NEWS

URGENTLY Need a recommendation for a good one-shot.

• 13 Replies

TheHug

• Newb
« on: <11-18-12/1608:36> »
So the group I sort of play with (we've met about 5 times in more months than that) has a major problem with scheduling. Also I brought two new players into the fold. I'm hoping to refine this group of six people into a relatively stable ongoing campaign.

But right now, tonight, I have two players who have never played before (one who knows D&D, one who is new to tabletop) who already have characters ready, and one player who has played at my table a few times now. I need a good one-shot or missions adventure for them in the next four hours because I don't have anything ready. I have On The Run from the companion, but I've heard less than stellar things.

How is the latest season of missions? I like the idea of plots revolving around the Ork underground, etc. Can I throw them up against the first one there?

Much obliged.

Kat9

« Reply #1 on: <11-18-12/1616:16> »
Sending it to your inbox.

TheHug

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <11-18-12/1619:50> »
Thanks!

...I didn't know I had an inbox.

Vale

• Newb
  • Living life one nuyen at a time.
« Reply #3 on: <11-18-12/1621:32> »
Honestly, you can't get much better (in my opinion) than a Food Fight/On the Run combo.

Food Fight is part of the Shadowrun Quick-Start Rules and every group I've ever run, new players or old hands, always enjoy it. It gives a solid reason for party formation, allows new players to learn the basics and have fun doing it. On the Run, in my mind is an excellent follow-up when used together. It has the feel of a legitimate mission without (most of) the lethality. That said, the book is laid out terribly so definitely familiarize yourself with the entire book ahead of time. And be wary of the (for you) 22 person fight at the end.

I personally haven't run the Seattle missions against my group yet (starting this week actually), but from what I've read of them, they're great modules but if you're starting with a group that's 1/3 newbies, it might be a bit much if they feel out of their depth. Missions are not kind to the uninitiated.

In any case, check them out and see if you think they're appropriate for your group.

Kat9

« Reply #4 on: <11-18-12/1624:04> »
Thanks!

...I didn't know I had an inbox.

Its there now.

TheHug

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <11-18-12/1628:36> »
Got it Kat9. I did the setup!

I think I need something in a more fully-cooked form for tonight, though. Haven't been GMing Shadowrun long enough for that level of improv.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <11-18-12/1844:57> »
Honestly, you can't get much better (in my opinion) than a Food Fight/On the Run combo.

Food Fight is part of the Shadowrun Quick-Start Rules and every group I've ever run, new players or old hands, always enjoy it. It gives a solid reason for party formation, allows new players to learn the basics and have fun doing it. On the Run, in my mind is an excellent follow-up when used together. It has the feel of a legitimate mission without (most of) the lethality. That said, the book is laid out terribly so definitely familiarize yourself with the entire book ahead of time. And be wary of the (for you) 22 person fight at the end.

I personally haven't run the Seattle missions against my group yet (starting this week actually), but from what I've read of them, they're great modules but if you're starting with a group that's 1/3 newbies, it might be a bit much if they feel out of their depth. Missions are not kind to the uninitiated.

In any case, check them out and see if you think they're appropriate for your group.

Food Fight is a good one, and it's a classic, but On the Run seems a bit off to me. If the characters are true professionals and don't ask questions as to the 'why' then there's a lot of it that won't ever see daylight.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Twitchy D

• Omae
  • Paranoia is a survival trait.
« Reply #8 on: <11-18-12/1916:05> »
Food Fight is a good one, and it's a classic, but On the Run seems a bit off to me. If the characters are true professionals and don't ask questions as to the 'why' then there's a lot of it that won't ever see daylight.
There's also a starting mission called "A Night on the Town" that might be a good fit for you. I think it's in the Free RPG Day 2012 PDF of Shadowrun.
« Last Edit: <11-18-12/1917:43> by Twitchy D »

Wolfboy

• Omae
  • life sucks, deal with it
« Reply #9 on: <11-18-12/1923:39> »
personally i'm working up a run that shourd be a quick one shot, but then again it kinda depends on how the players go at it

beta beta whose got the beta
May god grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, to change the things I can, and the firepower to make the difference.

Suicide is never the answer, now homicide on the other hand, that has posibilities.

7.62 Russian, when it absolutely has to be done under budget

Vale

• Newb
  • Living life one nuyen at a time.
« Reply #10 on: <11-18-12/1954:46> »
personally i'm working up a run that shourd be a quick one shot, but then again it kinda depends on how the players go at it

I'd be happy to test it out with my group if you'd like.

Sometimes runners don't care about the how or why of a mission, only that it goes smoothly and they get paid. Not saying its the right attitude, but some people like to play it that way.

Kat9

« Reply #11 on: <11-18-12/2005:22> »

Echo that, I'd run a one shot to test it out for you.

TheHug

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: <11-20-12/0826:55> »
Thanks for the input, guys.

Only one of my players ended up being able to show anyway, so we had a beer and TV adventure.

I guess the challenges of getting 6 dudes with busy lives together with any regularity is a topic for a different thread.

Wolfboy

• Omae
  • life sucks, deal with it
« Reply #13 on: <11-20-12/1740:38> »
any one who wants them, PM me your email and i'll send you what ever notes i work up
May god grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, to change the things I can, and the firepower to make the difference.

Suicide is never the answer, now homicide on the other hand, that has posibilities.

7.62 Russian, when it absolutely has to be done under budget