NEWS

GM Rules

• 10 Replies

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« on: <11-19-10/1020:09> »
Heh... Post one of my rules in another thread and thought I'd start this to see if there are any rules out there that y'all like to add. Remember though, the only rule that supersedes any other rule is the first one.

• The player's fun is more important than your story.
  • Don't be afraid to fudge.
  • If you build it, the players will break it.
  • Be sure to give every player time in the spotlight.
  • A problem player can wreck a game. And sometimes the only solution is to remove them from it.
  • Always carry extra pencils, paper and dice (ones you don't mind others touching)
  • If a player disagrees with a rules judgment, be fair and try compromising as much as you're able. If you can't, invite them to discuss it after the session. If they won't wait, call for a bathroom break and talk with them quickly about it. If you still have problems, see Rule #5.
  • Not all players get along. And not all characters get along either. If there's tension, talk about it outside of the game, but do not get directly involved in personal matters.
  • Never go anywhere without a knife. (Gibb's Rule #9 as well)
  • No matter how tempting the double-chocolate peanut butter brownies are, do NOT be swayed to rule in the baker's favor.

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #1 on: <11-19-10/1131:32> »
1. The rules exist to support the game, the story, and the fun. They are there to be followed, bent, broken, or ignored, as necessary while providing a framework for resolving action.
1.a. House rules are better than bad rules.
2. Have the living room clean and ready before the players arrive.
3. Be prepared. For what, I have no idea, but be prepared.

Not going to number them, but from your list (with modifications, as necessary):
  • The player's fun is more important than your story.
  • Don't be afraid to fudge. Only applicable to support the story / fun, otherwise, play fair.
  • If you build it, the players will break it.
  • Be sure to give every player time in the spotlight.
  • A problem player can wreck a game. And sometimes the only solution is to remove them from it.
  • Always carry extra pencils, paper and dice (ones you don't mind others touching)
  • If a player disagrees with a rules judgment, be fair and try compromising as much as you're able. If you can't, invite them to discuss it after the session. If they won't wait, politely say sorry and keep the game moving.call for a bathroom break and talk with them quickly about it. If you still have problems, see Rule #5. Discussing the rules before making a decision is fine, once the GM has made a decision, discussion time is over, we're here to play.
  • Not all players get along. And not all characters get along either. If there's tension, talk about it outside of the game, but do not get directly involved in personal matters.
  • Never go anywhere without a knife. (Gibb's Rule #9 as well)
  • No matter how tempting the double-chocolate peanut butter brownies are, do NOT be swayed to rule in the baker's favor.The baker is also the wife, and usually has the knife. . .

I don't really think I have any more personal "GMing Style" rules/guidelines I follow. . .
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <11-19-10/1745:55> »
Remember, if you do use house rules, let your players know beforehand.  Discuss how it changes things, and what it's meant to do or undo.

Letting them know in the middle of a game, when they want to do something that violates it, is very bad form.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Chaemera

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <11-19-10/1817:18> »
Gun Nut, agree whole-heartedly, my house rules are posted on our gaming wiki before the game even starts. Any time we have an issue where I think a house rule would be a good idea, I discuss it with everyone in advance, find a solution we all agree to (or stick to the RAW if we can't find a good solution for most parties) and then it gets posted, as well.

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #4 on: <11-19-10/1855:47> »
We usually agree on some houserules, and they get posted on our campaign forum. That's really really usefull.
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

Nomad Zophiel

• Omae
  • Zophiel by name. Nomad by profession.
« Reply #5 on: <11-19-10/1900:18> »
  • If you build it, the players will break steal it.

Also stated as "never give an NPC something you don't want the PC's to take from them".

Wayfinder

• Newb
  • fraggin fragged frag
« Reply #6 on: <11-19-10/1902:38> »
I completely disagree with the last rule. Everyone knows there is absolutely nothing wrong with showing appreciation for the GM's hard work with baked goods, candy, or any other delicious treat. If the judgements on that particular evening seem to favor the actions of said baker it is solely by chance. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Chaemera

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <11-19-10/1907:29> »
I completely disagree with the last rule. Everyone knows there is absolutely nothing wrong with showing appreciation for the GM's hard work with baked goods, candy, or any other delicious treat. If the judgements on that particular evening seem to favor the actions of said baker it is solely by chance. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Moreover, she has the knife. . .

Nomad Zophiel

• Omae
  • Zophiel by name. Nomad by profession.
« Reply #8 on: <11-19-10/1909:27> »

Never give an NPC something you don't want in the hands of a PC.

FoxBoy

• Chummer
    « Reply #9 on: <11-19-10/1915:39> »
      Never give an NPC something you don't want in the hands of a PC.
      And if somehow the players can't steal the macguffin from the NPC? They'll take the NPC too.

I learned that one the hard way.[/list]

FastJack

• Administrator
      • Prime Runner
      • Kids these days...
      « Reply #10 on: <11-19-10/2249:39> »
      Funny story that... On year in the early nineties, I was playing in a Battletech tourney at a local con. The game was being run by my friend and everyone was getting a mech assigned totally by random--from light to assault mechs. Right before the game, I ran to Mickey D's for lunch and the GM asked if he could have some fries and I said sure...

Everyone was ticked that I (randomly) got the Atlas.