NEWS

Line of Sight

• 39 Replies

Blue_Lion

• Omae
« Reply #30 on: <02-21-13/1459:59> »
Your cell phone is Line of Sight radio.
Line of sight between two points exist untell something that stops it exists be it the curve of the earth or physical barrier.

Line of sight is not always vision. It is a unblocked path for a medium between two points. That is the real world Line of Sight. My first job in the military was as a LOS radio technician. So when I look at LOS I look for what whould block it, as that is what deremines it as a range. For nonral sight that whould be a wall or fog, but the same wall or fog has no affect on a LOS radio. Line of sight is a unobstructive path when used as a limit is the point at witch the path is blocked.

For a radio a mountain can block the LOS a radio relay can go around the montian but that does not mean that radio A and B can see each other with LOS just that they can see radio C and it tells them what the other is saying.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #31 on: <02-21-13/1603:02> »
Wow, it's hard to read your stuff.

Basically, though, what you're saying is that Line of Sight ... is the line that goes between an observer and an object of observation.  Whether that's eye and item, transmitter and receiver (which, technically, would be line of transmission, but let's get past that), pointer and target, or mage and the soon-to-be-deceased, it remains the same.

Your initial post appeared to indicate that line of sight was defined by what was blocking it, as compared to whether or not it was clear.  (Line-of-sight is, by general definition, clear - though you can state that in the case of a mobile target or viewer, objects intermittently interposing themselves makes for a broken line-of-sight.  Or, also, that if you can only see part of them, that it's not a clear line-of-sight, though it is still line-of-sight.)

Interesting point - a mage needs LOS on the individual's aura, not on the individual themselves.  As auras extend somewhat from the body, if you're too close to the corner, a good mage can still nail your sorry ass with a powerbolt.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #32 on: <02-21-13/1607:58> »

Shh! One of my characters has Astral Hazing!

Are you trying to get him ganked?!

:P

(On the other hand, no worries...he has Astral Hazing!)

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Blue_Lion

• Omae
« Reply #33 on: <02-22-13/1903:33> »
Wow, it's hard to read your stuff.

Basically, though, what you're saying is that Line of Sight ... is the line that goes between an observer and an object of observation.  Whether that's eye and item, transmitter and receiver (which, technically, would be line of transmission, but let's get past that), pointer and target, or mage and the soon-to-be-deceased, it remains the same.

Your initial post appeared to indicate that line of sight was defined by what was blocking it, as compared to whether or not it was clear.  (Line-of-sight is, by general definition, clear - though you can state that in the case of a mobile target or viewer, objects intermittently interposing themselves makes for a broken line-of-sight.  Or, also, that if you can only see part of them, that it's not a clear line-of-sight, though it is still line-of-sight.)

Interesting point - a mage needs LOS on the individual's aura, not on the individual themselves.  As auras extend somewhat from the body, if you're too close to the corner, a good mage can still nail your sorry ass with a powerbolt.
Sorry if I was unclear but as range limit LOS is limited by (range limit) when it is unable to made or blocked so that is how it is a range limit. I was refering to it as a range limit but yes it is a direct path for the medium in used.
For shadow run mages I think that whould implying beeing able to precive the aura. I think the line of sight is more about direct preception (not guess or fed perception) on the targets accuarte location at the time of casting.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #34 on: <02-22-13/1913:58> »
That ... was never in question.  ????
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Falconer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #35 on: <02-22-13/1920:03> »
Hmm if I'm a mage and I see anything with astral hazing... I'm going to gank it with a direct combat spell on general principle... stunbolt it again just to be sure and send it beyond overflow damage.  (background counts only work on sustained spells by the strict rules).

Better yet... collect it... hack it's arms and legs off... as well as it's tongue, eyes, and ears...  put it in a backpack... and bill it as a portable BGC for taking into space!   In any case... very little pleasant should ever come to these things.

Hmm... better yet... mages everywhere should put up a collective bounty on any and all items with astral hazing.

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #36 on: <02-23-13/0036:50> »
(background counts only work on sustained spells by the strict rules).

Oh, the Strict Rules.  :o

Not the Strict Rules! Where does one find these "Strict Rules"?

Here's the just plain old regular rules:
RC 116, Astral Hazing: "This astral haze affects all attempts to cast magic on, at, or in the vicinity of the character."

SM 118, Background Count and Magic: "Whether positive or negative, in game terms the background count reduces the characters Magic Attribute by its absolute value...A background count-modified Magic attribute counts for all uses of Magic, including dice pools and limitations imposed on the Force of spells or spirits."

Now run along and stop trying to derail the nice people's thread.

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatriate
« Last Edit: <02-23-13/0038:31> by JoeNapalm »

Falconer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #37 on: <02-23-13/0058:54> »
JoeNapalm... once again for a rules lawyer you're a very bad one...  relying on fluff instead of the operative sections of the rules which tell you exactly how to interact a spell when it enters a background count.   The hazing fluff doesn't matter because it's a general statement... it has no rules behind it...  BGC's do hinder all magic cast within their bounds... but i'm not talking about casting within the BGC i'm talking about casting outside it and sending a spell at someone inside it.   The rules it invokes come immediately afterward... it creates a BGC... and this is supposed to be a NEGATIVE quality... not a positive quality.

The latter reduction to a mages magical strength only happens if the mage is within the area of the BGC.

The spells in SR always originate at the caster and travel to the target.   This has been true in all editions of the game since the beginning.   This means the mana is gathered and shaped at the caster then 'channeled' to the target.   Now read the actual RULES for how BGC's interact with spells... the only spells which have their force reduced by the BGC are sustained spells... that's a few paragrphs down in street magic.  But you didn't read that far... instead you take the opportunity to snipe and call me out on things you haven't read in depth.  "...., active foci, sustained spells, and quickened/anchored spells are similarly affected.   Reduce their force by the absolute value of the BGC."    No mention of *INSTANT* spells of which combat spells are the prime example of.

You can only cite me fluff, after fluff, after fluff... written by people who didn't bother to read their own rules.   And you wonder why I have a low opinion of the current crop of fluff authors.  And it's no wonder you have such a low opinion of rules lawyers... because you're such a bad one.

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #38 on: <02-23-13/0202:44> »

You can see that a list of sustained Magic that is "similarly affected" just means that they're also affected?

I mean, not an expert on the rules, but I'm pretty sure that "all uses of Magic" encompasses Instant spells.

That "fluff" rule is separated from your "strict rule" by a single paragraph. I'm pretty sure you're not the arbiter of what is "strict" and what is "fluff"...but even if you were, I don't care. I really can't stress that enough. I don't care what you think.

Speaking of which, how about we apply another "Strict Rule"...?

You see, since I don't care, you can't make me angry. So how about you stop making a fool of yourself trying to do so, and I'll go back to trying to pretend you're not there?

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatriate

blackangel

• Chummer
« Reply #39 on: <02-23-13/0218:55> »
Now, I know how I'm going to handle LOS

Thank you for all your answers  :)

As I'm not sure we are going to have more interesting things upon this subject, I lock this post.

Thanks
BA
"No one is more of a slave than he who thinks himself free without being so." GOETHE