NEWS

6e Elf Gunslinger bare bones build

• 35 Replies

Hibiki54

• Omae
« Reply #30 on: <04-01-20/0424:14> »
I think you can only take "Impaired Attribute" once.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #31 on: <04-01-20/0852:29> »
Doesn't specifically limit or enable multiple attributes.  I'm good with either interpretation at any given table.  But Allergy and Addiction are similar, they don't specifically enable or prohibit taking multiple times.

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #32 on: <04-01-20/1123:35> »
Well Missions is written to a low threat bar. Of course the GM can always ramp up the difficulty when there's optimizers at the table.  But writing to cater to the optimizers threatens to give the players who design characters with 6-9 dice in a pool a Bad Time.

I certainly would not tier difficulty towards the optimizers, but it could easily stand to be ramped up from the previous baseline. I agree with Shinobi that assuming dice pools of 6-19, or even just 12, is really lowball. Without even trying to minmax, you're looking at dice pools of 14 for one's primary role, and 13 for secondary. That figure is almost certain to be augmented to some degree as well.
"TL:DR 6e's reduction of meaningful choices is akin to forcing everyone to wear training wheels. Now it's just becomes a bunch of toddlers riding around on tricycles they can't fall off of." - Adzling

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #33 on: <04-01-20/1353:07> »
Yeah.  Like I said I can see some specific exceptions.  Like going all the way back to 1E astral security mages in our games targeted focuses. So I can see mages not taking them until they can mask them.  We as a group thematically really dislike mixing tech with magic so pure mages and adepts are common. And a pure adept might be 12 dice, though I'd expect at least 2 dice in +skill if they didn't augment agility so 14 dice and if its a combat skill just + agility 1 or 2. But, I guess its possible they focused entirely on other stuff out of the gate like critical strike 6 or something weird. But that's a weird outlier which I wouldn't balance missions around.

Both of the my exceptions though are my table, so I'd expect I'd be balancing a game around our weirdness.  Though the focus one just makes sense to me.  The setting is set up that when you trip a astral alarm a astral mage shows up and there are only a few things they can target your focuses are one of them. Though in 6E I haven't the foggiest idea how you target a focus.  It has a astral form, but that's all I know. 

Hibiki54

• Omae
« Reply #34 on: <04-03-20/0344:46> »
Doesn't specifically limit or enable multiple attributes.  I'm good with either interpretation at any given table.  But Allergy and Addiction are similar, they don't specifically enable or prohibit taking multiple times.

I'm just going off of what HLO allows since they are pretty much on the ball with these things.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #35 on: <04-03-20/0920:20> »
Anyone making a Shadowrun character generator is going to have to make some rules calls along the way.  I don't believe any of them have any special channel of communication to CGL for clarification.  At least no better than anyone else does.

Like I said, you could argue the RAW for either case for multiple qualities.  Whatever works for you table. 

For the build, reducing or eliminating Negative Qualities "just" reduces Karma available.  Exceptional Attribute Agility would be the first to go as it's a pure luxury pick, which frees up an Attribute point for either Str or Logic which frees up 10 Karma as well.  You could do this build without Impaired Attribute at all if it's banned at your table if you replace Exceptional and Impaired Attribute qualities with three Negative Qualities, and only loose one point of Agility.  Not a big deal.