NEWS

Battling the ultimate PC

• 83 Replies

OFTHEHILLPEOPLE

• Newb
« Reply #75 on: <01-02-13/1834:57> »
Set up a scenario where the players must be on an aircraft then drop the character from a moving plane through "circumstance".  If he survives, he can keep his character. 

Problem solved.
Looking for a game (local or online) --Austin, Texas--

Mithlas

• Omae
« Reply #76 on: <01-02-13/2337:21> »
Honestly, the first step would be to sit down with the player and explain what you perceive the problem to be. A lot of time a simple conversation about expected power levels will let you come to a mutually satisfactory solution
A million points to Crunch for going to the source behind the issue. At least assuming that you didn't want a character like this when you okay'd it in character creation - but Mirikon's already said what I was going to regarding that.

3. Knock him into water, forcing him to exit his suit
4. Attack him when he's not wearing his armor. If he always gets to use it, I think you're not challenging him enough
6. Similar opposition in terms of damage resistance
7. Try to get the group split up and get him to duel someone of equal or greater power
Assuming that you did want a supertank character like this, these are some very good ways to deal with a main battle troll. Having a rival or something (such as I emphasized) can be an interesting way to challenge the character, often without having to wipe out the party just to threaten him.

I've had a sword wielding tank with Arcane Arrestor defeated by a mage casting levitate on him, and just holding him in place while the mage walked away dismissively.
I think that's a really interesting way of handling a tank. It's a confrontation that doesn't entirely bypass the character's strengths, but still shows some of the limitations of what putting that much dice in only one thing would necessarily leave.

Might be the single worst part of getting Ares trying to kill you - they get the perfect chance to test new gear.  "Guy's decked out in military gear?  Great!  Get the acid rockets and the magnesium darts, we might not get a chance like this again!"
You sir are a spiteful, cruel, and awesome individual. I tip my hat to you.

Mirikon's phone book method and Kat9 have already gone over options if this character is making you (and quite possibly the other players) not enjoy the game. If everybody's having fun, then take a few minutes to step back and wonder if this character needs to bleed, or if it fits in the setting you've created and remembering that combat is one of many aspects of Shadowrun should be plenty. Taking the player aside and having a conversation if you're still not sure is of course always recommended.

Caradoc

• Chummer
« Reply #77 on: <01-02-13/2352:59> »
Such a powerful individual won't go unnoticed amongst runners, corporations and syndicates...

He should have a high Street Cred and Public Awareness by now, and maybe a dash of Notoriety if he has been particularly blood-thirsty in resolving missions. Apart from having pissed off a few organisations, there will be as many more who see the character as the perfect tool to use in that mission that has so far killed their own highly trained teams. Convincing the PC won't take much, just a dose of nerve toxin with a regular antidote required or maybe a bit of override coding in his cybergear or similar so that when the organisation makes him an offer, there is no choice but to accept.

He will become a mercenary for a particular organisation and while they'll let him continue his everyday life, there are times when his particular skillset is required and the leash will be yanked to make him comply. Whatever the mission will be, it'll be dirty, bloody and a damn sight more dangerous than just running the streets. Unless of course, his particular abilities are no longer quite as useful as they once were...

Inconnu

• Omae
« Reply #78 on: <01-03-13/0159:44> »
in which case they are suddenly expendable.

Azrael

• Newb
« Reply #79 on: <01-03-13/1519:48> »
if everyone is alright with the character but you need a reason to amp up the encounters well still being fair consider this.

A fixer is going to hand out jobs that play to a teams strengths a failed job gets nobody paid so that team may start getting jobs that fall on the fringes of Merc work this would be a reasonable place for the team to encounter Main Battle Tanks, Infantry Fighting Vehicles and LAVs. In this case Uber troll can shoot it out with the army while the rest of the team gets the job done, then everyone feels valuable.
“For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!”
― Lord Byron, Selected Poems

Inconnu

• Omae
« Reply #80 on: <01-03-13/2107:10> »
Unless the fixer is paid to make SURE they don't succeed.

Glyph

• Ace Runner
« Reply #81 on: <01-03-13/2210:18> »
I would recommend against things like cranial bombs, toxins with the antidote held hostage, and such.  They can occasionally be part of a story where the PC tries to get out from under the organization's thumb, but most of the time, it is a GM power trip that can lead to the group quitting in disgust.  It adds nothing to the enjoyment of the game, and it isn't even necessary.  The PCs are freelance saboteurs, mercenaries, and spies, and the GM controls who offers them jobs, what kind of jobs they are, and what they get paid.  The GM shouldn't need any more control over the characters on top of that.

Too many suggestions here seem to be treating it as an exercise in finding the most unfair way to "punish" the character with inescapable maiming or death.  Even if it works, it sends the wrong message.  You don't want the player to think "Hmm, I guess my next tank needs to be even tougher, since the last one got killed so easily."

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #82 on: <01-03-13/2219:41> »
Too many suggestions here seem to be treating it as an exercise in finding the most unfair way to "punish" the character with inescapable maiming or death.  Even if it works, it sends the wrong message.  You don't want the player to think "Hmm, I guess my next tank needs to be even tougher, since the last one got killed so easily."

Yeah, the message he should get it "Specialization is for Insects." Diversity is how you survive in the Shadows, not being so specialized
that you literally cannot do anything outside of your specialty. Heck, even my group's Heavy Weapons Troll is looking at getting the
skills for basic hacking(since, well..Charisma wise? Face work just isn't going to cut it. And he rides in the turret.)

prismite

• Omae
« Reply #83 on: <01-08-13/2319:55> »

I have to agree. I ran a game where a player had a similar over-bearing combat troll. He realized his folley when his fellow runners refused to let him come on a job because they were tired of Elite Units and APDS rounds flying around like water. Whats good for the goose...
Want to join a skype game on R20 on Sundays? PM me!