NEWS

The Frame Job

• 23 Replies

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #15 on: <09-24-19/1753:56> »
Below it you can read "Est. 1989", making clear it's a year thing.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

The Tekwych

• Omae
« Reply #16 on: <09-24-19/2102:54> »

So again, I am left wondering what the big deal about a neon pink stylized 30 on a product is.

It’s just bad graphic design. Pink neon XXX is too ambiguous. It leaves the viewer with no clear interpretation of what the iconography is meant to represent and shows that someone with no training or even a basic understanding of graphic design is working on this product. It brings down everything else that has been done with the book, all the excellent artwork, the page layout, the font choices and degrades the IP

Just one more instance of the powers that be not taking any pride whatsoever in their product.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #17 on: <09-24-19/2117:26> »

So again, I am left wondering what the big deal about a neon pink stylized 30 on a product is.

It’s just bad graphic design. Pink neon XXX is too ambiguous. It leaves the viewer with no clear interpretation of what the iconography is meant to represent and shows that someone with no training or even a basic understanding of graphic design is working on this product. It brings down everything else that has been done with the book, all the excellent artwork, the page layout, the font choices and degrades the IP

Just one more instance of the powers that be not taking any pride whatsoever in their product.
Because we know they've always been very serious about the image of Shadowrun.

GuardDuty

• Newb
« Reply #18 on: <09-24-19/2155:05> »
Now that was a good response.  I'm laughing my butt off over here.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #19 on: <09-25-19/0035:55> »
Pink XXX with Est. 1989 underneath it is too ambiguous and a reason to attack the integrity of CGL??? Hell no the anniversary logo is awesome. I got two shirts with it.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

The Tekwych

• Omae
« Reply #20 on: <09-25-19/1120:59> »
FastJack, that image is very much Shadowrun. A perfect representation of substance and attitude. The 30th logo is just bad design ascetics, the BattleTech anniversary logo is just as bad. They both show a lack of thought and inability to focus on the details within the decision chain.

There is so much that is good within this IP, and this company, but that lack of attention to the details is hurting the line, the IP and the company in the long run.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #21 on: <09-25-19/1259:04> »
FastJack, that image is very much Shadowrun. A perfect representation of substance and attitude. The 30th logo is just bad design ascetics, the BattleTech anniversary logo is just as bad. They both show a lack of thought and inability to focus on the details within the decision chain.

There is so much that is good within this IP, and this company, but that lack of attention to the details is hurting the line, the IP and the company in the long run.
Thank you for expressing your opinion.

Noble Drake

• Omae
« Reply #22 on: <09-25-19/1840:15> »
It's not "bad design aesthetics" just because you don't personally like it.
It's not "bad graphic design" because that's an objective thing you are stating your subjective opinion as (see the difference between the phrases "I'm not a fan" and "it's trash" and the way people use them as synonymous despite those differences.)
And it's not "too ambiguous" by a long shot. I seriously doubt anyone won't either immediately understand the purpose of the XXX, or get the meaning via the provided context of "Est. 1989" and the product with the logo on it being released in 2019, as even the complaints against the usage of Roman numerals come from people that are aware that XXX is a number too.

GRUD

• Newb
  • This is MY text, and it's Personal!
« Reply #23 on: <12-07-19/0053:20> »
Did CGL have any copies of Shadowrun: The Complete Frame Job printed for Gen Con? 

I'm Primarily into BT these days, but I still enjoy the SR Fiction.  I got into SR when it was "New", though I don't have anyone to game with anymore, so I haven't gotten any game stuff since the 2nd Edition.  I bought a LOT of BT stuff at GC, and some SR novels, but I can't remember if I got this there or not.  I'm also in the process of moving, so I'm not 100% Certain where all my "GC Loot" is at the moment.   :-\

I saw something on FB earlier, about this being available on Amazon, but since I know they will sometimes print stuff for GC, I wasn't sure if that was the case for this book or not.  For all I know, the last part was recently written/published, so it might not have even been Complete to make it to GC.  Anyway, I'd rather know Before I possibly buy a 2nd copy.   ;D

On an Unrelated note, your "Verify the Letters" thing is a bit difficult for me to read.  I was able to get it correct, though I clicked the "Listen To" link to double-check.  I've got bad eyesight anyway, but your "Verification" thing is the worst I've had to deal with.  Sadly, I ALSO understand WHY you've got it.   :( 

Finally, Godzilla is also a large flying lizard that breathes fire. :P   ;D