NEWS

Beginner

• 6 Replies

irisheathen

• Omae
  • "There is enough time to sleep when you're dead."
« on: <11-23-12/1548:41> »
This is probably the wrong place for this but I'm new to the site and new to PBP. I've only played SR once before but really enjoyed it. I was wondering if anyone could help me learn the details of PBP.. I've got all the 4th ed. books and have plenty of face to face exp. with several other systems as well as some exp. being a GM.
Just don't wanna be a newb and I can't find any threads that point out what should or shouldn't be done and whats to be expected from a player in PBP.
Thanks in advance
-Sebastian
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
-H.L. Mencken (1880-1956)

Speech
Thoughts
Matrix Speech
Matrix <<Text>>

Kouryuu

• Prime Runner
  • The idea is to die young as late as possible -A.M.
« Reply #1 on: <11-23-12/1554:03> »
just find a game to sign up to prep a char and play - simple, but i know that the first game here may take some time as you will have to get used to the system so i witch you good luck

P.s. if you have some specific questions you are welcome to ask PM me with them :)
Prepare for the worst, hope for the best and expect nothing!
Matrix;speaking;thinking;ExternalSourcesLink
RainDragonBar

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
  • Ask me about NERPS! 30% Sales!
« Reply #2 on: <11-23-12/1605:38> »
"Learning" PbP is the easiest thing there is: everything everyone's done can be read! :p

A thread labeled IC means it's the In Character thread, where the actual game goes on.
There'll also be a thread with the same name but labeled OOC. That's the Out Of Character thread and is where questions about rules, background info or general "table chatter" that doesn't belong on the IC happens.

So, just pick a game and read the IC thread to see how it's being played.
If you want the "behind the screens" look, just open the OOC thread in another tab/window and look at that too. Make sure to check the date on which things were posted, past 20 of the IC thread might align with page 41-43 on the OOC thread (or the other way around) because activity on both sides of the game isn't always the same.

irisheathen

• Omae
  • "There is enough time to sleep when you're dead."
« Reply #3 on: <11-23-12/1614:24> »
Thanks!
I'll take all advice.
Open question: Is it better to come up with a character and then find a game or vise versa? Also do GM's look through the big black book and hand pick characters is it just for show?
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
-H.L. Mencken (1880-1956)

Speech
Thoughts
Matrix Speech
Matrix <<Text>>

Kouryuu

• Prime Runner
  • The idea is to die young as late as possible -A.M.
« Reply #4 on: <11-23-12/1616:28> »
Thanks!
I'll take all advice.
Open question: Is it better to come up with a character and then find a game or vise versa? Also do GM's look through the big black book and hand pick characters is it just for show?
Mostly players make Characters for games, but it is easier if the GM can see what you can do and you have a char ready to jump in a game, it also will help you train, as making a good character needs some practice :)
Prepare for the worst, hope for the best and expect nothing!
Matrix;speaking;thinking;ExternalSourcesLink
RainDragonBar

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <11-23-12/1619:13> »

1. Both. Having one ready means you can apply immediately, recruitment is usually over very fast, with many more players than open PC slots. But if you're a fast charbuilder, usually posting a concept is good and you have a couple of days to get your char ready.

2. No. Most GM's seem to have a "If they can't bring up the effort to look for a game, how could they be relied on to bring up the effort of posting on a regular basis?" idea. GM'ing already takes a lot of work, make their jobs easier and get on their good sides by being pro-active!

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <11-23-12/1621:13> »
By the way, you're in luck, there's a game starting with slots still open.
Why not post there and ask the GM if he doesn't mind a complete n00b* joining the game?

* :p