NEWS

[6e] Improved Invisibility vs cameras & drones

• 61 Replies

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #30 on: <01-18-21/1036:33> »
The whole point in explicitly changing invisibility and silence resistance rolls from Logic + Willpower or Intuition + Logic to Perception is that potential observers now just have to roll once. Then you compare hits. Done. This is fast. Smooth. It speed things up. Almost as if it was changed by design ;-)

This is similar to how you typically don't take one perception test to first see something that is visually hidden and if you fail then you take another perception test to figure out if you can instead hear it. You just roll once. Compare hits. Evaluate how much you see and hear from that. Done.

Or if there are two ninjas sneaking in the shadows. This is not resolved as two separate perception tests. You still just take one perception test. Compare hits. Done. Depending on rolls you might spot both of them, one of them or none of them.

In the case a subject is sneaking, have an invisibility spell and a silence spell you are not adding any value at all by resolving it as 3-4 separate perception tests. All you do is that you slow things down. For no apparent reason at all. Just roll once. Compare hits. Done.

Mechanically stealth work just like invisibility + silence (with the exception that stealth doesn't work in situations where you would be immediately obvious for an observer). All three set thresholds for future perception tests to beat. Observers roll once. Compare hits. And based on the rolls (and the situation) the observer either see the intruder, hear the intruder, both see and hear the intruder or doesn't see nor hear the intruder.

Example;

Silence with 5 hits
Invisibility with 2 hits
Stealth with 4 hits

Intruder sneak up on a guard. Guard roll perception once. Guard get 3 hits. Guard doesn't hear the intruder. Guard is unaware and does not get to spend Edge when intruder backstab him. Doesn't matter if the guard didn't hear the intruder because he was sneaking very carefully or if he had an active silence spell. And in this scenario it doesn't matter at all that the intruder had an invisibility spell since vision was not part of the equation to begin with. Important thing is that the guard failed to hear and as a result potentially ended up with a knife in his back.

Intruder stand in front of a guard and give him the finger. Guard gets 3 hits. Since intruder is immediately obvious and the guard resisted invisibility the guard see the intruder. He is not happy.

Intruder stick to the shadows. Guard get 3 hits. Guard doesn't see the intruder (nor does he hear the intruder). Doesn't matter if guard didn't see the intruder because the intruder was hiding very carefully in the shadows or because he had an active invisibility spell. Important thing is that the guard didn't visually see the intruder.

In any case, that second Stealth vs. Perception test has nothing to do with magic anymore. So I hope we all agree that a drone will use its Sensor + Clearsight dice pool for it?
Since drones doesn't resist improved invisibility with Sensor + Clearsight you have to resolve it in two steps (just like how you would resolve invisibility + stealth against living subjects in the previous edition) :-(

But this is yet another argument for Shinobi Killfist's case....

IF drones had resisted improved invisibility and silence with Sensor + Clearsight (instead of OR, as he suggest) THEN they too would just have to roll once to resolve if they notice a subject using stealth + imp. invisibility + silence ;-)

Going unseen and going undetected are not the same thing.  An observer can still detect an invisible infiltrator by hearing them, smelling them, noticing a door just opened for no apparent reason, etc.
Precisely.

Which is why infiltrators typically still roll stealth at the beginning of the infiltration attempt, in addition to the magicians invisibility and silence spells.

But the guard still just roll perception once. Compare hits. Done.

Odsh

• Chummer
« Reply #31 on: <01-18-21/1102:08> »
I'm all for simplifying things and rolling less dice. But...

Example:

Silence with 5 hits
Invisibility with 5 hits
Stealth with 3 hits
Guard gets 4 hits

-> Guard spots the intruder (because he for example wasn't careful when opening a door).

I would find it really strange (bordering on absurd honestly) that the Stealth test is not made easier thanks to the unresisted Invisibility & Silence spells (else why cast them in the first place?).

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #32 on: <01-18-21/1124:58> »

Example:

Silence with 5 hits
Invisibility with 5 hits
Stealth with 3 hits
Guard gets 4 hits

-> Guard spots the intruder (because he for example wasn't careful when opening a door).

I would find it really strange (bordering on absurd honestly) that the Stealth test is not made easier thanks to the unresisted Invisibility & Silence spells (else why cast them in the first place?).

If you have a silence 5/invis 5. I'd go with don't make a stealth check unless they are doing something that can be noticed without sound/sight. I mean go ahead and make the roll if the person wants to, but nothing would be less than 5 hits, outside maybe like if dogs were there and you still needed to hide vs smell. Now yes if you are opening a door that is in view of a guard doing it in a way that does not arouse suspicion would be a stealth check, you fail that the guard would know the door opened without a visible reason and would be suspicious, but they would still not see or hear you so unless they had some other form of detecting you would not spot you. Given its a world with magic and tech that can make you invisible, they might raise some alert, maybe not a full alert but a low key one.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #33 on: <01-18-21/1151:52> »

Example:

Silence with 5 hits
Invisibility with 5 hits
Stealth with 3 hits
Guard gets 4 hits

I agree somewhat.  But on the other hand, rolling one test against multiple thresholds does end up being an indirect nerf to MagicRun.  If you still need to invest in Stealth rather than just having the mage make you invisible, then those who DID invest in Stealth didn't waste their time when the mage makes them Invisible.  Personal anecdote: I got pretty frustrated in 5e playing a covert ops/infiltrator type because the mage could just give everyone Concealment at force 9. Hooray. I specialized in stealth for no reason.

I think the thread has reached a point where we're discussing the Art of GMing, rather than what drones/cameras roll.  I have to admit Xenon made a compelling argument.  I'm still not sure if I agree that 1 roll covering multiple things is the best way to do it, but I have to admit that it's a more elegant approach than applying OR... especially since the basis for the argument is rooted in 5e rather than 6e per se.

However, what's keeping me from embracing it is Edge generation.  That is a huge deal in this edition.  It's not just a feature of combat.  You should be able to generate Edge by sneaking past guards, but that's not possible when the Stealth test establishes a threshold and then the guard rolls gainst that threshold.  Again with the Art of GMing... but I'm convinced that the rolls need to be opposed so that Edge can be generated.  It's a matter of whether action outside of combat exists only to establish context for combat, or if action outside of combat is equally important to the game as combat.  You wouldn't have combat be resolved by one Firearms/Close Combat test, would you?  Why should an infiltration be resolved by a single Stealth test that applies one threshold that's then checked multiple times?  Especially since contexts will change... Sneaking through a lonely, dimly-lit warehouse with lots of cover is one thing, but then when you have to sneak past the guard standing at the well-lit doorway to the Manager's Office... that dramatic change in environmental context really demands (in my opinion at least) another Stealth test, distinct from the one you rolled to go thru the "easy part".
« Last Edit: <01-18-21/1156:07> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Odsh

• Chummer
« Reply #34 on: <01-18-21/1219:25> »
Personal anecdote: I got pretty frustrated in 5e playing a covert ops/infiltrator type because the mage could just give everyone Concealment at force 9. Hooray. I specialized in stealth for no reason.

I can relate to that. Same reason why the adept wonders why he invested in wall running, freefall and traceless walk when the mage can just levitate everyone around. There is a reason for STMF...

That's why I personally don't mind a drone resisting with 15 dice to Improved Visibility. It gives the decker or the Infiltration expert an occasion to shine.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #35 on: <01-18-21/1236:13> »

Example:

Silence with 5 hits
Invisibility with 5 hits
Stealth with 3 hits
Guard gets 4 hits

Grant Edge to the Infiltrator if they're invisible, silenced and such.  Possibly 2 Edge if multiple magical or technological sneaking effects are on.  Let the player decide, use the Edge to improve the Stealth checks or carry the Edge over into combat to represent getting the drop on the opposition. 

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #36 on: <01-18-21/1247:24> »

Example:

Silence with 5 hits
Invisibility with 5 hits
Stealth with 3 hits
Guard gets 4 hits

Grant Edge to the Infiltrator if they're invisible, silenced and such.  Possibly 2 Edge if multiple magical or technological sneaking effects are on.  Let the player decide, use the Edge to improve the Stealth checks or carry the Edge over into combat to represent getting the drop on the opposition.

That's the rub... you don't KNOW if the spells are in effect for the interaction until after the observer rolls.

So maybe the best thing to do is a sort of delayed effect.  Invisible has its threshold.  Observer rolls against it.  If successful, not only is it ignored, the observer gets awarded Edge.  THEN, the infiltrator rolls Stealth against a threshold the Observer just established.  With Edge if the Observer failed to pierce invisibility.
« Last Edit: <01-18-21/1253:18> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #37 on: <01-18-21/1328:57> »

Example:

Silence with 5 hits
Invisibility with 5 hits
Stealth with 3 hits
Guard gets 4 hits

Personal anecdote: I got pretty frustrated in 5e playing a covert ops/infiltrator type because the mage could just give everyone Concealment at force 9. Hooray. I specialized in stealth for no reason.

The one thing they could have done which would have fixed 90% of magic run is fix spirits, the one thing they did not do is fix spirits. Though I'd also like a buff to mundanes, how I loved it in 2e when my troll had more bioware than god with 0 essence loss from it so he could then shove another 5.9 essence of cyber into his body while magical types any bioware cost essence, so they were well behind in the ware curve.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #38 on: <01-18-21/1337:07> »
I am curious. You mentioned this a few times now.
Where did you get this whole idea that Edge can only be earned on strictly opposed rolls...?

You should be able to generate Edge by sneaking past guards
Please walk me through the reasoning why you should be able to generate edge simply by sneaking past guards (unless you first created some sort of distraction etc to grant you a tactical advantage of sorts while sneaking).

but that's not possible when the Stealth test establishes a threshold and then the guard rolls gainst that threshold. 
Please walk me through your reasoning why there would be any difference between rolling stealth in advance to set a threshold or rolling stealth at the spot (when it comes to Edge).

I'm convinced that the rolls need to be opposed so that Edge can be generated. 
Are you referencing some specific part of the book here or where did you get this idea from?

Why should an infiltration be resolved by a single Stealth test that applies one threshold that's then checked multiple times? 
For the same reason you typically don't make a Spellcasting + Magic test against every possible observer...

Sneaking through a lonely, dimly-lit warehouse with lots of cover is one thing,
This is when Sneaking is actually useful.

but then when you have to sneak past the guard standing at the well-lit doorway to the Manager's Office...
There are situations where no amount of sneaking will get you pass. This is one of them.
Situations like this is where invisibility become useful. Or tranq darts. Or alternative routes. Or distractions. Or social infiltration.

That's the rub... you don't KNOW if the spells are in effect for the interaction until after the observer rolls.
That is the point.
You don't know in advance if the illusion will be enough or if you need to keep to the shadows.
You can't decide to sneak after the observer already resisted the illusion. By then it is way too late.

You decide if you want to stick to the shadows (even if you have an invisibility spell). Then the guard take his test.

And the result is binary. Either his hits were not enough and you were not spotted (at which point it doesn't matter if it was because of the spell or your skill - not spotted is not spotted) or his hits were enough and you were spotted (at which point the observer will not notice that you had an invisibility spell to begin with and will just see that you are trying to hide in the shadows).

If successful, not only is it ignored, the observer gets awarded Edge. 
I don't get this part.
Please walk me through the reasoning why an observer would automatically get a point of Edge just for resisting a spell.

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #39 on: <01-18-21/1444:56> »
If successful, not only is it ignored, the observer gets awarded Edge. 
I don't get this part.
Please walk me through the reasoning why an observer would automatically get a point of Edge just for resisting a spell.

It's taking something of a liberty (aka, "Art of GMing") but it's trying to allow for the possibility of Edge gain during the sneak, rather than waiting for combat.  Which is what your suggestion seems to be doing.

You asked me to explain quite a few things in that last post, I'll try to cover them all with one explanation.  First, what is Edge and why do I think you need to be getting it during the sneak, as opposed to the sneak giving you edge during a backstab:

The concept is described on pg 44.  It never explicitly says it's only generated during combat or whether you can potentially generate it outside of combat.  During the intro, it uses a couple combat contextual examples, but it also uses language like "It’s both what you plan for and the unexpected moment when you seize an opportunity and make it your own" that to me says it doesn't have to be during combat.  And indeed, we DO have explicit rule support for generating Edge during hacking (outside of cybercombat) and during social encounters.  We also have Edge that triggers on the gear leg of the triad like Chameleon suits and certain augmentations.  When you look at the rules for a Chameleon Suit, for example, it's implicitly obvious that you can earn edge while sneaking, even when that sneaking doesn't result in combat.  I don't think there should be any disagreement thus far?

Assuming you CAN earn edge while sneaking as opposed to sneaking only giving an edge in surprise attacks in combat:

Look at the Chameleon Suit.  It gives bonus edge for sneak tests.  Ok, cut and dried, but rule zero is still assumed to apply.  If you're already invisible, should you really still get the chameleon suit bonus?  How could it affect anything if you're invisible?  But still, if the invisibility is resisted and you're NOT invisible, then obviously you SHOULD get the bonus.  None of this is illogical I trust.

Let's walk through a scenario: A ninja is trying to sneak through a dark warehouse patrolled by few sentries. The goal is to reach a crime boss in a well lit office inside the warehouse, and that area is much well guarded/patrolled than the warehouse at large.  The ninja is wearing a chameleon suit and a friendly mage cast Improved Invisibility on him (and for pedantry's sake, we'll assume the spell covers the gear as well as the person)

If I understand your proposal Xenon, the process should work like this:  The spell has a threshold (we'll say 4).  The ninja should only roll 1 stealth check, without regard to the number of times they come into proximity with an observer who might notice them, and also without regard to the changing conditions across the entire infiltration (dark and easy cover and no bottlenecks, then bright and little cover and a guarded bottleneck that must be transited).  Let's say that test results in 5 hits.

via whatever mechanic that resolves this, while crossing the warehouse and before reaching the guarded door, only 1 patrolling guard ends up being in position to potentially notice the ninja.  You're saying he rolls a perception test once.  If he gets 4, he sees through the invisibility.  If he gets 5, he notices the ninja.  In this particular iteration, seeing through the invisibility is irrelevant as it takes 5 to notice the ninja anyway.  If the thresholds were reversed however, at 4 hits the guard would have heard or otherwise noticed the ninja, but it would take 5 hits to SEE the ninja.  Repeat for when the ninja tries to get past the guarded office door.

So, if I don't understand your recommendation/suggestion, I apologize.  what I just said is how I understand it, so as I attack it please accept a proactive mea culpa.

Problems with the above: 1) We have no idea if the ninja should have gotten edge for the Agility+Stealth test.  If invisible, the effect doesn't even work.  And we don't know if the invisibility works or not until after the guard rolls, which logically must occur after the start of the infiltration.  So, literally: Ninja rolls Agility+Stealth.  Does he get the Edge for wearing the suit while invisible, or not? You can't say, under this paradigm. 2) one stealth test for the entire infiltration doesn't differentiate between the very different contexts of one guard patrolling a vast, dark warehouse with lots of obscuring cover and one stationary guard just watching a well lit chokepoint. 3 (only potentially an issue) if your stealth test is better than the mage's spellcasting test, being invisible gives no mechanical benefit.

Walk through on what I propose/believe is the best "art" to adjudicate this scenario:

Ninja's mage friend rolls for the invisibility before the sneak even begins, as with yours.  However the ninja does not roll Agility+Stealth at this time.  We only have a threshhold for the spell.  Then, once by whatever mechanic resolves that a guard came close enough to potentially notice the ninja, the observer will roll perception against the invisible status.  If unsuccessful, we know the sneak suit will be irrelevant.  If the observer IS successful, invisibility doesn't matter but the sneak suit will. Consider this a trigger point, for later explanation.  Then, ONLY after this test, the ninja rolls Agility+Stealth. The suit either gives or doesn't give its gear bonus, based on what we now know about whether invisibility is in play. Additionally, invisibility either does or does not factor in for the circumstantial leg of the edge triad.  Originally, I was saying the observer should now roll again to make this test opposed.  However, I do see the merit in your argument at least for streamlining things, and can abide with the # of observers hits now being a threshold for the ninja to make a succest test against.  One where we now know whether the suit or invisibilty is factoring in for edge for the ninja, as well.

Ok so, because I came around and agreed that 1 perception test instead of 2 (for one potential notice) makes sense, we do still have a bit of an edge problem. Delaying the Stealth test until after  resolving whether the observer is affected by invisibility answers questions about whether the ninja gains edge on the Stealth test, it doesn't allow opportunity for the observer to gain edge during that same test.  Ergo, the trigger point I referenced before. Giving the observer edge at that point (for successfully piercing invisibility) is just a way to give retroactive edge to the observer for the ninja's stealth test.  Of course in this particular case, you might decline to give edge to the observer due to the sneak suit.  Or maybe because it's dark and he doesn't have low light vision. or maybe you just award both edge and let it go as a wash.  Adjudicating edge is an art, not a science.  It's not legislated what gives edge and what doesn't, and that's by design. But the process needs a place to evaluate the factors for potential edge award.  That's a hard need.

Of course, after the ninja gets past the warehouse patrol (either via stealth or combat) there's another "encounter" in getting by the bodyguard at the well lit office doorway.  The process repeats, rather than one test representing an entire infiltration.  This guard might fail or succeed to pierce invisibility without regard for how the first guard did.  Also the ninja's Agility+Stealth roll is made in an entirely different environmental context (bright, little cover, a guarded chokepoint that must be passed through) than before, which can end up having completely different consequences for edge generation than the first test did.

Clearer than mud?

TL;DR
1) You get edge for stuff even outside combat, such as sneaking
2) You should manage the rolls for tests in such a way to allow for the potential TO gain edge for sneaking.  for both sides.
3) combat isn't resolved in one test.  Social encounters aren't resolved in one test.  Edgo, an entire infiltration shouldn't be resolved with one Stealth test.
« Last Edit: <01-18-21/1525:10> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #40 on: <01-18-21/1737:22> »
We also have Edge that triggers on the gear leg of the triad like Chameleon suits and certain augmentations.
Yes, if you are dressed in ruthenium polymer then you have a reason to argue that you have a tactical advantage while infiltrating a plant and you might earn one point of edge for that. Agreed.

SR6 p. 265 Chameleon Suit
You gain a bonus Edge when performing Stealth tests to hide while wearing an active suit.

(note it says 'a' bonus Edge even though it says multiple 'tests').

If you killed the power to have the whole facility on backup generators and emergency lightning then I would also consider it a reason to award tactical advantage while sneaking and you might earn one point of edge for that. Or if you fill the area with smoke then you could also argue for a tactical advantage while trying to stay hidden while people are looking for you and you might earn one point of edge for that.

Outside of combat you typically gain a point of Edge that you need to spend on the related test or you gain one point of Edge at the beginning of the encounter, conflict or endeavor (or if not at the beginning then you might instead earn it when something special special happens during the encounter itself). There are exceptions but I'd say you would typically not gain multiple points of Edge simply for infiltrating a plant or for negotiating the price of a run (but I also understand that different people probably rule this differently).

SR6 p. Social Edge Tests
Generally speaking, Edge would be awarded once, either at the beginning of an encounter or when particular circumstances arise, not repeatedly throughout the encounter.

And while just sneaking while not having anything to give you an edge over your opponent in the situation should typically not grant you edge at all.

And observers should probably also not randomly gain edge just for spotting things (again, unless of course they used some sort of gear or quality etc that would give them an edge in the situation.... blindly trying to sneak around in smoke while the observer have thermographic vision and can see you perfectly well, for example, could perhaps grant one point of edge to the observer).

If I understand your proposal Xenon, the process should work like this:  The spell has a threshold (we'll say 4).  The ninja should only roll 1 stealth check, without regard to the number of times they come into proximity with an observer who might notice them, and also without regard to the changing conditions across the entire infiltration
There is no firm rule here, but book (I didn't write the book) seem to suggest that most of the times you simply take the test at the start of the infiltration which will set a threshold for potential observers.

SR6 p. 97 Stealth
Typically, a Stealth + Agility test is made at the start of such an effort, with the net hits being used as a threshold for others to notice what the character is up to.

And other times the book (not me) says that you instead roll it directly as part of an opposed test.

SR6 p. 97 Stealth
Sometimes the attempt at stealth happens spontaneously, so it is a Stealth + Agility vs. Perception + Intuition Opposed test.

If you see it fit to reroll the stealth test for whatever reason then you just do it.
And if you want to reroll stealth every time an observer look at the ninja during the infiltration, then you just do that as well (although the book is pretty clear that you typically just roll once to set a threshold).

If you want you can probably also reroll Spellcasting + Magic against every potential observer as well (although here the book is pretty clear that you should always just roll once to set a threshold)

Same as you can also roll visual perception, followed by audio perception, followed by noticing magic perception, followed by resist invis perception, followed by resist silence perception. And you can do this for every potential observer as well.

Or you just roll once. Same thing really. But quite a lot faster to resolve. Sometimes you can notice many different things with many different senses. Sure as hell a lot faster to resolve it as a single test. And the outcome is very similar. Even after your post I honestly don't see what the extra rolls would add :-/

Walk through on what I propose...
So if I boil all that down you would not award edge as long as the observer fail to resist the invisibility spell. Fair enough.

But the ruthenium polymer is something that would be considered giving the intruder a tactical advantage when trying to stay out of sight against observers that successfully resisted the invisibility spell. Also fair I guess.

I don't fully agree with your reading that the ninja would earn one point of Edge for every single observer that successfully resisted the invisibility spell, but I can see what you are aiming for here.

I also don't agree with your reading that observers would automatically earn edge for no other reason that their perception test was successful. Not sure I fully understand your reasoning here to be honest, but that is also fine.

The real question is; With your reading, what stop you from evaluating it precisely like that even if you roll stealth in advance....??

Back to my example where you roll once for infiltrating the plant.

Silence with 5 hits
Invisibility with 2 hits
Stealth with 4 hits

First Guard roll 1 hit. No edge for the intruder (as chameleon suit never came into effect this time). Ninja is still hidden.

Next Guard roll 3 hits. Award edge for the intruder (as guard resisted invis). Ninja is still hidden.

Third Guard roll 5 hits. Award edge for the intruder (as guard resisted invis). The guard is about to spot the ninja!
....but the ninja might consider it worthwhile to spend some of his tactical advantage to reroll a few hits for the observer.
After all, to gain a tactical advantage that he could spend when most needed, is why he bothered to dress up in ruthenium polymer to begin with. Right? ;-)
If the guard turns out to actually spot the Ninja he is awarded a point of Edge for that. Not sure why, but OK :-)

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #41 on: <01-19-21/0424:10> »
Two ninjas plan to infiltrate a plant.
One of them have an active Chameleon Suit. This ninja get one point of Edge because of that.
Both ninjas roll Stealth + Agility (and Spend Edge) to set the thresholds for guards to notice them.

On the route our two ninjas chosen they will encounter two separate guards.

Guard on the ground floor roll Perception + Intuition against both thresholds. Once.
Depending on his roll he might notice both (even with a single roll), one or none of the ninjas.

Guard on the top floor also roll Perception + Intuition against both thresholds. Once.
Depending on his roll he might notice both, one or none of the ninjas.

Done.

Instead of focusing on rolling massive amount of dice for each single guard, the time and effort is instead put into the narrative part of the actual infiltration. The role playing. The action. The fun stuff.

Sure, you can probably resolve it as two separate perception tests (but why)

Guard on the ground floor roll Perception + Intuition against the first ninja
Guard on the ground floor roll Perception + Intuition against the second ninja
Depending on his rolls he might notice both, one or none of the ninjas.

Guard on the top floor also roll Perception + Intuition against the first ninja.
Guard on the top floor also roll Perception + Intuition against the second ninja.
Depending on his rolls he might notice both, one or none of the ninjas.

Basically the same result. But with twice as many rolls.

Team's adept is about to infiltrate the plant. The team's Shaman cast invisibility on him.
Neither the Adept nor the Shaman have anything specific to grant them Edge.
Adept roll Stealth + Agility (and Spend Edge) to set the threshold for guards to resist stealth.
Shaman roll Spellcasting + Magic (and Spend Edge) to set the threshold for guards to resist invisibility.

On the first floor the Adept run into a guard.
Guard roll Perception + Intuition against both thresholds. Once.
If the guard beat both thresholds then the adept is seen and combat will start.
If the guard does not beat the threshold of invis but beat threshold of stealth then guard will hear something and get suspicious.
If the guard does not beat the threshold of stealth then the guard will not notice anything.

Again very few rolls from a mechanical point of view. But that just mean we get more time to focus on the narrative and describing the infiltration attempt and how close it was that the guards noticed the player.

If you want you can also still resolve it with two perception tests (like how we used to do it in previous edition).

Guard roll Perception + Intuition against invis threshold
Guard roll Perception + Intuition against stealth threshold
If the guard beat both thresholds then the adept is seen and combat will start.
If the guard does not beat the threshold of invis but beat threshold of stealth then guard will hear something and get suspicious.
If the guard does not beat the threshold of stealth then the guard will not notice anything.

Same result. But twice as many rolls.

On the top floor there is a well lit corridor with no cover with a guard standing in the middle of the corridor looking at the direction of the adept.
The Adept know that he would be immediately spotted if he tried to sneak pass the guard.
He could find another route. Try his social skills. Try to neutralize the guard. Wait for a shift change or the guard to leave. Etc.
But since he have an active invisibility spell on him he decide to just silently walk pass the guard in clear sight.
Guard roll Perception + Intuition against both thresholds. Once.
If the guard beat the threshold of invis then the adept is seen and combat will start.
If the guard does not beat any thresholds then the guard will not notice anything.

If you want then you can also resolve it with two perception tests.

Guard roll Perception + Intuition against invis threshold
If the guard beat the threshold of invis then the adept is seen and combat will start.
Guard roll Perception + Intuition against stealth threshold
If the guard does not beat any thresholds then the guard will not notice anything.

Again, same outcome.
« Last Edit: <01-19-21/0426:06> by Xenon »

Odsh

• Chummer
« Reply #42 on: <01-19-21/1149:57> »
Converting "the PC is seen" to "the guard gets suspicious" is an elegant way to circumvent the issue in this case.
You will likely need an additional test to determine if his suspicions become certainties though. So I'm not sure you roll less dice in the end.

What if you replace Invisibility by a Silence spell and the guard succeeds against the Stealth test, but fails against the spell? In other words, the guard spots the PC that is trying to hide, but doesn't hear him. Does he get suspicious, or does he raise the alarm?
I find the first possibility much less likely than in your example.
And for the second possibility, the problem is that the unresisted Silence spell is of no help at all.

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #43 on: <01-19-21/1216:34> »
Sure, you can probably resolve it as two separate perception tests (but why)

Because, again, Edge.

I'll try one more time, putting it another way:

You can potentially gain 2 edge on any given action. In the case of Stealth, that's 1 from gear and 1 from circumstances.  And when I say "you", I mean both parties.  When a ninja tries to sneak past a guard, that's potentially 2 edge to the ninja AND/OR 2 edge to the guard.   Yeah it's laborious to roll more than one perception test per guard interaction.  Hell, you might even adapt the grunt group rules to account for sneaking past numerous guards as one roll.  But, I'm sure you'll agree here, Edge is mechanically a big deal.  IMO you can't (or at least shouldn't) pave over the steps where Edge could be generated for either party in the name of expedience.

You wouldn't skip the AR vs DR evaluation during an attack for sake of expediency, would you?  It's a co-equal leg in the edge triumvirate as evaluating whether contextual circumstances warrant edge for the attack or defense.  There's no AR vs DR in sneaking... but considering factors like lighting, guards' sensory enhancements, presence or absence of bottlenecks, availability of cover, degree of ambient noise, and any number of other factors that SHOULD be considered for edge for the ninja or for the guard.

One more argument against making one pre-rolled stealth test that establishes a threshold for observers to spot:
You can only gain at most 2 edge for your sneak.  OTOH, if you roll stealth for each guard you must bypass, that's a potential 2 edge per guard.  That's potentially a huge difference by the end of the sneak if you were able to hang on to them for what comes after the sneak.
« Last Edit: <01-19-21/1219:06> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »

Odsh

• Chummer
« Reply #44 on: <01-19-21/1317:40> »
Sorry I'm not adding anything constructive to the discussion with this, but now I can't help but imagine a PC taking unnecessary risks by voluntarily passing by additional guards just to get a chance to generate more Edge  ;D