NEWS

Difference between cyberware scanner and MAD scanner?

• 12 Replies

Slipperychicken

• Chummer
« on: <12-27-16/2100:13> »
So the cyberware scanner and MAD scanner seem to be very similar in terms of lore function, detecting weapons and metal objects. However, in 5e at least they seem to have divergent rules. I'm struggling a bit to figure out what their niches are, beyond giving me multiple chances to find the same stuff.

I'm having a similar confusion with ultrasound, motion sensors, and radar sensors. They all seem to be getting at the same general idea, but I feel there must be a reason that they're considered separate functions.

Help?

Tym Jalynsfein

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <12-28-16/1631:12> »
While they are all capable of detecting many of the same things, They are all countered with different things. :)
Security Redundancy in areas not potentially covered is a good thing, on the security side of things. Sucks for the runner, though.  :)
The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary. - James. D. Nicoll

adzling

« Reply #2 on: <12-31-16/1220:13> »
There is a table on page 362 that shows you how to detect weapons and cyberware with a Cyberware scanner.

MAD scanners only detect metal; most cyberware is primarily plastic and advanced composites with little metal present. So MAD scanners are primarily used to detect weaponry like guns and knives etc.

Ultrasound, Motion Sensors and Radar all use different sensing technologies that have unique advantages and weaknesses.
Read the rules for each and you'll understand why they differ.

So the cyberware scanner and MAD scanner seem to be very similar in terms of lore function, detecting weapons and metal objects. However, in 5e at least they seem to have divergent rules. I'm struggling a bit to figure out what their niches are, beyond giving me multiple chances to find the same stuff.

I'm having a similar confusion with ultrasound, motion sensors, and radar sensors. They all seem to be getting at the same general idea, but I feel there must be a reason that they're considered separate functions.

Help?

Adamo1618

« Reply #3 on: <01-05-17/0624:15> »
This seems like a job for Complex Action.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #4 on: <01-05-17/0832:42> »
MAD stands for "Magnetic Anomaly Detector".  As it would be very problematic if cyberware was generally magnetic, it's very likely the construction of it avoids that.  From what I understand about chromium, if it is actually used in cyberware, it has weird properties and isn't "fully magnetic".  Specifics aside though, it's believable enough that cybernetics aren't magnetic.  For the record they also aren't ferrous either (no punching a Wendigo with your cyberlimb and hoping to do extra damage) as, if they were, they'd rust and your body fluids would do a number on them.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Slipperychicken

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <01-05-17/1234:46> »
MAD stands for "Magnetic Anomaly Detector".  As it would be very problematic if cyberware was generally magnetic, it's very likely the construction of it avoids that.  From what I understand about chromium, if it is actually used in cyberware, it has weird properties and isn't "fully magnetic".  Specifics aside though, it's believable enough that cybernetics aren't magnetic.  For the record they also aren't ferrous either (no punching a Wendigo with your cyberlimb and hoping to do extra damage) as, if they were, they'd rust and your body fluids would do a number on them.

Chrome flesh does make frequent references to cyber-augmentations as "metal", though I'm not sure whether that's a euphemism or reference to actual metals involved. There's also the question of other non-ferrous things disturbing magnetic fields.

Restricting MAD scanners from finding non-obvious cyberware does make sense from the perspective of differentiating them from cyberware scanners. MAD scanners easily find metallic weapons and objects without noting location or type, while cyberware scanners find nearly everything but have a slightly harder time of it. And the MAD scanner's description does not mention cyberware, so I think it's safe to say that's how they're meant to work.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #6 on: <01-05-17/1314:39> »
Chrome flesh does make frequent references to cyber-augmentations as "metal", though I'm not sure whether that's a euphemism or reference to actual metals involved. There's also the question of other non-ferrous things disturbing magnetic fields.

There's lots of non-magnetic metals too though, like copper, aluminum, zinc, and titanium.  So being metal doesn't mean it'd be found by an MAD.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <01-05-17/1448:07> »
There's also mention of metal in cyber guns only being incorporated into the cyber arm structure. Leads me to think that cyber arms (and possibly some other cyber) contain metals detectable by MAD scanning - cyberware scanners are going to detect both metallic and non-metallic materials regardless.

For extra concealment, cyberguns are built from mostly non-metallic compounds, and any metallic parts are incorporated into the (cyber) arm’s structure.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #8 on: <01-05-17/2153:47> »

There's lots of non-magnetic metals too though, like copper, aluminum, zinc, and titanium.  So being metal doesn't mean it'd be found by an MAD.

yes, but all those metals have very unique conductivity values and can be detected by a low EM field....

More then one way to spot metals then just if it is magnetic or not.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Adamo1618

« Reply #9 on: <01-06-17/0726:31> »
The rules say you can find weapons, no mention about anything else. If they could detect augmentations, that would probably be mentioned.

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #10 on: <01-06-17/0738:06> »
a single hit detects any ferrous-metal weapons or objects

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #11 on: <01-06-17/1014:43> »
a single hit detects any ferrous-metal weapons or objects

In this case they are probably still talking about weapons. But along the stabby/bashy kind.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Shaidar

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <02-14-17/2314:47> »

As for these Motion sensors use High-Frequency, not quite Ultra High, sound to detect motion. Where as Ultrasound sensors use Ultra High-Frequency sound to generate 3D images. And the Radar Sensors use Radio Frequencies to generate 3D images with indications of what the materials used to construct the imaged item.