NEWS

5E question RE: matrix perception and Invisibility

• 7 Replies

KaiKayden

• Newb
« on: <06-17-21/0338:58> »
Got a question from tonight's game that I couldn't fathom a good answer for, one of our team went invisible and I, as a responsible Matrix person suggested he turn anything wireless off lest the spell be wasted... Which led into a discussion involving can you see Matrix icons from a wireless device if the subject is invisible?

The flavour text seemed to indicate that the invisibility spell cast would stop normal sight, Troll-Infra, scopes etc. spotting the mage in question, which begs the question does it cancel the whole EM spectrum or just active observers in the physical plane or just a specific but wider spectrum? If so then my fancy techno mojo may be no good and I'm worried about nothing!

Apologies if this is covered somewhere, I did my best to search up an answer but couldn't find one.

Cheers all!

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1 on: <06-17-21/0358:28> »
The thing is, Matrix icons aren't directly 1:1 correlated with their physical position. If you want to track the exact position, you need Trace Icon. They can roughly figure it out, and notice 'hey there's unexpected icons within 100m', assuming the place has enough border to not see the neighbours in the Matrix within 100m.

So basically you're made invisible, but you're still online in the Matrix (just like being invisible doesn't hide you in the Astral Plane), and while they can't just spot where you are, they can realise you're there.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #2 on: <06-17-21/0400:30> »
You're right to rell him to turn his equipment off, or silent. Invisibility does nothing gor the matrix. If the mage is wondering around with his commlink active, a matrix perception test WILL find the matrix icon for said commlink.

Also: Invisibility comes in two flavors.

Invisibility: this only works on living targets, and not cameras.
Physical Invisibility: this one works on living targets, and cameras.

Note that neither spell works against Ultrasound sensors. Nor do they provide any use for non visual targeting. (Noise, smell, touch).

Further note:
Both spells are EASILY visible from the astral planr, so neither work on spirits, nor those using astral perception...

(Invisibilty is not the 'I win' button some mages think it is)
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

mcv

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <06-17-21/0401:56> »
Invisibility makes you invisible on the physical plane only. It doesn't effect your visibility in the two other worlds: astral and Matrix. (In fact, an active spell will make you more visible in astral.) To be invisible in the Matrix, you indeed need to run silent.

On the other hand, if you're not running silent, it doesn't make you visible, it makes your icons visible. Your icons are not you. It means people can hack your devices, but they can't target you. You can't aim at someone's physical body through the matrix.

Also, to be invisible to devices (cameras, drones), you need improved invisibility. Regular invisibility is a form of mind control that only works on people with brains. (I suppose you could argue that that could still make your icon invisible to people in the matrix, but it doesn't.)

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #4 on: <06-17-21/0436:15> »

Note that neither spell works against Ultrasound sensors.
Disagree. An Ultrasound sensor would definitely fall under "technological sensors".

mcv

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <06-17-21/0822:32> »

Note that neither spell works against Ultrasound sensors.
Disagree. An Ultrasound sensor would definitely fall under "technological sensors".

It's not vision, though, is it?

Would touch work? Can you feel someone who's invisible? Isn't that kinda what ultrasound sensors do?

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <06-17-21/1009:35> »
You need Silence to be magically protected against Ultrasound.

Also, a bag of flour is a cheap mundane tool to defeat invisibility, too :D
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #7 on: <06-17-21/1611:32> »
Eh, it replaces your vision so I wouldn't count it as Hearing. Its description does say it helps against Invisibility, but doesn't mention Improved Invisibility.