NEWS

Sri Lanka?

• 7 Replies

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« on: <03-04-16/1021:07> »
I was looking at making a character who is from Sri Lanka.  There was essentially no information in the shadowrun wiki (one of the megas has some offshore mining, Vedacorp is Sri Lanka based, that was about it). 

Based on the table of contents listing in the wiki, it looks like there should be a section on it in Shadow of Asia, but the wiki ToC listing doesn’t give page numbers, so I have no idea if there is more than a paragraph or two.  I was wondering if someone who has the book could let me know if there is anything of substance there?  (as in, if I already know current world info on the country, do they change it much, give much detail on events/corps/magic/whatever?)  (not that it wouldn’t be a decent reference book to have anyway – but there are a lot of older books I’d like to have, so it becomes a priority thing).

Anyone know of information on it in any other sources?

Nightmare

• Chummer
  • Freelance merc, runner, and assassin
« Reply #1 on: <03-04-16/1614:58> »
Closest I can think of that will give you some information on Sri Lanka is the *Shadows of Europe* book from 3E.  I think there might be a mention in there on it, but am unsure.

cyclopean

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <03-05-16/1435:06> »
There's a few paragraphs on pg 68 of shadows of asia, i don't have a pdf of it but here's the gist:
presidential democracy, with a powerful buddhist monastic council. Peace brokered between Tamil's and singhalese led to Sri Lanka becoming a popular tourist destination, major port of call on sea routes, and business haven in Asia. numerous high-class/high security conference centers/resorts.

Beta

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <03-05-16/1528:56> »
Thanks bunches -- that is enough for a character background :)

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <03-05-16/1612:47> »
If you make a Char from Kerala (the Southern Tip of India, close to Sri Lanka itself) You could give this Char the Martial Art Kalaripayattu

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalaripayat

with a Kathakali
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Nightmare

• Chummer
  • Freelance merc, runner, and assassin
« Reply #5 on: <03-11-16/1526:36> »
Directly from Shadows of Asia pg 68

SRI LANKA
Government Type: Presidential democracy
Population: 19,100,000 (Shingal 74%, Tamil 18%, Moors 7%,
Other 1%)
Major Languages Spoken: Shingal, Tamil, English
Major Religions: Buddhist (71%), Hindu (13%), Christian (8%),
Islam (Sunni 8%)

by Avantika Suryavanshi

After a protracted insurgency pitting the Tamil minority against the majority Shingalese, a peace agreement was brokered by the island nation’s influential Buddhist monastic council, the Sangha. With the world becoming increasingly turbulent and unsafe, the island cashed in on its newfound peace, tropical climate and scenery to market itself as a safe haven for business and pleasure. Erecting several world-renowned conference and resort centers, Sri Lanka has become a sophisticated (and secure) environment for brain-trusts and corporations to hold thaumaturgical, scientific and academic conferences.

Always geared toward complementing the changing needs of their regional partners, and less dependent on the vagaries of international trade, Sri Lanka’s local industries have taken the nuyen influx from their specialized and high-end
tourism venture and capitalized on it, returning to preeminence as a major port of call on Asian and Indic sea routes. The vibrant, pleasure-seeking portlife of the free-going coastal areas, especially around Colombo, contrasts with thelandscaped glitz and touristy golf courses of the inland and east coast resorts. The schizoid aspect of the island’s culture only makes it more appealing to many.

> The (controlled) discussions and exchanges that take place at these conferences and meetings are still essential to the scientific community so the corps have adapted to them. Using out-of-the-way and high security venues like Sri Lanka’s resorts helps limit exposure of top talent and restricts extraction opportunities.
> Hangfire

> And Colombo fixers and kingpins are raking it in greasing the right hands and providing logistics and intel to runners willing to take big risks extracting big names.
> Mogli

Lorebane24

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <03-16-16/0235:03> »
Not sure if this is in the wiki, but I know that when you date a girl from Sri-Lanka and her parents find out, they make her drop out of med school and force her into an arranged marriage next time she visits home to make sure she marries into the right race.  Could be a sweeping generalization to, cause that's all taken from a single incident.
The power of the Tri-Horse!

Beta

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <03-16-16/1020:10> »
Ouch!

(Not just Sri Lanka, mind you -- a number of cultures have been that way. )