NEWS

Who's still running in the 50s?

• 8 Replies

Raphael diSanto

• Newb
  • Dum vivmus, vivamus.....
« on: <04-10-17/1641:03> »
I have to admit, it's probably because that's where I "found" Shadowrun, but I still love the 2050s. The Renraku Arcology's still a thing and Technomancers aren't. Deckers still use decks and Chicago's still in one piece, etc etc. Oh, and Big D is still alive and everyone's favorite spellwurm.

My current homebrew campaign is basically 2050s-era SR, but with modified and updated bits. For example, while Deckers still use decks, wifi is definitely a thing. You can't hack cyberware, and you still gotta be jacked into the deck to actually, you know, deck, but your deck can access the 'trix wirelessly, as long as it's got a signal - Or more importantly, can access your target corp's internal wifi, once he's within range.

Anyone else still living in the past, or are we all 2070s and it's a shiny new world out there?
RdS
This is not the signature you are looking for.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <04-11-17/0605:02> »
I ran a successful 2050 campaign with the old classics about he UB and the beginning bug conspiracy. This was helped tremendously by the German 2050 source book that contains rules for 5e (and additional stuff from the Dragon Fall game).

Can't go wrong with the 50s and their future of the 1980s  ;D
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Raphael diSanto

• Newb
  • Dum vivmus, vivamus.....
« Reply #2 on: <04-11-17/0946:55> »
Can't go wrong with the 50s and their future of the 1980s  ;D

I'm so totally an 80s kid. I swear, in my head, it's still 1987, Guns 'n Roses just released Appetite for Destruction and Lethal Weapon is still in the theatres.

That's probably why I love both cyberpunk and Fasa's 2050s so much. Wireless hacking via an implant may be a more "realistic" view of the future, but there's something so deliciously cyberpunk about plugging a cable from your head into a computer, y'know?

As one of my favorite characters from another seminally 80s movie (even though it was made in '92) puts it: "Better to be dead and cool, than alive and uncool"
RdS
This is not the signature you are looking for.

JD

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <04-20-17/1020:00> »
*raises hand*
At least until CGL releases (what we consider) a playable set of rules, we are sticking to 3ed (warts and all) and having a blast playing through the published adventures in chronological order.
It was great 30 years ago, and it still is - some of the writing is actually very good (Missing Blood!), and the metaplot hasn't gone all Cthulhu-on-steroids yet.
And the music is great indeed!
""Just ignore the rules" seems to be the consistent take I get on this forum" 
-Typhus

pendragonx

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <04-26-17/1010:23> »
wow, I was going to ask this very question --

I reeeeallly really loved the Shadowrun games for the PC that came out from HareBrainedSchemes, however I didn't realize they took place in the 2050s until a while ago...

Yet, I've heard nothing but great things about the 5th ed ruleset. So now that I've picked up the 5th Ed books, I was wondering if there was a way that people use 5th in the 2nd edition setting ... Glad to hear it's worked for you . .I may want to pick your brain about certain things, for example ..are you still treating commlinks as just phones or are you replacing them with PDA's+commlink as well, like they have in 5th?
« Last Edit: <04-26-17/1356:40> by pendragonx »

Prime Mover

• Omae
  • Prime Runners need Prime Fixers
« Reply #5 on: <04-26-17/1435:10> »
Did flashback game once set in 50's.  Tied together a run from first edition with one from 5th.  Best part the Runners son leading team in finally.  Players son grew up watching us play, got get some closer for one of his Dads first runs.
Why do things happen the way they happen? For
all I know the world Is Just one big game and all of
our actions are determined by the roll of a die.
-  Dunkelzahn,  Great-Dragon

pendragonx

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <05-27-17/1928:17> »
This was helped tremendously by the German 2050 source book that contains rules for 5e (and additional stuff from the Dragon Fall game).

So picked up "Shadowrun 2050", linky link however it's not for 5th edition .. It has rules for 20th anniversary conversion.. Curious what book you might have found?

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
  • Uzi's + Fireballs .... Why I love Shadowrun!
« Reply #7 on: <05-27-17/2306:19> »
I've seriously contemplated trying to convert the old SR1 Modules into 5E rules.

When I think about what is changed the biggest "rule" that wouldn't be around in 2050 is wireless decking.

Outside of that it seems that the story is the story & NPC stats get some basic conversion done to them, but it shouldn't be a HUGE undertaking.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <05-28-17/0134:41> »
This was helped tremendously by the German 2050 source book that contains rules for 5e (and additional stuff from the Dragon Fall game).

So picked up "Shadowrun 2050", linky link however it's not for 5th edition .. It has rules for 20th anniversary conversion.. Curious what book you might have found?

It's the difference between the English version from CGL and the German version from Pegasus.
Pegasus not only translated, but created new content - including conversion rules.
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex