NEWS

Dungeon Run [SR5]

• 3 Replies

Bushw4cker

• Omae
« on: <02-04-16/1742:51> »
Starting campaign with all new Players soon. Thanks for everyone's suggestions on my previous post btw.

I'm also going to be starting new campaign with my regular group that I've GMed 5th Ed. with before. That campaign won't start for a few months. There are going to be some new players in that group as well.

One of the things I did in past when I introduced 4th Edition to new players, is that their Fixer sends them a pirated Matrix Game to try out. (Make sure the Simsense levels are lethal, so he can let his kids play it.)

What I did was I took a Dungeons and Dragons Adventure and made it Shadowrun. So I'm thinking about doing the same thing, but with 5th Edition. Like I did with 4th Edition,  I made a bunch of Pre-made characters for the players to select.

So I'm looking for some ideas. A few things I've been considering doing..

Including some Critters that I will probably never get to use in regular game of Shadowrun... Mutaqua, Dragon (For the last part, so I won't feel bad about killing whole group of new players..)

I was originally planning to use D&D, but I was thinking Earthdawn adventure would be even cooler.  Not as many adventures for ED though..

Street Samurai option for the whoever is the groups Decker. (Hack himself a better character.)

Any thoughts suggestions or comments are appreciated. Thanks )

Attached are a few of the pre-made characters.

"Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate." -Terry Pratchett

AwesomenessDog

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <02-04-16/2330:06> »
Gibbering mouther: basically a ball of mouths that could entrance the PCs into becoming docile and letting it attack them.
Doppleganger: a polymorphing humanoid that can take the shape of another PC
Any Undead: because duh, also could be falvored to match SR or DnDs version of the beasts
Succubus: grapples targets to paralysis, show the grapple rules some love
Tarrasque: the Macguffin enemy
Kobolds: if you have a dragon, you have to have these munchkinlings set up traps
The Spanish Inquisition
Knights: Knight Errant chivalry edition
Mimic chests: punish the lame noobs who dont test swing at every chest
Fey Creatures: who doesnt love pixie sticks
Elementals: murder elementals are my favorite kind
Trolls: because its not racist in DnD
Rakshasa: shapeshifting furry chaos monsters
Oozes: thats not water...
Innevitables: outerspace enforcers, KE on steroids
Golems: is that a pile of... corpses

Just to name a few, i dont know how you would want them statted but i advise going to http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/bestiary-hub/monsters-by-cr to see what you would want.

Bushw4cker

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <02-05-16/1653:48> »
Gibbering mouther: basically a ball of mouths that could entrance the PCs into becoming docile and letting it attack them.
Doppleganger: a polymorphing humanoid that can take the shape of another PC
Any Undead: because duh, also could be falvored to match SR or DnDs version of the beasts
Succubus: grapples targets to paralysis, show the grapple rules some love
Tarrasque: the Macguffin enemy
Kobolds: if you have a dragon, you have to have these munchkinlings set up traps
The Spanish Inquisition
Knights: Knight Errant chivalry edition
Mimic chests: punish the lame noobs who dont test swing at every chest
Fey Creatures: who doesnt love pixie sticks
Elementals: murder elementals are my favorite kind
Trolls: because its not racist in DnD
Rakshasa: shapeshifting furry chaos monsters
Oozes: thats not water...
Innevitables: outerspace enforcers, KE on steroids
Golems: is that a pile of... corpses

Just to name a few, i dont know how you would want them statted but i advise going to http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/bestiary-hub/monsters-by-cr to see what you would want.

Thanks for suggestions. I really like the Knight Errant Idea btw.

Oozes -  Sludge (Toxic Water Spirit), also Abomination (Toxic Beast Spirit) could be used in place of a lot of Monsters.

Golems, Elementals - Spirits again, would be good for these.

Succubus - They have Succubus Shadow Spirit in SR5

Mimic Chest - Possession Spirit, or Fey from Running Wild?.. 

I will definately be using some infected. I plan to use ALL shadowrun Critters for my game, and try not to take something unique only to D&D and try to convert it.

There is so much to work with, especially if you consider what you can do with Spirits, and how they can manifest. Gaurdian Spirit's can wield weapons, so If I wanted to have the Players Face a Giant with a Club, I could do that.

I really wanted to use some of the Shadowrun critters that most games are never going to see. Mutuqua, Harvester, Gorgon or Hydra (From 4th Ed. Running Wild.).

I also wanted to use Ghouls for a few reasons:

First, they are one of my favorite Critter NPCs to use.

Second, I wanted to familiarize my players with HMHVV infection, paticularly the Ghoul varient, and how it works with 5th Edition.

I did some playtesting with the PCs I made. With the Cure Disease spell, which Paladin, Cleric and Druid have. Most of the PCs could easily get +20 dice to roll for disease tests. They would need to get 6 successes each time for 10 tests against HMHVV III strain. That's also part of the reason I gave all the PCs a higher than normal Edge Stat, in case they have few bad rolls.

Third, I wanted to use Stealth with Ghouls (Who physically aren't as intimidating as other HMHVV), but can be deadly if they sneak up on you, and are dangerous in large numbers. 
« Last Edit: <02-05-16/2330:19> by Bushw4cker »
"Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate." -Terry Pratchett

AwesomenessDog

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <02-08-16/1722:48> »
Give ghouls nuerostun on their hands to mimic the paralysis. As well, ghouls are one of the few semi-sentient corporeal undead from most DnD lore which means they cant communicate (and likely wouldnt) but they are capable of planned attack and often times do hide very well in ambush or even act like regular undead, hiding in the hoard, and strike when they get close enough.

I wouldn't say there is anything unique to DnD as 99% of their monsters come from some lore, real life, culture, etc. with the exceptions being stuff modified from other games (like aboleths from CoC) so my advice is have at.

For critters that already exist, since i think you said you were doing this as a simsense video game, you might want to look at some of the lore behind things like Hydras from d20 systems (for example, there is a huge write up about hydras at the bottom of the page here: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/magical-beasts/hydra) which you can adapt to your own liking.

I would just build the mimics as a critter that takes damage by the item destruction rules.

Make sure you flavor the succubus so that if she grabs you, and you fail a composure test, you basically start spasming in an orgasm on the floor (as paralysis)

Let me know how this goes.