as Loremaster. But dragons do not tend to act so openly against eachother.

*BLINKS* Waitwaitwaitwait....I thought Lofwyr was the Loremaster? When did Hestaby become the Loremaster and
how the heck did she win it away from Lofwyr without killing him?

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #268 on: <07-03-12/1156:19> »
Survival of the Fittest. Ghostwalker came back and made everyone compete for the title. IIRC, the 'canon' ending was that Hestaby won, though the outcame came down to the runners making a choice on whether to betray Hestaby, or give in to Lofwyr's threat to make their lives hell if they didn't choose him.

My Characters

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #269 on: <07-03-12/1439:46> »
And anybody who thinks they've heard the last of that one is fooling themselves....
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator