NEWS

Recoil compensation question

• 9 Replies

street.mage

• Newb
« on: <09-19-10/1849:26> »
Ok, I get recoil, but what is the difference between the two entries of (1) and 1?  Then there's an entry of 2 (3).  What is that?

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #1 on: <09-19-10/1950:20> »
Isn't it the difference between burst fire and full-auto? Where did you see it?

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #2 on: <09-19-10/2005:58> »
Often they'll include a parenthetical recoil compensation attribute for when optional or secondary measures of controlling recoil are used.  A gun with a built-in gas vent rating 2 and a retractable shoulder stock, for instance, might list 2 (3) (to show that it's got an integral recoil compensation of 2, but if you're using the stock, it increases to 3).

Ignore the specific numbers I used, by the way, I was just pulling them out of my rear to provide an example.  Retractable shoulder stocks might give more than that, or whatever -- I don't have a book handy, was just making numbers up for the explanation.

street.mage

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <09-19-10/2114:26> »
Where at?  SR4 Anniversary Edition P 317 and p 318 in the table descriptions.  It says a Fichetti Security 600 has RC of (1), same with a Yamaha Sakura Fabuki.  The Hammerli 620S has a RC of 1.  All are light pistols.  The 2(3) RC is listed under submachine guns on the next page; The Ingram Smartgun X and HK MP-5 TX.  The HK-227X, AK-97 Carbine, and Uzi IV all have (1) RC as well.

FYI, in our game we have just used a (1) and 1 are the same and a 2 (3) is a 2 since we are unsure of what it means.  For the life of me, I can't find the info. 

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #4 on: <09-19-10/2119:20> »
Where at?  SR4 Anniversary Edition P 317 and p 318 in the table descriptions.  It says a Fichetti Security 600 has RC of (1), same with a Yamaha Sakura Fabuki.
And in the text description, the Security 600 comes with a detachable folding stock, and the Sakura Fabuki also has a folding stock.  Since you may choose to have the stocks extended or not (to affect concealability, to choose to use the weapon one-handed without the stock, etc), the recoil compensation is in parenthesis.

The Hammerli 620S has a RC of 1.  All are light pistols.
And the Hammerli is described as having integral gas-vent systems.  Not optional, so no parenthesis.

The 2(3) RC is listed under submachine guns on the next page; The Ingram Smartgun X and HK MP-5 TX.  The HK-227X, AK-97 Carbine, and Uzi IV all have (1) RC as well.
All have folding or detachable stocks.  Again.

When recoil is provided by a shoulder stock, it'll be a parenthetical value.  When it's from integral, always-on, sources (built-in gas venting, or the special chamber design of an Ares Alpha, for instance), it's not.
« Last Edit: <09-19-10/2122:22> by Critias »

Frankie the Fomori

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <09-19-10/2143:16> »
street.mage:  Something that may help is the side bar on page 310. It handles most of the questions for the gear listing, like recoil on the weapons table, capacity on electronics and augmentations

Glyph

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <09-19-10/2305:14> »
Critias is correct.  The number in parentheses refers to things such as folding stocks.  For some concrete examples, in Arsenal, look at the versions of the Colt Cobra.  The first version, with integral gas-vent 2 and a folding stock, has RC of 2(3), while the others, which only have a folding stock, have RC of (1).  The Barrett Model 121 and the HK PSG Enforcer both have RC of (2), because both of them come with folding bipods.

street.mage

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <09-19-10/2311:09> »
Thanks much!  That clears up a lot!

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #8 on: <09-19-10/2359:19> »
Agreed, thanks! I haven't memorized the gun tables yet, so this helps me too.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <09-20-10/1005:07> »
I know most of them, but I still learn something new every day.

Not this, but I still pick up new and interesting bits.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."