NEWS

Battling the ultimate PC

• 83 Replies

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #30 on: <12-23-12/2003:44> »
Remember, if the PC is being a pain to a corp, eventually said corp will go gunning for her/him.  Given that the corp has thousands of times more resources than the PC, and it gets ugly very fast.

As long as the PC isn't being an idiot about it, he should be able to help his team out a lot.  If he abuses it (in setting, not game mechanics-wise) then the chance of cheesing off someone with the ability to neuter the character becomes very high.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #31 on: <12-23-12/2102:30> »
Which gives one extra die, maybe?

That's still not significant compared to the negative modifiers (we are talking -12 and worse, probably -20).  Just call for damage, spend the Edge (or Team Rating) and pop the guy.  Remember, if the die pool drops to 0 or less, Edge expenditure treats it as starting from 0.  So the shooter will always have some dice to roll.

Which is why you never piss off Mr. Lucky... guy will always have at least 8 dice to throw to shoot you where it hurts. ;D
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #32 on: <12-24-12/0139:37> »
Geez, you people really want to haul in the super-skillers.  For every one of those top-notch snipers (skill 6, speciality +2), I bet you yon corporation has forty standard mooks.

With grenades.

Chunky salsa, anyone?

Seriously - look at this as the problem confronted by Tucker's Kobolds, and use the same techniques.  A PC can defend against single attacks, even many single attacks; it's the environment (and uncaring AoE attacks) that he'll get screwed over by.  Blast him off a ledge; blow him into the water.  Hit his area with a chemical attack, or a fire attack, or very nearly anything that doesn't attack him directly, and he'll very soon be crying for his mother to come bail him out.  In fact, get his mother ...
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #33 on: <12-24-12/0151:38> »
Geez, you people really want to haul in the super-skillers.  For every one of those top-notch snipers (skill 6, speciality +2), I bet you yon corporation has forty standard mooks.

With grenades.

Chunky salsa, anyone?

I do believe I mentioned High Velocity grenade launchers.  With Gecko Grenades.  Why waste 40 mooks (by which I mean the money to send and outfit 40 mooks) when you can send 1 with the right firearm?
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #34 on: <12-24-12/0505:54> »
Because your R&D on your HV Grenade Launcher is going to cost you more than just equipping all your guys with three or four grenades.  Why bother with another ultra-tech item that you're going to have to do research for, that's going to cost you a bunch of cash, and that you aren't going to want to give to anyone but a couple of guys?
Pananagutan & End/Line

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #35 on: <12-24-12/0708:28> »
Because your R&D on your HV Grenade Launcher is going to cost you more than just equipping all your guys with three or four grenades.  Why bother with another ultra-tech item that you're going to have to do research for, that's going to cost you a bunch of cash, and that you aren't going to want to give to anyone but a couple of guys?

Or, you know, you could just use a good ol' ITS Gonryu.

It's not HV, but it is Full Auto... essentially the 2070s version of the real-world Mk-19.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #36 on: <12-24-12/0716:40> »
Full-auto White Phosphorus grenades will ruin anyone's day. Especially with an airburst link.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #37 on: <12-24-12/1342:38> »
Wilhelm Petrovich, my good friend!!
Pananagutan & End/Line

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #38 on: <12-24-12/1753:16> »

One assumes they'd want to sell it to militaries, or start to equip their own people with it to stop other such attackers.  Plus, one can never forget the value of more explosive.

Might be the single worst part of getting Ares trying to kill you - they get the perfect chance to test new gear.  "Guy's decked out in military gear?  Great!  Get the acid rockets and the magnesium darts, we might not get a chance like this again!"
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Bonesinger

• Newb
« Reply #39 on: <12-24-12/2158:58> »
I would first like to know whether you are actively trying to kill his character for good or just getting rid of some of his gear.
In the former case, having him falling (either from a building or a plane) would make his armor pretty useless. Making him swim would also force him to let go of his military armor. Without the armor, he's gonna have a bad time. Simply parting him from his arcane arrestor would give mages an edge against him again. The best way to put him down permanently will be with unconventional weaponry (fire/heat, extreme cold, electricity, pressure, poison gas, etc). 

If you just want to part him his gear, using sonic weaponry will do wonders, like you found out. Also, like Tagz noted here, having some routine patrol pull him over should do the trick too.
RHat also noted that his cyberware can be vulnerable, if he's using any.
Here, I would suggest that you trick him into a work, something along these lines:
  • Call him for an exclusive job (bodyguard some VIP, for instance)
  • Ask him to meet the target in a room (or make him wait in said room for whatever other reason)
  • Seal the room and put him to sleep with gas or crank up/down the heat
  • Tell him that he'll only live by stripping naked and putting all his stuff in a box
  • Special team enters, gets the box and knocks him out
  • He awakens with a message: "Next time, I won't be so kind to you -Villain McEvil"
You could put the whole group there just for extra evilish fun.

Then again, more of his backstory would help to brew the exact way to put him back with his char naked. What corps has he run against? What enemies could be well aware of him as a dangerous enemy? Who could be actively hunting him down?

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #40 on: <12-25-12/0300:31> »
Here, I would suggest that you trick him into a work, something along these lines:
  • Ask him to meet the target in a room (or make him wait in said room for whatever other reason)
  • Tell him that he'll only live by stripping naked and putting all his stuff in a box
  • He awakens with a message: "Next time, I won't be so kind to you -Villain McEvil"

Then again, more of his backstory would help to brew the exact way to put him back with his char naked. What corps has he run against? What enemies could be well aware of him as a dangerous enemy? Who could be actively hunting him down?

...  That would be a Bad Move.  Primarily because it violates the DBAD Principle.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

jamesfirecat

• Chummer
« Reply #41 on: <12-25-12/1014:02> »
I would first like to know whether you are actively trying to kill his character for good or just getting rid of some of his gear.
In the former case, having him falling (either from a building or a plane) would make his armor pretty useless. Making him swim would also force him to let go of his military armor. Without the armor, he's gonna have a bad time. Simply parting him from his arcane arrestor would give mages an edge against him again. The best way to put him down permanently will be with unconventional weaponry (fire/heat, extreme cold, electricity, pressure, poison gas, etc). 

If you just want to part him his gear, using sonic weaponry will do wonders, like you found out. Also, like Tagz noted here, having some routine patrol pull him over should do the trick too.
RHat also noted that his cyberware can be vulnerable, if he's using any.

"Simply parting him from his arcane arrestor would give mages an edge against him again"

You do realize that arcane arrester is a character quality and not a piece of equipment right?  That part of you of your suggestion makes about as much sense as saying "This guy is really tough because he's a troll... F only we could find some way to take the fact that he is a troll away from him......"

Also, taking away items from players without giving them anything back or a chance to get them back later in the mission is the height of being a dickish GM would you suggest stealing a mages focuses if they were getting too powerful as well?

Also why are your npcs being such idiots that they are shooting at the huge cybered up troll in the first place?  If the group Mage is using magic armor on him then it means they are sustaining one more spell that can not be used to keep themselves alive and unperffereated by bullets.  Target the rest of the party first and try to kill them.  Gank the Mage, and the troll will loose his magic armor and any counter spelling he had that will make him much easier to take down.

You can solve this problem by working around it rather than having to find a way to punish a character for doing their job (a street samurai should be big strong and tough in exchange for which they do not have magic, and can not hack )

« Last Edit: <12-25-12/1026:25> by jamesfirecat »

Bonesinger

• Newb
« Reply #42 on: <12-25-12/1037:43> »
My bad, i'm still learning my way through Shadowrun, so I still don't have all qualities and gear and whatnot memorized.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #43 on: <12-25-12/1055:17> »
I find that few things are as nasty as applying the rules for overlapping grenades combined with the chunky salsa rules.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

DaveDaveDaave

• Chummer
  • I like Pies
« Reply #44 on: <12-25-12/1156:32> »
Why is the Corp he`s cheesed off going after him in person? I mean, isn`t that what shadowrunners are for?  8) Get a runner to seduce him and have him wake up without his wang and a small note gekko taped to his chest. Don`t Do It Again Love Ares.
An Awful lot of people believe a lot of very strange things indeed for no valid reason I can see. They can`t all be right but it is quite likely they all can be very wrong.