NEWS

Playing previous seasons?

• 7 Replies

Pollution

• Newb
« on: <08-22-13/1652:31> »
The answer SHOULD be obvious, but I can't find it in any of the FAQs or websites.  I have a group who, save for 1 person, is completely Noob when it comes to Shadowrun.  I had been thinking about running Missions unofficially, but then thought doing it official like would be more interesting (Indianapolis group here, we have more than a few cons in the area where I could run games).

BUT, since I'd be starting them off as them being noobs, and not being familiar with 5th ed. in more than passing, I was thinking about running them through Seasons 2-4 (i.e. the 4th/4thA content).  My question would be whether or not there are still previous seasons running, OR if a player could somehow jump from season to season (in case of con) baring season 5 (due to the new edition)?

I guess what I'm asking is, can one be an Agent and an official Missions GM outside of 5th ed?

The Masked Ferret

• Chummer
  • CDT Special Agent
« Reply #1 on: <08-22-13/1951:08> »
You are still playing missions, so it should still count.
SpeechThoughtMatrix/E-mail/TextingAstralSub-vocal

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #2 on: <08-22-13/2358:21> »
Running and playing Missions, doesn't really matter what season or edition you're in, so long as you're having fun.  But characters can only move around within the same season.  So if you're running a Season 3 manhattan game, the characters can not freely move between it and a Season 4 Seattle game. Once you move up to the next season, you cannot go backward.

As for Agents, since the purpose of Catalyst Demo Team Agents is to support the company and the product, if you're running events at local game stores or conventions, you should likely be running the current edition and season.  Since Season 5 is new though, if you're already running Season 4 at your local game store, there's no reason to cut the season short.  Finish it out, then upgrade to the new edition for the next game.  Convention games should all be SR5 and ideally be the 2013 CMPs (and/or the new CMP compilations Sprawl Wilds and Firing Line).

Pollution

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <08-23-13/0730:48> »
Running and playing Missions, doesn't really matter what season or edition you're in, so long as you're having fun.  But characters can only move around within the same season.  So if you're running a Season 3 manhattan game, the characters can not freely move between it and a Season 4 Seattle game. Once you move up to the next season, you cannot go backward.

As for Agents, since the purpose of Catalyst Demo Team Agents is to support the company and the product, if you're running events at local game stores or conventions, you should likely be running the current edition and season.  Since Season 5 is new though, if you're already running Season 4 at your local game store, there's no reason to cut the season short.  Finish it out, then upgrade to the new edition for the next game.  Convention games should all be SR5 and ideally be the 2013 CMPs (and/or the new CMP compilations Sprawl Wilds and Firing Line).

Ah HA!

I had actually JUST figured out how the seasons and conventions all work together, and was interested in running for future Season 5 Prime Runner games (i.e. play S3/4, then convert over to S5 for Prime Missions).  Having talked with the small group I have, I kinda think we'll be running Sprawl Wilds and Firing Line, followed by S5 content.

I'm actually heading out to Arsenal Game room in Indy after work today to talk with them about backing me for Agent status.  But regardless of status, I'll be opening up the group to anyone interested and set up for a VERY interesting time (SR Indy Meetup usually sees anywhere from 5-10 players showing up, with a lot more RSVPing.  A Missions campaign would most likely result in me running more than 1 game per day).

The only thing I have against me doing all this is my availability of every other week, I'd love to do weekly, but ugh, wife and kids man, wife and kids....

Thanks for the help Bull!

wepv

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <09-10-13/1536:07> »
If you have that many people you could also start grooming one or two of them as extra GMs. My store has at least 2 tables every week and we have 2 Agents and myself as GMs and even that is not always enough due to real life.

juanfranela

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <09-15-13/1352:49> »
Late to the party, but this was a question I had, too.  I am a total noob, so forgive me if I'm not up to speed on how all this works. 

As I understand it, one 4-hour mission is released per month.  If I'm running this at a game store, that means one Missions event per month, right?

If missions were to be run more frequently, older seasons could be run as long as characters play within their respective season, correct?

If players only have the 5th edition rulebook, how difficult will it be to run older seasons?

martinchaen

« Reply #6 on: <09-15-13/1504:46> »
juanfranela: season 1 was written for SR3, seasons 2 through 4 were written for SR4, and season 5 is written for SR5. There's no real translation that I've found, so you'd have to do it all yourself.

I chose to just GM 2 through 4 in sr4 rules.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #7 on: <09-15-13/1512:55> »
Doing previous seasons in Fifth Edition won't be an option by the way, since they are written for Fourth and the differences in the rules are too significant. You'd have to convert every matrix part and every enemy, not to mention that enemies are meant to have slightly boosted skills in SR5 and some things haven't been translated yet.

What you can do instead is get Sprawl Wilds and Firing Line, which each include 4 adventures statted for both SR4 and SR5. If you play them in SR5, they are legal for Season 5. Agents which have done several events can get both with ease, you could buy them physical for $20 or in pdf for $12 per collection-book.

Note that I do not know whether there will be more books like Sprawl Wilds and Firing Line, though I really hope so myself. For example, I hope Dragon Song and  Dangerous Games become available for Season 5 or 6 filler missions one day.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!