NEWS

Sustaining Spells, Astral Space and Astral Signature and Mentor

• 5 Replies

Mollari

• Newb
« on: <06-03-18/2341:07> »
Hey guys. 3 Questions:

1) If someone is sustaining a spell, what does this look like on the astral? I have always run it that if someone looks in the astral they can always see
         a) active magic spells (like mana barriers)
         b) dual natured people (challenged by masking)
If someone has a spell on them like invisibility or mask, is that immediately noticeable on the astral or does it need to be assensed?

2) An astral signature is left at the place where the caster was standing, and where it took affect. If you are sustaining a spell, are you trailing behind a signature or is it just constantly active on you?

3) Mentor's mask lights up when casting magic. The description lists a passive adept power as also triggering this. Does Mentors mask trigger for a quickened spell?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1 on: <06-04-18/0212:45> »
1: It's an astral entity, but to be fair there's plenty of those. For spells it's also probably a tiny one, so it'd take some effort to spot against someone's natural aura. So I'd say that unless they have a whole bunch unmasked on them, it'd take at least an Assensing test to realise they have spells on.

Your a and b make sense, and of course the downside is that when you're looking at the Abyss, it can look back at you (and astrally punch your lights out, so be careful with going Astral in a Shedim/Bug place).

2: I'd say it's just constantly active on you. Otherwise you'd be forced to clean up behind you all the time. -.- Seriously though, you're mostly impacting yourself there, not enforcing your mana onto others. Now a fireball...

3: Nah, it's when casting, not when you have something on you already, no?
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Mollari

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <06-04-18/0238:32> »
Wooooo!

A response from Michael Chandra!

I've read a bunch of your posts from like 2014 but thought you went silent. Great to have the ninja back slicing up questions into bite sized answers.

OK thanks for the clarification.
I actually interpreted astral signatures as literally leaving behind a trail when you had a spell on. This is a lot more forgiving than I had originally thought.

And thanks for the confirmation of the Mentor's mask.
So it's kinda like a mask that covers your face in a flash. Like a lightning flash and people see a mask on you only to vanish. Cool!

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #3 on: <06-04-18/0243:18> »
Yeah I haven't been active for 3.5 years here and over 2 years on Shadowrun Universe (ever since they archived the Tabletop section there). Sprawl-Ops Kickstarter brought me back. I'm still trying to find time to get back up to speed on some things. =P

There is 1 way of getting a semi-permanent Mentor's Mask. =P Channel a Spirit, that has the possibility of triggering the Mask. (Oh god I had 4 players Channeling, that's what I get for houseruling Movement to work in a not-nerfed-enough manner when Channeling...)

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <06-04-18/0251:33> »
Unlike your living Aura, an active spell (or active focus) will have a tangible Astral Form. Astral Forms are obvious to notice and doesn't require a test. Odds that an astral observer will be interested in spending a complex action to observe you in detail increase a lot if he see that you also have active magic.

Astral Forms (such as your sustained spell) that run into other Astral Forms (such as a Ward) cause Astral Intersection which in turn might cause Disruption (in this case ending your sustained spell).

If someone has a spell on them like invisibility or mask, is that immediately noticeable on the astral or does it need to be assensed?

First of all, their regular astral aura is not invisible at all on the astral plane. The invisibility spell only affect physical sight and only on the physical plane. 

Second of all. The active spell will have an Astral Form which will be obvious for an astral observer.

However, for an astral observer it is not obvious what spell class it is. Or what force it is cast at. To find out that he need to spend a simple action to observe in detail (astral perception which is resolved with the assensing skill).

If you are sustaining a spell, are you trailing behind a signature or is it just constantly active on you?
On you.

My reasoning for this:

If you sustain an AoE spell then that area will have an astral form representing your active spell. People walking into the area will be affected by the spell. People walking out of the area will no longer be affected by the spell. The astral form of the active spell in the area will carry your astral signature. A skilled astral investigator might assense the area to find your astral signature even hours after the spell effect end.

If you target a person with an increase reflexes spell then it will be on that person the astral form of the active spell will be. In this case the effect will not end when he leave the area where you first cast the spell. As the subject walk around the astral form of your active sustained spell will follow him around. Unlike the AoE example above the astral form of the active spell is not fixed to a location or an area. It is anchored to the astral aura of your target. And the active spell will carry your astral signature. If you sustain the spell and someone assense the target after the target left the area the magician will still sense the astral form of the still active sustained spell and if he is skilled he might also sense your astral signature on that astral form. If the subject walk through a ward then the astral form of the active spell that carry your astral signature might be disrupted (due to astral intersection). It can be used as a link to astral track the spell back to its origin. Even hours after the spell effect end.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #5 on: <06-04-18/0254:12> »
One thing I forgot to mention: Manascape was rather popular with some of my runners to help disguise themselves on the Astral as well. Nothing like walking around invisible and your aura giving you away to an astral observer...

(And yes I made my players eat that tactic back when some Bug-hostages turned out to be Bugs but their Assensing didn't break the Manascape... They ended up taking some grenades in the back from the people they wanted to protect.)