NEWS

Are all immortal elves awakened too?

• 6 Replies

Alrician

• Newb
« on: <08-31-21/1506:19> »
The titel  says it all: Are all immortal elves awakened too?

(taking into account official material)

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #1 on: <08-31-21/1518:19> »
It's ... tricky. Some slept through the the downturn, others were "awake", but at low mana and didn't "express" as an elf (I believe). I'm thinking of Ehran and Harley, who were both awake through the millenia, but weren't being called out for their ears or anything.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <08-31-21/1541:35> »
Mundane/Awakened is a function of the Mana levels.  At a certain point, everyone can use magic to a certain extent. 

So, technically yes all immortals (Elves and otherwise) are Awakened.  The immortality itself is arguably a magical process of some kind.

Are they all massively OP Mary-Sues?  No, that's (mostly) Harley.  : )

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #3 on: <08-31-21/1945:38> »
All the Identified Immortal elves are not only awakened, they are all HIGHLY initiated, and if Surehand and Harkey are an example, have multiple high level artifacts and foci at their beck and call....
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #4 on: <09-01-21/1359:09> »
My understanding is that immortal elves were originally created by great dragons as servants (didn't work out so well, so they stopped doing that).  I'd presume that part of the package that the dragons would have been looking for was substantial magical talent, so it seems likely that all immortal elves are awakened -- but of course exceptions make for good story!

Alrician

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <09-01-21/1420:05> »
but of course exceptions make for good story!

that's the idea I had in mind, too :-)

DeathStrobe

• Omae
  • Front Range Free Decker
« Reply #6 on: <10-04-21/1648:12> »
To be fair the only non-4th World IE we know is also awakened (Frosty). So it does appear to imply that immortality is magical and thus also gives the elf magic powers.

But I like what Beta said. Sounds pretty cool to be the only immortal that can't fling mojo.

It could be a blessing. Like what is being a high level initiate doesn't lend itself well to mental stability. An immortal that never had to travel to the deep meta planes to fight off the Invae or Horrors. They might be mentally healthier in comparison to the other IEs.