NEWS

CGL Announces 2 New SR Games

• 18 Replies

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« on: <03-16-17/1059:30> »
Announced at GAMA the week, article form ICv2:

Catalyst Game Labs will release two Shadowrun games in 2017:  a card game and a long-awaited board game.  The card game, planned for Origins (June) release, is Shadowrun Zero Day.  It’s ..."a head-to-head matrix battle," Catalyst Publisher Loren Coleman told ICv2.  "It’s a very quick resource-management, attack-the-Megacorps game."  MSRP is $19.99.

Shadowrun: The Board Game is the result of a new design after an initial design was rejected, Coleman explained. “We now have the game I want,” he said.  The release, originally planned for 2014 (see "Catalyst"s Ambitious Plans for 'The Year of Shadowrun'"), is now slated for Gen Con.

Coleman described the play.  "You build a team, you level up your runners, you get them gear, you cyber them up, whatever it’s going to take," he said.  "You go on missions, you get money, so you can go on the mission to win the overall game."  MSRP is expected to be $50-$60.

Marzhin

• Omae
  • I must confess, I was born at a very early age.
« Reply #1 on: <03-16-17/1321:20> »
Interesting. So if I understand correctly, this is what should have been called Hostile Takeover, reworked with a new concept.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <03-16-17/1523:54> »
In fairness, I'm not sure. I always thought that Hostile Takeover was more focused on the Corps and the machinations whereas this appears to be more focused on a team/crew of runners. But, then, one never knows... ;)

The Tekwych

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <03-16-17/1705:57> »
This almost sounds like a merger of our two missing games, The team building, outfitting, and skirmish that would have been Sprawl Gangers with the board game play and mechanics of Hostile Takeover.

I was looking forward to the original concept of Hostile Takeover but I can get that, somewhat, in New Angelus by FFG.

I am in for both games but would still like to see the original concepts of Sprawl Gangers and Hostile Takeover make it to the table.Playing from the Corp side of things is sadly lacking and would be fun to explore as a board game.

Thanks for posting this AJ

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #4 on: <03-16-17/2154:34> »
Yeah, looks to be a completely different game.

Shame.  Hostile Takeover was pretty fun. :/

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <03-17-17/0851:18> »
@Bull - were you part of the play testing team for Hostile Takeover?

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #6 on: <03-17-17/1654:02> »
@Bull - were you part of the play testing team for Hostile Takeover?

Not really.  I got to playtest it a few times at cons though.

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <03-20-17/1115:30> »
Not really.  I got to playtest it a few times at cons though.

Ahhh...lucky you ;D

DarkSpade

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <07-14-17/1645:55> »
Come to think of it, Lords of Waterdeep would work incredibly well with a shadowrun reskin.  "Corps of Seattle" maybe?  With Catalyst already working with WotC, it's not an unrealistic idea.

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <07-15-17/0950:08> »
IIRC, there was develop on a corp-level boardgame a while back, set in Seattle. However, I don't think that anything ever came of it... :-\

wraith

• Chummer
  • just another ghost in the machine
« Reply #10 on: <08-09-17/0019:09> »
On that same note, what the drek ever happened to Sprawl Gangers?

It was set to fill the niche Necromunda left, and somehow managed to delay so badly Games Workshop got around to looking at reviving Necromunda with still no word on a release with the last updates two-three years ago.

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <08-09-17/1129:47> »
Haven't seen/heard anything on this in a long time. IIRC, the rules were done; the main issues was miniature design/production.

Thanos007

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Newb
« Reply #12 on: <08-13-17/0849:42> »

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #13 on: <08-13-17/1127:29> »
Not seen too much about either, tbh. I suspect that Sprawl Ops is a team-based board game while Prime Runners is a new edition of Crossfire (maybe incorporating some of the updates used in Dragon Fire).

odd

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <08-13-17/1845:42> »
Ugh, one expansion then a new edition?