NEWS

I wrote a “getting started with Shadowrun 5e” doc

• 4 Replies

penllawen

• Omae
  • Let's go. In and out. Twenty minute milk run.
« on: <08-29-20/1210:02> »
We all know Shadowrun can be a bit of a slog for new players, so I think the best thing we can do to encourage them is smooth over the rough edges as much as possible. With this in mind, I’ve been writing and compiling this doc from various Shadowrun communities.

The goal here is to give new players and GMs a bit of a bluffer's guide to the rules: what they should ignore (at least at first, if not forever), and some advice on how and when to wing it instead of applying the full, err, *majesty* of RAW.

I've gotten as far as a first draft: https://paydata.org/gms/getting_started_with_shadowrun/

Could people be so kind as to take a look and let me know what you think? Is anything unclear? Is anything missing?

0B

• Chummer
  • Be seeing you
« Reply #1 on: <08-29-20/1342:08> »
I like it, still reading through it!

I don't know why people think karmagen is bad for new players. It's true that it's a system that works a lot better in a video game than a board game, but tools like chummer can alleviate that. The priority system made sense back in the 90s when computers weren't really part of the TTRPG experience.

SR has a crap ton of splatbooks with weird rules in them. I think D&D 3e had the same issue, though maybe it was more clear: I don't think anyone ever ran D&D 3e using all the rules in Unearthed Arcana. Even as a joke. A major mistake I made in running my first 5e campaign was not specifying to the players (Who were also new) what books we'd be using, and not doing the research on those books

Raizer13

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <09-07-20/0051:20> »
Well done

Zuilin

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <08-30-21/1953:16> »
This is really, really good. I know some have moved on to 6E, but we just started playing and we're playing 5E. Very good info in this doc. Way to go.

Maded

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <09-11-21/2026:17> »
It’s well-written. I haven’t used the 5E version of SR in forever because I disliked it from the moment I cracked open the first version of the CRB and tried to run a game. But I think this will be immensely helpful for those who play 5E!
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the WAR ROOM!