NEWS

Magic Run Ideas

• 12 Replies

pariah3j

• Newb
« on: <03-21-15/1840:36> »
I'm starting a new campaign here in the next week or so. I usually run a magic light campaign- my palyers in the past have mostly played meat/mundane characters so it worked well. I tend to play up the tech side of things. But this time around I have a full blow mage and a PhyEd/Gunslinger that asterally perceives and is an astral beacon. The full blow mage is an Occult Investigator of sorts. So I would love some magic story arc ideas from some more magically minded GMs.

I have a B&E/Theft run planned  that has some magical mcguffins that could be a potential hook. I was thinking of a mask with an evil/shadow spirit bound to it. Thoughts on how that could be used ? (Not married to the mask/spirit idea just a thought) What are some other run ideas ? Are there any good 4th ed books with various runs/hooks ?

edit: re-read that and I thought it might sound like I have 3 magic players where is I only have 2.(so far)
« Last Edit: <03-21-15/2218:50> by pariah3j »

Raven2049

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • CDT "Special" Agent
« Reply #1 on: <03-21-15/2102:40> »
sprawl wilds is a great missions legal magic set of missions for you,

also all of seasons 5/6 of missions is all based in Chicago and that is inherently magic because of the background count and the bugs.

ive actually been writing a mission that involves a mage who was astrally projecting and his body was moved and he only has a certain amount of hours remaining for the runner team to locate his body. theres more to the mission but as one of my runners reads these forums i wont go into details ;)

pariah3j

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <03-21-15/2217:28> »
ive actually been writing a mission that involves a mage who was astrally projecting and his body was moved and he only has a certain amount of hours remaining for the runner team to locate his body. theres more to the mission but as one of my runners reads these forums i wont go into details ;)

That's an interesting idea. Its more along my lines - never have done well with the pre-written missions, I usually borrow and steal ideas from them then just run them straight - I tend to be able to remember them and have a better feel for them that way.

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <03-21-15/2316:24> »
I'm usually magic heavy in my games. SCPs can provide some great inspirations, as can the holders series. I've also been thinking about a run based on the opening of FF III / VI.

Mr. Black

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <03-21-15/2328:01> »
A few ideas:
·   The mage’s Talismonger is having trouble getting supplies. He asks the mage if he and his “friends” would mind riding shotgun on a smuggling transfer of much-needed reagents, telesma and such over on the Seattle-Salish border. Magical eco-terrorists decide to stop the transfer, and shenanigans ensue.
·   A scholarly mage desires to recover reagents for study from a location full of magical badness such as a mass murder site or some other nasty event leaving an astral scar. He wants the Crew to protect him while doing this. He is a scholar, not a fighter, and somewhat absent minded (or is he?!?). Spirits show up and shenanigans ensue.
·   Lou (or Selena) of Lou’s Tattoos in Downtown needs a certain telesma for his magical tattoo ink. He contacts the Crew to get him some. It involves gathering a particular type of kelp out in Puget Sound. The area, close to NAN lands, is home to water spirits, selkies and other magical water creatures, not to mention other kelp gatherers and corporate goons looking for the same/hunting the gatherers, and ever-present danger of Salish Coast Patrol boats.
·   Someone or something is haunting/disrupting the 5th Avenue Theatre’s production of “Waiting for Jet Black”, and it is definitely magical in nature. The Crew is hired to find out what is going on and end it. Tracking magical auras and astral signatures of spell aftermaths will stretch the Crew's skills. Is it (once again) spirits? Is it a disgruntled mage? Is it an insurance scam? A magical gang looking for shakedown money? A producer looking for free publicity? The Crew will have to work quickly to find out, as the curtain goes up in just four days, and famous actor Bywythe Merriweather is making his Seattle premier…

Raven2049

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • CDT "Special" Agent
« Reply #5 on: <03-22-15/0814:40> »
A few ideas:
·   The mage’s Talismonger is having trouble getting supplies. He asks the mage if he and his “friends” would mind riding shotgun on a smuggling transfer of much-needed reagents, telesma and such over on the Seattle-Salish border. Magical eco-terrorists decide to stop the transfer, and shenanigans ensue.
·   A scholarly mage desires to recover reagents for study from a location full of magical badness such as a mass murder site or some other nasty event leaving an astral scar. He wants the Crew to protect him while doing this. He is a scholar, not a fighter, and somewhat absent minded (or is he?!?). Spirits show up and shenanigans ensue.
·   Lou (or Selena) of Lou’s Tattoos in Downtown needs a certain telesma for his magical tattoo ink. He contacts the Crew to get him some. It involves gathering a particular type of kelp out in Puget Sound. The area, close to NAN lands, is home to water spirits, selkies and other magical water creatures, not to mention other kelp gatherers and corporate goons looking for the same/hunting the gatherers, and ever-present danger of Salish Coast Patrol boats.
·   Someone or something is haunting/disrupting the 5th Avenue Theatre’s production of “Waiting for Jet Black”, and it is definitely magical in nature. The Crew is hired to find out what is going on and end it. Tracking magical auras and astral signatures of spell aftermaths will stretch the Crew's skills. Is it (once again) spirits? Is it a disgruntled mage? Is it an insurance scam? A magical gang looking for shakedown money? A producer looking for free publicity? The Crew will have to work quickly to find out, as the curtain goes up in just four days, and famous actor Bywythe Merriweather is making his Seattle premier…

yoinking some of those ideas for quick missions ^_^ with your permission that is

Spooky

• Omae
  • If you run, you'll only die tired.
« Reply #6 on: <03-22-15/1430:15> »
To play up magic, use a basic data snatch or investigation of something, and just make the item magic. then have magic opposition show up during the course of the run.
« Last Edit: <03-22-15/1855:58> by Spooky »
Spooky, what do you do this pass? Shoot him with my thunderstruck gauss rifle. (Rolls)  8 hits. Does that blow his head off?

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #7 on: <03-23-15/0442:18> »
There's always the Bug Spirit angle. People are disappearing in an area and people fear it could be ghouls, vampires or even bugs or worse (all these count as awakened threats).

Combine Eco-terrorists with toxic shamans for lots of fun.

Run against Aztechnology since they have the most magical security system and added "bonus" chance of blood magic.

A spirit that claims to be a ghost of a deceased victim of a bizarre ritual seeks retribution. It'll contact the mage and hire the crew for a hidden stash or simply a extra karma.

The crew must protect a client from Demons (see Aetherology).

Send them to the metaplanes such as Lovecraft's Realm.

Etc etc
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

pariah3j

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <03-23-15/0816:56> »
Loving the ideas. Keep them coming  :D

cantrip

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <03-23-15/1536:03> »
If you and your players are new to magic, I'd suggest starting out simple. The big story arcs are great, but sometimes they can take over the whole game - which isn't always as fun for the non-magical players of the group.

A few starter ideas:

* Wizkid gang --- either your hired to deal with them, or you run into one during a run
* Reagents have been mentioned already - but just gathering some for a local talismonger from even the the Barrens can be an opportunity to run across para-critters or deal with blighted areas
* free or wild spirits on the loose -- random encounter or hired to deal with
* Just adding magic opposition in your standard runs - an embedded combat mage, wards, a spirit or two, watchers etc.
* Since you have an investigator type, they could be hired to survey a scene by one of their contacts - I always like the 'magic hardboiled detective/gumshoe' concept
* Tracing an astral signature (similar to the suggested track a meat body suggestion by Raven2049 -- good suggestion!  8)) or erasing your signature (or failing to do so successfully!)

This will let you see what works and what doesn't without having a TPK. Magic can be suddenly brutal with a few bad rolls - it's easy to over power it, as soon as your characters start taking drain, they get to the point where - "hey a gun is not such a bad idea!" ;) Starting small let's you get all the bugs worked out -- speaking of which, you can then step up to more advanced magic plots:

* Insect spirits are still around, just a little more subtle - I always find it interesting to have one insect faction hire runners to go after another faction
* Free spirit that is a fixer/Johnson - motivations can run the gamut
* Toxic mage/shaman or Blood mage - bounties - just keep in mind that they can be incredibly tough!
* Portals and astral rifts ---- they are great! The results are completely up to you - very open ended - though can get cheesy if you aren't careful.
* Magical groups - check out the different resources out there, Street Grimoire, Threats, Threats 2, Magical Societies etc.
* Shedim - less common to some degree, but could still be a good story arc
* Shadow spirits have been mentioned - but also a longer arc potentially
* Geomancy - helping to re-align ley lines, definitely can have unintended affects
* Dragon driven plot - long, convoluted, and often fatal!

There are also tons of runs out there if you want to sift through -

I always have liked Bottled Demon - it would need to be updated for 5th edition.
The first run in Firing Line has a cool run that has a magical spin. Could easily have a spinoff later.
If you want to amp up the creepy factor, read through Universal Brotherhood --- probably not one you want to do since it is based in 2050s, but great for getting ideas and seeing how things came to be.
Ghost Cartel and the Artifact series of runs would also have heavy magical related runs -- but are both pre 5th, so depends if you want to work with current story arcs.

I'll stop now.  ;)

pariah3j

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <03-23-15/1634:52> »
Cantrip - thanks a bunch dude ! That gives me a fair amount of ideas on top of whats already been posted.

Question - what are some possibilities as far as an astral beacon goes ? My PhysEd has a magic of 7 and took the positive quality for beacon. So in my mind that means her astral signature is kinda brighter/more noticeable and probably would attract various spirits and such - but what are some possible magic creatures/spirits that might be drawn to something like that ?

Has anyone's players taken this before and what sort of hooks, things did you do with it ?

Mr. Black

• Chummer
« Reply #11 on: <03-25-15/0336:29> »
Okay, after thinking about this I decided to add a recurring feature to my blog called "10 in 10" with 10 quick run ideas. I added 6 more and did a post. You can find it here:

10-in10 Magical Edition

Lighthouse

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <05-10-15/0117:49> »
I gave my PC's a milk run. They just had to do an extraction of a local singer from a nightclub. Except the club was a front for the mob and the manager was a blood mystic adept vampire who was in love with extraction target  ;D
"Fish gotta swim You know what I'm sayin." Omar