NEWS

Dealing with Heat and Having a Life: A GM System?

• 11 Replies

GloriousRuse

• Chummer
« on: <02-01-16/0144:34> »
Sometimes you need a functional way to handle heat that isn't plot intensive, doesn't handwave the issue, and doesn't result in players becoming detail obsessed to the point where it becomes one long game of "how technical can i get about forensics in every location I ever visit." Hence I decided to develop a system.

Heat/LE interest/whatever usually gets dealt with one of three ways.

1) It's a plot point. Which can be cool and the source of many a great session, but sometimes you want to be able to assume that our friendly skilled shadowrunner can do basic ass covering, especially when it's not terribly dramatic. 

2) It gets handwaved/ignored after a few dramatic scenes. Which keeps things moving, for sure, but sometimes it just kind of feels like you're escapades are in a vacuum of pick up runs.

3) The GM says "in MY campaign, evidence and rep matters", which either becomes "KE falls, everyone dies" or "Well Mr/Ms GM, MY character always painstakingly handlifts every finger print from every glass he touches, which aren't many, because his life between runs consists of sitting in a bolt hole while cleaning his gun/deck/drone/grimoir."

I was searching for a middle ground, preferably one that was somewhat fair to both players and GM. So this is what I came up with, a system to represent generic law (or other) interest and avoiding it. I call them Heat and Suppression.

First off, there are three components to Heat:

Who did I run against? 0-6 Dice. 0 being the mom and pop store next door, and 6 being a weapons research division at Ares. You may add more if its something truly absurd, but at that point it's probably a plot issue.

What did I do to them?
  0-6 Dice. 0 being they don't know it happened, or maybe I cursed out the security guards, 1 being something that looks like juvenile delinquency, and 6 being something that kicked them right in the profit makers. Things like shooting the president or commandeering Thor shots probably fall into "yeah, you should RP the consequences on this one."

How did I behave on the run?
-6 to + 6 Dice. Ranging from "I was an unseen Ninja in the system, even the security camera logs got masterfully re-edited" to " I blew off the front door, shot the stunned guards in the head, smashed the secretary's face off the wall until she gave me a password,  snatched the macguffin and exited in a chase scene"

You now have a pile of up to 18 dice. Before you get to rolling, reduce that pile for Suppression

Whats my basic professional level as a runner?
Subtract up to 6 dice. Presumably if you are playing a globe trotting team of runners who get called in for desert wars prototype theft, you can say "yeah, probably a six", whereas "Runner? they just gave this gun and told me I had to save my kids!" is probably a zero. Even a ganger knows somewhere to cool off in the barrens. [/b]

Who do I know who will help this? Subtract up to 3 dice. You'll want to RP calling in the big favors, but it's safe to assume that if the runner has the right contacts, heads ups happen, reports get filed a little late, there's some ambiguity in orders, or maybe some other perp is really who you want to be chasing today. The little favors bit by bit that the right contacts just kind of do.

Suppression payments You may pay for up to 3 dice. The idea being that living in super secret bunkers and getting secret soy pizza delivery costs money and time. So does the raw opportunity cost of erasing your gride guide records every time you drive, never taking a drink you don't wipe the rim for, etc.  Or if your players have some ridiculous argument as to why it doesn't, maintaining all those pretty contacts at loyalty 4 does, especially if you can't show your face right now. These payments represent the cost of  doing business while operating under that that paranoia. For the cost of 1 Karma AND a nuyen fee TBD by the GM, an extra die can be taken away from the  heat rating.

It's not meant to replace big things like getting a new ID, or a new face, hiding out in a bolthole for a month, or so forth, but it allows you to let player's be as much of a no-life paranoid jackass as they want without having to listen to fifteen minutes of absurdity of forensics every time they buy a beef jerky. In the absence of these payments, it assumed that the shadowrunner is exercising due diligence for their relative skill level.

Great, now take way the suppression score from the heat pool and roll the dice. Using the standard SR success definitions, the number of hits shows how much the powers that be found out about the runners. Maybe they pressed the right guy in the right bar, maybe Willem Dafoe did the boondock saints inspired detective thing, maybe just the raw processing power of a big corp and a lot of cameras came up roses this time. That's GM stuff.

At the GM's discretion, this system can be completely or partially transparent, or completely under the hood with just a vague mention that living unlivably paranoid lifestyles can be done, just at a cost.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <02-01-16/1845:09> »
I like it. I've had the players who want to RP 15 minutes of legwork for every single contact they meet with. It's a game and different people find different things fun, but at a certain point all progress grinds to a halt. Abstracting part of it with a mechanic like this is reasonable.

There are some parallels here with Street Cred and Notoriety, but I'd be fine with adding a Heat factor for an ongoing campaign.

Overgeneralizing a bit, it seems like a normal run might generate 1-3 Heat. That seems like a reasonable unit of measurement for most illegal runs.

The next question is, "What does 3 Heat mean? What does 6 mean?" You could say "GM's call" but then we're back to Option #2 way back at the beginning.

I wouldn't mind seeing a table suggesting at what point the runners need to start switching up their daily routines and at what point they need to start taking their AK-97s into the shower with them.

Oh, and welcome back, Glorious.

El Diablo

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <02-01-16/1927:04> »
Interesting idea. Much better than "Yeah, you're burned. Bye bye". This one gives a chance and it's a new plot if needed.

I would recommend adding some mundane options like "Runner dyed his/her hair" and "Runner bought a wole new wardrobe". Doing that sort of changes should remove dices 'cause they don't look the same, they changed appearances.
Booyah!

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <02-01-16/1934:02> »
Also keep in mind through adept powers and some augmentations, face, hair, skin tone, etc. can be fairly easily changed.
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #4 on: <02-01-16/2258:41> »
Qualities such as Blandness and Distinctive Style also influence the heat as they might be easier or harder to find
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

GloriousRuse

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <02-02-16/1654:49> »
I'm not entirely back as it were Tec, but thanks anyhow. Also, the joy of HEAT is that it is really a dice pool. Successes represent information found about the PCs. The DP represents the general effort being invested by LE or other parties. A 0 or negative DP means no one is looking, or would even really know where to look. 18 dice represents a fairly major player thinking the PCs are worth fairly major assets. It doesn't mean that the PCs are the new UBL, destined to live in failed states until eventually being shot by commandos. That is outside the range of this system. It does mean that some really serious folks are really interested in the PCs, and probably have some pretty good leads to start working with.

Think of it as a legwork test for the investigators, with each roll giving up more or less information.

Faust

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <02-02-16/1726:24> »
I like it. Something you may to add is Scrubbed astral sig?, any blood left at the scene? Security footage?. I usually don't worry about prints unless they have a real SIN. Also street cred is good way to measure profession level, then you can take notoriety and Public awareness off of that.
« Last Edit: <02-02-16/1728:51> by Faust »

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <02-03-16/0425:14> »
Interesting idea. Much better than "Yeah, you're burned. Bye bye". This one gives a chance and it's a new plot if needed.

I would recommend adding some mundane options like "Runner dyed his/her hair" and "Runner bought a wole new wardrobe". Doing that sort of changes should remove dices 'cause they don't look the same, they changed appearances.

I assume that most of these things fall under 'Whats my basic professional level as a runner?'.  Professional people know they have to do these things (or even do them before they go on a run).
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

Bigger Gun

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <02-03-16/0938:06> »
I would first like to say that very nice system to simplify things.

That being said I would personally add couple of things.

Time: How much the dicepool drops per X time. Or alternatively, X dicepool gets X rolls. Naturally there should be a threshold of successes that results in confrontation. If it is intended to be just one roll, then how long the investigation took is relevant, people might be hospitilized for example.
Example #1: Starting dicepool of 8, 1 week intervals, after the first week it drops by 2 for each one. So 2nd DP6, 3rd DP4, 4th DP2, so in 5 weeks the heat is completely died out if they havent managed to find the character.
Example #2: Dicepools 1-6 get 1 roll, 7-12 get 2, 13-18 get 3.

Misc: +/- to the dicepool for "unique" things, unique in this case meaning things that everyone does not have. Adept powers, Spells, augmentation that is relevant, negative/positive qualities.

El Diablo

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <02-03-16/1133:41> »

I assume that most of these things fall under 'Whats my basic professional level as a runner?'.  Professional people know they have to do these things (or even do them before they go on a run).

But you know, you will always see a chummer who's not very bright and will use it at the last moment. Also, emergencies WILL happen and you don't have the time to look pretty.
Booyah!

AwesomenessDog

• Chummer
« Reply #10 on: <02-03-16/1934:33> »
If the DP becomes negative, should the investigating party be thrown on the wrong track? It's not likely to happen often, especially if this is all done under the table, but if someone goes more quiet than when they just finished the run, the DP could easily drop to 0 or negative which means dead end or something from there was a false lead.

It's also likely that LE will keep tabs and try to connect several runs where they happen to be looking for the same guy. What do you think about a second "Public aware" score that stacks on top of normal public aware with any investigation successes given to or gotten by LE. This would also allow negative pools to be useful to remove these extra Awareness points and can get clever runners to stage false leads.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #11 on: <02-04-16/0050:45> »
This is really going to depend on your game style and table. Are Pink Mowhawk? Black trench coat? Pink Trench coat?

Also, as others have mentioned,  Character traits will have an influence as well.

On a general whole, the more "serious" the game, the more heat for "bad" actions.

In some games, killing a single guard is enough for the employer to spend serious money looking for the offending party. In other games, many players equate "heat" to more notches on the assault rifle! The key is finding the right balance for your table, and the game you are trying to run.

As for character personal time, some games have this in detail, others deal with weeks worth of time in as few words as possible..... So again, it will depend on your table.

At our table, I include a large amount of down time for roleplaying out "the daily life and grind". This is where characters can and do look after their characters needs, both meta-game and in game.... Gaining contacts isn't as simple as saying "I get Joe the dockworker for a contact" (they would state that they are going to start hanging around areas where dock workers go, in the hopes of gaining a contact). From there, I randomly pick a character and follow through on his actions, with role play for a few minutes, then switch to the next player, until all have had a turn.

And to be honest, I use these interactions to mine for hooks and plots for future runs... (For Example, the character that wanted Joe the dock worker for a contact, might hear that Joe has a problem that  the character can help with.... Help Joe out and treat him right, not only do you get a contact, but you might get paid as well! <all sorts of shit just "falls off" ships you know...>, which could lead to interactions with the Vory or the Mob.... (leading to possibilities of other contacts, runs, or enemies!) The idea is to give it a fluid, organic feeling.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.