NEWS

Monowire trap

• 12 Replies

Jaffer

• Newb
« on: <08-03-11/0324:58> »
I had this thought about monowire as a defensive weapon when I found it.

Current snipers sometimes use this trick when shooting from a building, but it can be employed by almost anyone.
Snipers will string a single line of fishing wire, at about 4.5' off the ground, across one or more doorways that leads to their position.
It is at neck height for 2 reasons, one; to slice the neck of someone moving quickly through the door and 2; so the sniper knows they can move through the house freely if they keep low.

If you did this with monowire, it would be even more deadly, as it's harder to see, and cuts easier.
You wouldn't have to stop at one string with monowire, string 4 or five up and turn the first person who comes through into mince meat...

Chrona

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <08-03-11/0327:28> »
This is a common trap, the face in my PBP, Messy Biz, did it at shin height

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #2 on: <08-03-11/0328:59> »
Knee-level.  Dwarves would go under the wire at that level, and literally cutting someone off at the knees leaves them rather vulnerable to situations.  Even if they have cybernetic legs.  (Alternatively, two lines in a cross-section, with a third bisecting the doorway height-wise.  Better to be safe than cheap.).

Trapping your backtrail is a good idea for more than just snipers.

BTW:  Detecting fishing line and monofilament wire can be done with silly string.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
  • Ask me about NERPS! 30% Sales!
« Reply #3 on: <08-03-11/0428:22> »
This is a common trap, the face in my PBP, Messy Biz, did it at shin height
Yeah, knee or shin height because of different metahuman sizes and let's face it, you're not the only one who sneaks around the place. Anyone doing infiltration might walk past/below the neck-height traps without even knowing how lucky they got.

I understand why snipers nowadays would do it at neck height, but they don't have monowire. Even at knee-height it'll often do a lot more damage than current-day cheesewire would do at neck-height.
I read about the silly string solution elsewhere too, but be honest, how many 'runners, mercs or security guards have silly string in their standard equipment?

Edit: HINT: Try not to glitch when setting up the trap. Glitches and monowire are a bad combination.
« Last Edit: <08-03-11/0431:38> by Xzylvador »

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #4 on: <08-03-11/0943:55> »
Hm. Optionally, rig grenades to the monowire so that if the victim isn't killed by slicing death, they eat an explosion to the face.

-k

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #5 on: <08-03-11/1129:41> »
Neck-level...knee-level...

Try this:

:o

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatraite

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #6 on: <08-03-11/1144:53> »
I read about the silly string solution elsewhere too, but be honest, how many 'runners, mercs or security guards have silly string in their standard equipment?
Mercs are more likely, as they tend to have to clear out and secure facilities and villages that probably have everything from stolen high-end electronic traps to old skool "Grenade Pin on a Fishing Line to an IED".  Cheap, light weight, easy to get, and effective.  Perfect for a merc.  (Professional UN Soldiers doing similar jobs probably a can or two as well.).

Shadowrunners, less so, but sometimes for Monowire inspection if things start getting way too easy.  So, depends on what they're equipped for, and what they're expecting.

Security guards, only for the office parties.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Bane

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <08-03-11/1439:17> »
I've done a few interesting things with this.
Take something thin someone can actually trip on, like a rope or something. This is best in the dark... Then take some monowire and string them both up. The rope at foot level, and the wire at waist, but string the wire a bit past the rope. They trip on the rope, and fall right into the wire.
Peace is a lie.

Trenchknife

• Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <08-03-11/2312:43> »
Answer to monowire is a flamethrower.

Best way to deal with a sniper is to get to cover and geek him when he rabbits.  Don't go after him b/c he's likely to have prepared nastiness for interlopers and those wishing him harm.

Course, if that's too subtle just blow up the building he's using for cover.  Artillery happens.

"King of the battle field"
It's not the man with the gun that gets you.  It's the three bullets he fired that tore through you vital organs that's killed you.

Onion Man

• Omae
  • Internet is a proper noun, capitalize every time
« Reply #9 on: <08-03-11/2315:37> »

Course, if that's too subtle just blow up the building he's using for cover.  Artillery happens.

Nobody I game with ever appreciates when I go straight to demolitions as a solution to ALL of the 6th world's problems.
Description/Narrative
{Thoughts}
"Conversation"
"Voice over commlink"
Code: [Select]
Text over commlinkOrson "Pig" Fletcher

Trenchknife

• Chummer
« Reply #10 on: <08-03-11/2317:01> »
Nobody I game with ever appreciates when I go straight to demolitions as a solution to ALL of the 6th world's problems.

Could that be because they keep finding themselves in the blast radius?
It's not the man with the gun that gets you.  It's the three bullets he fired that tore through you vital organs that's killed you.

Onion Man

• Omae
  • Internet is a proper noun, capitalize every time
« Reply #11 on: <08-03-11/2320:17> »

Could that be because they keep finding themselves in the blast radius?
I haven't blown up a whole group since I sinkholed that dusty, northwestern town in a RIFTS game...

72 grenades and a Dog Boy for the explosion.
Description/Narrative
{Thoughts}
"Conversation"
"Voice over commlink"
Code: [Select]
Text over commlinkOrson "Pig" Fletcher

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #12 on: <08-04-11/0019:28> »
Quoth the Raven, "Bangalore"

I appreciate a good demo man for solutions to all of life's problems.  But I've never been able to play Shadowrun, and am likely nowhere near you.  :(

#ThisTaserGoesTo11