NEWS

"Omega" Cultured Bioware

• 20 Replies

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #15 on: <12-13-15/1255:19> »
Yeah, I agree.

Certainly there is "used" (as in, pulled out of someone's body and resold) Alphaware around. The actual quality of the ware shouldn't change, unless it was damaged in removal or degraded by the system it was implanted in, but probably should cost less since it WAS ripped out of someone else.
Playability > verisimilitude.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #16 on: <12-13-15/1332:15> »
Gamma-Delta was due to Delta already being in use. It *should* have been Gamma, then Delta *now*, but, it didn't fall out that way, so, we'll have those two flipped for a while.

I used Gamma to try and get us at least lined up in terminology, even if it goes, in essence, "A, B, D, C," at this point.

*grumble*

Nothing I could have done on THAT front, Delta's been around for, what, fifteen years now?

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #17 on: <12-13-15/1334:05> »
Yeah, I agree.

Certainly there is "used" (as in, pulled out of someone's body and resold) Alphaware around. The actual quality of the ware shouldn't change, unless it was damaged in removal or degraded by the system it was implanted in, but probably should cost less since it WAS ripped out of someone else.

Not listed anywhere, so it's just headcanon, not official at this time, but my take has always been that 'recycling' cyberware drops the quality by a step. So, that tailor-made Betaware for Bob is just Alphaware for anyone else ... still good quality, but it isn't 'tuned' for them. Alpha drops to Standard, while Standard drops to Used.

Helps explain where all the stuff comes from. :)

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #18 on: <12-13-15/1420:56> »
I've always gone with anything removed becomes "Used" quality regardless of the initial quality.

JmOz01

• Omae
« Reply #19 on: <12-13-15/1520:53> »
Coming from a more free defined game system background, I tend to look at effect before I look at fluff.  (Ie.  You want to say your cyberarm is a used delta grade, but has the stats of alpha, then you take alpha).  The "advantages" of having delta (prestige, etc...) gets balanced by "disadvantages" (hotshots looking to make a name for themselves)

gradivus

• Ace Runner
« Reply #20 on: <12-13-15/1651:08> »
I like the idea of the grades, but Used shouldn't have been listed among them.

Standard / Alpha / Beta / Gamma / Delta / Omega are all properly sequential. They make sense (except for the writers, who listed it Delta / Gamma b/c wrong alphabet lol).

But "Used" should be a modifier, not an official Grade. What if the original owner paid out the nose for tippy top quality, and you got it 2nd hand from them. Does it go from Gamma / Delta, straight down to Used? Or shouldn't it maybe just Tier down a little bit.
If you are gonna use Greek lettering, Alpha=standard
so:
Alpha 1
Beta .8
Gamma .7
Delta .5

"Speech" Thought >>Matrix<< Astral