NEWS

SRM FAQ 1.3 Discussion

• 93 Replies

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #75 on: <02-15-19/2328:16> »
...still, those all were insanely powerful characters compared to the teams my characters Leela and Milicent were on (Milicent was only a 115 Karma character at the time).

Yes, those particular PCs were overkill. Paletooth faired a greater challenge for us due to magic, but even that great western dragon basically got smoked without posing a threat (though it burnt edge to survive in our Mission, so didn't quite perish).

115 karma might be a little bit too low for that Mission, depending on the build. Even just playing the rest of the core season up to that point, without working for the people being considered, should have characters around 160 karma.

That said, it would honestly not be difficult to build a four man team at 100 karma each that can defeat that creature (without the extras present), with no magic in the party other than one Technomancer.

After years and years of playing the original Kyoto Kid character from 1e to 3e, she ended up with something like 380 Karma, and that was considered huge.

My only Shadowrun experience has been with Missions. I started playing at the end of 2014. We played weekly for years before moving to bi-weekly last year. So it took about 4 to 4 1/2 years to run my main through every legal Chicago Mission. Working for the people accounts for probably 1/3 to 1/4 of that karma total.
...yeah Milicent was a good build considering her TKE at the time as she had the right skills, as well as a bit of moxie, to come up with what was probably the most bizarre and ridiculous "pink mohawk" solution to the situation which surprisingly worked.  Desperation is sometimes the mother of invention as well.

As to my involvement in Missions I didn't start until late 2015.  Before 4e I played in and GM's a number of home brew campaigns, but hit a drought for a number of years here and as in serious need of a Shadowrun fix.
Forsaken daughter is watching you

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #76 on: <02-17-19/1253:54> »
New order of business:

Over in another thread it was recently said that Forbidden Arcana's statement that Mystic Adepts may not use Enchanting was not a misprint and in fact an intended "stealth nerf" to the rules as presented in the Core Rulebook (that says Mystic Adepts can use Enchanting).

Assuming that is a correct claim (I have no way of personally knowing if it is or isn't), what's SRM's stance going to be on Forbidden Arcana saying Mystic Adepts have no access to Enchanting?

Eh. I'd rather just ban MA outright and stop fooling around with this nonsense, or failing that roll out the priority magic changes. Calling it a "stealth nerf" seems like a misrepresentation to me. MA needs some balance, is anyone actually gonna try argue this isn't true? Dropping Enchanting is about the smallest possible nerf imaginable, and falls pretty short imo.

« Last Edit: <02-17-19/1255:54> by Marcus »
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #77 on: <02-17-19/1309:17> »

Eh. I'd rather just ban MA outright and stop fooling around with this nonsense, or failing that roll out the priority magic changes. Calling it a "stealth nerf" seems like a misrepresentation to me. MA needs some balance, is anyone actually gonna try argue this isn't true? Dropping Enchanting is about the smallest possible nerf imaginable, and falls pretty short imo.

I agree completely, but that's for the Nerfing FAQ/Errata Committee. The SRM Committee doesn't have all that power, just the power to clarify which rule trumps which for SRM.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Fedifensor

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #78 on: <03-01-19/1057:48> »
Kill Code is now in Hero Lab, so I have a new FAQ question!

The FAQ lists the following for Ways in Street Grimoire:
Do Ways cost 40 Karma to purchase after character generation? (Street Grimoire, pg. 173)
No, these are a special subset of qualities that do not double in price after character generation.
Does the same apply to Streams for Technomancers?

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #79 on: <03-01-19/1802:43> »
Kill Code specifically says Streams do not cost double after chargen.  Should be good to go.

marlocfavirzal

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Newb
« Reply #80 on: <05-25-19/1334:43> »
I see that Chicago got a Submersion Group (Virtual Tribe), but Neo-Tokyo did not. Is it possible for Neo-Tokyo players to join the Chicago group, while we wait, since it is all digital?

EDIT: Jayde Moon replied in another thread
A Virtual Tribe will be pushed out for Origins.  Look for that soon.
« Last Edit: <05-29-19/1546:56> by marlocfavirzal »

Slamm-O!

• Chummer
« Reply #81 on: <06-18-19/1750:56> »
Can we get an update for the contact listing for Neo Tokyo to show who survived and who didn't in season 9 Mission 6.  Nothing was made 'official' and there are some questions about it.

Forbidden Arcana:
Pg. 182
Optional Rule: THE MENTOR’S MASK ~ can we add this on ?  It's a pretty thematic effect with a huge negative drawback. 
Mess with the best.  Die like the rest !

prophet42

• Newb
  • Financial Prognosticator
« Reply #82 on: <06-19-19/2236:30> »
Can we get an update for the contact listing for Neo Tokyo to show who survived and who didn't in season 9 Mission 6.  Nothing was made 'official' and there are some questions about it. 

+1

Wanting to see how screwed my team is based on their decisions.
If its not fun, then why are you doing it?

Jayde Moon

• Administrator
  • Ace Runner
  • Shadowrun Missions Developer
« Reply #83 on: <06-23-19/1914:00> »
Unofficial announcement here, then:

I was surprised that it was a complete sweep, but bottom line, by canon, the three Mita-Gumi contacts are deceased.

It will be more clearly detailed in the next FAQ release, and we will find a place for it in the Season 10 Missions themselves.
That's just like... your opinion, man.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #84 on: <06-24-19/0246:47> »
I'm impressed! Now I need to go look these up and figure out why people so eagerly went against them. Were they as slimy as Simon Andrews?
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Jayde Moon

• Administrator
  • Ace Runner
  • Shadowrun Missions Developer
« Reply #85 on: <06-24-19/1622:41> »
Slimon Andrews.
That's just like... your opinion, man.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #86 on: <06-25-19/0933:36> »
Slimon Andrews.

First, Simon is awesome but I understand haters gotta hate.

Second the Mita-Gumi  were total jerks.  Consistently.  Absolutely horrible people across the board.  Can't imagine that the overall player choices were really a surprise.  Plus who'd be against the Oni in the Hawaiian shirts?  He was my favorite, nobody would want to off him.  Totally harmless. 

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #87 on: <06-25-19/1925:06> »
Second the Mita-Gumi  were total jerks.  Consistently.  Absolutely horrible people across the board.  Can't imagine that the overall player choices were really a surprise.  Plus who'd be against the Oni in the Hawaiian shirts?  He was my favorite, nobody would want to off him.  Totally harmless. 

How was the lawyer with the youth outreach program a jerk?

prophet42

• Newb
  • Financial Prognosticator
« Reply #88 on: <06-26-19/1153:40> »
Unofficial announcement here, then:

I was surprised that it was a complete sweep, but bottom line, by canon, the three Mita-Gumi contacts are deceased.

It will be more clearly detailed in the next FAQ release, and we will find a place for it in the Season 10 Missions themselves.

Will there be some sort of work around for the teams that opted to side with the Mita-Gumi?

Or are they just fated to always be looking over their shoulders when they get calls/missions from/for the Inagawa-kai?
If its not fun, then why are you doing it?

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #89 on: <06-26-19/1208:33> »

How was the lawyer with the youth outreach program a jerk?

Youth Outreach?  That was a recruitment program.  Those kids wound up either arrested, dead, junkies, prostitutes or, if they were lucky, as disposable thugs.  The Lawyer was paying the street kids to do illegal things, I was not given the impression that magically stopped at age 12.