NEWS

Need help fleshing out an adventure idea for new group

• 5 Replies

DeadMeat

• Newb
« on: <02-05-13/1940:00> »
So, here is the adventure idea that came to me literally in the shower, I just need some ideas on how to go about it.  Most of the group is made up of fairly experienced RPG players, although not specifically with SR.  I was trying to think of a good intro into the mechanics of the game without spending an entire night just making characters.  Maybe not a one-shot adventure, but something we could get done in a handful of sessions.   So of course I thought pre-gen, that is when the "flux-capacitor" moment hit me.  The whole group are clones.  Some super wealthy corp man, has clones made of himself to "live forever", in the event of his death a clone is activated and loaded with his personality, no prob, right?  Except this time he is ganked during the "backup" job, leaving the clones no access to his "current" self.  Another side effect of the killjob is that ALL of the remaining clones are activated instead of just one.  I'd like to make the clones, partially programmed, leaving just enough build points to allow for a little personalization, but have a framework with a lot of the work done for them.  So, ideas on how many points should I prebuild and how many should I leave for them to tweak? 

Next step, is that I was thinking of having their first job be finding out who murdered him/them.  I figured I'd just find a generic murder mystery and adapt it, however, I can't seem to find the right sort of story to base it on.  Suggestions?

If anyone can help me get this started I'd appreciate it.  Know of an adventure that would easily adapt, let me know your thoughts and where I can buy the adventure you have in mind. 

Got more to add to my outline, I'd like to hear any suggestions.

Thanks!
-Kyle

I_V_Saur

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <02-05-13/2129:01> »
Since they're Clones, they should have the same physical stats. That means that, whatever their Original was, should be a diverse field with plenty of room for overspecialization.

The Original should probably be a Prime Runner, a 500-800 BP monster who, in their field, is one of the best in the world. If they were a corp suit, the party would be incorporated, and it wouldn't really be a Shadowrun game.

They would have only hazy memories of some of the Original's Contacts - and they'd remember their standing differently. 6/6 Fixer? Burned that bridge, he's now a 1/3 who's on his way out of biz. 1/4 Corp suit? Nope, he moved up the chain, and thanks to the Original, and so he's now 3/6. They don't even know this, so their interactions may actually negatively effect their relationships.

Their bodies would be the same, and thus their Physical stats. Maybe their Mental stats would be, too. But their Skills? Different.

Perhaps one or more are Awakened, even if only Latent.

DeadMeat

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <02-06-13/1536:52> »
Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, physically they are identical and a base set of skills are in place.  So far I've used about 300 out of the 400 BP.  I'm going to let them outfit themselves after the fact.  As, this is intended as an introductory adventure for the new players, I'm not overly concerned about balance, while we complete this mission they are all continuing to build their "forever" characters.   

Reiper

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <02-06-13/2219:46> »
The only problem I see, is it isn't their character really, its one that you made.

But as you stated, its an introduction run, and they will end up building their own forever characters, so I don't think it will cause any real problems down the road.
Talk
Thoughts
Astral
Matrix
"Hello, my name is Johnson, I would like to introduce you to my associates, Mr. Johnson, Mr. Johnson, and Mrs. Johnson."

DeadMeat

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <02-06-13/2230:50> »
For their first time, I thought pre-gens would be more disposable and would let them be a little more adventuresome and less cautious about pushing the limits, which I think is the heart of a runner.

Reiper

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <02-06-13/2333:36> »
For their first time, I thought pre-gens would be more disposable and would let them be a little more adventuresome and less cautious about pushing the limits, which I think is the heart of a runner.

I can see where you are coming from on that.
Talk
Thoughts
Astral
Matrix
"Hello, my name is Johnson, I would like to introduce you to my associates, Mr. Johnson, Mr. Johnson, and Mrs. Johnson."