NEWS

Resonance Riding Echo for TM... Call/Dismiss Sprites only?

• 22 Replies

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #15 on: <06-04-18/1919:11> »
Simply command sprite to follow orders of cyberdeck persona.
You can't have two persona at the same time (I don't really see how you can command the sprite to follow orders of a persona that doesn't exist within the matrix).

In order to form your cyberdeck persona you first have to reboot both your living persona and the cyberdeck (I don't really see how the Machine Sprite can keep up with Diagnostics on a device that doesn't exist within the matrix).

SR5 p. 235 Persona
You can only run one persona at a time; switching requires you to reboot both the device you’re currently on and the device to which you want to shift your persona.

SR5 p. 251 Using mundane electronics
You can use a commlink or cyberdeck if you like. A lot of technomancers do in order to hide their abilities. If you use a persona on a commlink or deck, you can’t use your Resonance abilities. That only works when you’re using your living persona, and since you can only use one persona at a time—well, you get the idea.

kainite311

• Chummer
  • PC's are just murder hobo's...
« Reply #16 on: <06-04-18/1953:44> »
So diagnostics stop working on a gun if wireless is turned off? or smartlink? I kind of assumed resonance channels were separate from the actual matrix and that was what sprites used. Or is that fluff? Or barring that that they temporally inhabit the machine they are using the power on? What about a on a medkit that gets brought into a faraday cage?

Sprites have some intelligence right? Command to "follow the orders of the next persona that forms on this device". It does not seem to be a complicated command, sprites that are tasked with an order don't disappear per p.256 Sprite-Technomancer Link section.

SR5 p. 251 Using mundane electronics
You can use a commlink or cyberdeck if you like. A lot of technomancers do in order to hide their abilities. If you use a persona on a commlink or deck, you can’t use your Resonance abilities. That only works when you’re using your living persona, and since you can only use one persona at a time—well, you get the idea.

Where am I using resonance abilities in the suggestions as work arounds in previous posts? All of them are pre-set before dropping living persona, a deck can be connected to the matrix without a persona (like a commlink) and the diagnostic power running if you like, I refined the sprite command above to s simple follow the next thing that uses this device type command.

For the record I am not trying to cheese the system. Merely trying to see the relevance of a 14+ karma echo. So far it seems to be convenience... and the ability to call a sprite (but not compile). Seems rather lopsided karma cost. Mostly trying to see if there is an out of the box idea that it might be used for, like a drone, i dunno..
« Last Edit: <06-04-18/2001:17> by kainite311 »
Kainite
Actually, in most Shadowrun games, they typically have a Lifestyle so they're either Murder Hobos (Street/Squatter Level) or Murder Renters (Low+ level)

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #17 on: <06-05-18/0029:31> »
Oh God the amount of debate done on Noise and the amount (4 in my case) of houserules designed... And Aaron's errata, which resulted in 'Jammers cannot actually do what they're said to be built for'...
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

FST_Gemstar

• Omae
« Reply #18 on: <06-05-18/0105:11> »
While I would prefer if Sprites and their powers weren't necessarily affected by Noise, I do play that Diagnostics only works on things that are connected to the matrix. I think it is a good compromise against the folks who think Diagnostics is the worst cheese EVER (while fully exploiting all of the broken and overpowered magical mechanics). 

Because it can only work with devices connected to the matrix, it may mean: 

Devices have to remain wireless on. If you turn off wireless, Machine sprites "drop" the item and stops running diagnostics. Sprites have to re-roll diagnostics after devices turn back on. 
Similarly, if ambient noise shuts off wireless, Machine sprites stop running their diagnostics. Implanted Noise penalty reduces can help wit this (datajacks/antennae). 
If devices run silent, Diagnostics bonuses drop -2 down to 0 die bonus when using that device (limit bonuses remain). 
If sprites aren't running silent (before rolling diagnostics, basically taking a -2 to their Diagnostics roll), their icons are perceivable with Matrix perception. Though their appearance is described as static garble that are not obviously sprites, someone trained in technomancer/matrix threats may be able to recognize the sprites as such (outing a technomancer or at least technomancer assistance). At the very least, someone checking might be curious about why there are extra icons hovering about your gear.   

Diagnostics turns technomancers into adepts that can change-up their improved ability/improved potential powers, drawing on Resonance power instead of Magic, and affected by Noise instead of Background Count.

Redwulfe

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #19 on: <06-05-18/0153:45> »
Oh God the amount of debate done on Noise and the amount (4 in my case) of houserules designed... And Aaron's errata, which resulted in 'Jammers cannot actually do what they're said to be built for'...

Aaron's errata? I am coming back to SR from a long break and am not familiar with this one. Do you have a link by chance?
There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't

Red

*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #20 on: <06-05-18/0727:43> »
No. Ignore everything Aaron said. =P

In all seriousness, Aaron ran a FAQ thread and after a while went missing. Some of the answers he gave were rather disagreed with by some (like me). In this case, it was 'only wireless BONUSES crap out, functionality still is there, even if the rules explicitly state functionality goes away'. Which resulted in that Jammers cannot actually block you.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Redwulfe

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #21 on: <06-05-18/1052:06> »
Oh yes I remember that thread they stickied it. I remember asking a few questions their early in, it was confussing times back then with the new system. He was the freelancer that was answering questions I think. Seemed like a nice guy but no matter how many times he said he was not an official answer it seemed people would take his answers as gospel. I hope he is doing well, since he disappeared. Sometimes life creeps in. I know I have been guilty of it on several occasions.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't

Red

*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #22 on: <06-05-18/1140:56> »
The argument given was that “Wireless Bonuses” on p. 421 is talking about “wireless bonuses” (and nothing else). When the item have additional “wireless functionality” it is listed under the “Wireless” entry in the items description and that this [additional] wireless functionality is temporarily lost if there is a Noise Rating from a situation that is greater than the item’s Device Rating (not including distance).

This reading cause Jammers to block [additional] wireless functionality as well as inflicting a negative dice pool modifier to matrix related actions such as hacking and remote control and that you need a Faraday cage to prevent "matrix access" (No signal, access blocked).

The opposing argument given was that "Wireless Bonuses" on p. 421 is not just talking about "wireless bonuses", but that it also include rules how to handle [all] "wireless functionality" (as in "matrix access"). That [all] wireless functionality is temporarily lost if there is a Noise Rating from a situation that is greater than the item's Device Rating (not including distance).

This reading cause Jammers to block [all] wireless functionality and fully prevent communication as well as matrix related actions such as hacking and remote control.
« Last Edit: <06-06-18/0012:32> by Xenon »