NEWS

Arthur Vogel is dead? Damien Knight in bed with the bugs?

• 27 Replies

TonyK

• Chummer
  • 20 year on-and-off SR fan...
« Reply #15 on: <06-22-18/1236:12> »
A Dark Terrors related question...  What year is it in-game now?  I thought it followed "current IRL year + 60" but Dark Terrors has a line "The UCAS government filed lawsuits in the Corporate Court against NeoNET, Evo, and Aztechnology in late 2078. The verdicts in the cases against NeoNET were handed down throughout the second half of 2079; I’ll cover those in more detail later." implying it's at least 2080 now?  Apparently Wikipedia of all places does confirm it's 2080 now in Shadowrun.  Jeeze.  That means either my characters aged quite a bit or their backstories need to be altered to have major events (like Crash 2.0) happen even earlier in their lifetimes.

I think it's IRL+62.  That would be consistent with the 2050 setting in SR1,with the game released in 1988 (and boy, do I wish I still had my hardcover RB!).
My fave quote from SRR: "Damn you Mike Pondsmith"

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #16 on: <06-22-18/1410:30> »
It has varied over time but now is 62. You can tell when a book was significantly delayed when it's near 63 instead.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

blackshade10

• Newb
  • Elfie Technomancer
« Reply #17 on: <06-22-18/1737:16> »
Honestly, I didn't suspect at all that Damien is being controlled by the bugs.  The impression I got, from one of the books mentioning Vogel having some "mysterious benefactor" in some places, that Damien is trying to wrest control of his company away from the bugs who are manipulating Vogel, and Vogel's death/disappearance was a shadowrun backed by Damien to take Vogel out.

Checkmate

• Newb
  • -]|[-
« Reply #18 on: <06-23-18/0105:39> »
The surface evidence doesn't support that. Knight seems to be backing the bugs in the civil war going on in Ares at the moment. Could be part of a longer game though.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #19 on: <06-24-18/0808:34> »
I doesn't seem like Knight to come down on his own people like that. It seems increasingly likely that the bugs have gotten to him.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Nephilim

• Newb
« Reply #20 on: <06-25-18/0923:38> »
I doesn't seem like Knight to come down on his own people like that. It seems increasingly likely that the bugs have gotten to him.

Well thats...terrifying...

Streetsam_Crunch

• Newb
  • Grumpy Old Ork
« Reply #21 on: <06-26-18/0122:03> »
I haven't read it yet, myself but...

And that... an understatement...  :o

Crunch~

Nephilim

• Newb
« Reply #22 on: <06-26-18/0910:34> »
And that... an understatement...  :o

Crunch~

Yeah, I'm good at that. Something to keep in mind if you ever run for me. There'll be 'light' resistance.  ;)

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #23 on: <06-27-18/1225:56> »

That's right up there with "Y'know, things have been awfully quiet at Renraku lately..."
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Nephilim

• Newb
« Reply #24 on: <06-27-18/1257:05> »
Actually I heard they were vetting Arcologies for the next takeover. Pretty sure they'd narrowed it down to Tokyo or San Fran...  ;)

Streetsam_Crunch

• Newb
  • Grumpy Old Ork
« Reply #25 on: <06-29-18/0158:58> »
Now that would be a nice backdrop for the Missions seasons in Neo-Tokyo. The rise of Renraku (and a huge arcology being built by them once again...)

Crunch~

fseperent

• Omae
« Reply #26 on: <06-29-18/0252:24> »
On topic:
There's only 3 real options in regard to Vogel: he's dead, a fleshform, or being brainwashed to be a better merge.
Damien Knight, there is no way he would not know Otto Stevens is Otto Hendricks.
Why else would Hendricks target Vogel supporters?

A possibility is that Knight plans on framing the whole mess on Vogel, if word gets out about Hendricks.
"I did not know that most, if not all, of Vogel's supporters were fleshforms.
And how would I know Vogel hired Hendricks?"
It's pretty hard for a corpse to defend themselves.

On Renraku:
Jumping into the limelight is not their style.
Not with all the effort they put in to make themselves as discreet as they have.

They might buyout as arcology, but even then, they would (try to) keep it quiet.
Too many people remember the SCIRE.
Noone wants to imagine another incident like that in their backyard.

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #27 on: <06-29-18/1104:09> »
re Renraku and arcologies:

I suspect that the golden age of the arcology is well past by 2080.  They kind of made sense when it seemed like society was degenerating into chaos and nobody knew how much worse it might get.  Built what is functionally a fortress where you can keep your employees and their work areas and all of your other assets.  But they have to be godawfully expensive to build and maintain, so the payoff from togetherness, security, and advertising/status has to be pretty big for them to make much sense.

Not that things aren’t still bad in 2080, what with CFD, the impact of losing Boston, the unwinding of nanotech based production chains (and all the economic cost and disruption that no doubt caused).  But somehow I don’t feel that either the person on the street nor the corporate executive is quite as uncertain about the future as they might have been back in the thirties or forties.

Not saying that there won't be anymore, but the situation would have to be particularly favorable, I think.