NEWS

Lets talk WAR!

• 291 Replies

Otakusensei

• Newb
« Reply #210 on: <12-23-10/2132:13> »
Given that the next book scheduled is MilSpec equipment (because a warfare sourcebook would have been the wrong place for that)
MillSpec Tech isn't a full sourcebook, it's PDF suplement for WAR, containing all the gear they couldn't fit into WAR.
Most likely similiar in size and cost to Digital grimoire and This Old Drone.

The gear section of War! had some nice stuff, even if most of it needed a bit longer to cook.  It's a bit short as well, given how much page space was spent on Bogota.  I certainly hope this isn't like video game makers that hold something back from a $60 game so they can hit you with a $15 DLC pack a month later.  Granted the prices here are most likely lower, but it still seems like double dipping.

hobgoblin

• Omae
  • Panda!
« Reply #211 on: <12-23-10/2227:49> »
well location and setting have always sold worse then "bling". But at the same time there would be a vocal reaction of they only pushed gear books.
Want to see my flash new jacket?

blorgh

• Newb
« Reply #212 on: <12-24-10/0616:10> »
I certainly hope this isn't like video game makers that hold something back from a $60 game so they can hit you with a $15 DLC pack a month later.
No, of course not. That's totally different.

It's not like IMR is currently a bit tight on, well, everything. And just ignore this silly publisher Pegasus, integrating Digital Grimoire into the german release of Street Magic. ::)

Grinder

• Newb
« Reply #213 on: <12-24-10/0717:58> »
And just ignore this silly publisher Pegasus, integrating Digital Grimoire into the german release of Street Magic. ::)

What's wrong with that?

Cochise

• Newb
« Reply #214 on: <12-24-10/0800:38> »
What's wrong with that?

Irony and sarcasm without tags obviously doesn't transfer too well ...

Otakusensei

• Newb
« Reply #215 on: <12-24-10/1146:06> »
I certainly hope this isn't like video game makers that hold something back from a $60 game so they can hit you with a $15 DLC pack a month later.
No, of course not. That's totally different.

It's not like IMR is currently a bit tight on, well, everything. And just ignore this silly publisher Pegasus, integrating Digital Grimoire into the german release of Street Magic. ::)

That is a fantastic idea.

I didn't have as much of a problem with Digital Grimoire.  It came out late enough that it really seemed like material that was cut for time or needed more work and was put out later.  It also had some really interesting stuff in it.

Milspec Gear scares me because it's coming so close on the heels of War! and it's anemic gear section.  Of course I'm comparing War! to Fields of Fire, and I understand that those are very different products.

wraith

• Chummer
  • just another ghost in the machine
« Reply #216 on: <12-24-10/1321:59> »
I Now, if you're demanding better editing on typos and such, I can't say anything about it since I haven't gone through the book with a fine toothed comb (yet). But I consider a PDF purchase to be a "last Beta" from the team to pick up on stuff like this. The print street-date hasn't been announced yet (or it may have been, I've been checking in from my phone while taking breaks packing and moving and may have missed it), so there's plenty of time for us, the fans, to post errata so they can get it fixed before going to print, AND also update the PDF so you can get your corrected PDF free update notice from DriveThruRPG and BattleCorps.

Call me crazy, but $18 seems like a hefty toll to beta-test a product that seems to have somehow made it to publication without encountering a spellcheck.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #217 on: <12-24-10/1741:25> »
I Now, if you're demanding better editing on typos and such, I can't say anything about it since I haven't gone through the book with a fine toothed comb (yet). But I consider a PDF purchase to be a "last Beta" from the team to pick up on stuff like this. The print street-date hasn't been announced yet (or it may have been, I've been checking in from my phone while taking breaks packing and moving and may have missed it), so there's plenty of time for us, the fans, to post errata so they can get it fixed before going to print, AND also update the PDF so you can get your corrected PDF free update notice from DriveThruRPG and BattleCorps.

Call me crazy, but $18 seems like a hefty toll to beta-test a product that seems to have somehow made it to publication without encountering a spellcheck.
Well, considering that at some point, they re-release the PDF with the corrections, then it's not really.

Cochise

• Newb
« Reply #218 on: <12-24-10/1828:13> »
Well, considering that at some point, they re-release the PDF with the corrections, then it's not really.

It might be just me, but I didn't get too many updates on my PDFs ...

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #219 on: <12-24-10/1932:41> »

I've gotten updates on all the PDFs I purchased through DriveThruRPG, BattleCorps and Paizo when the original files have been updated from errata and such.

Otakusensei

• Newb
« Reply #220 on: <12-24-10/2023:55> »

I've gotten updates on all the PDFs I purchased through DriveThruRPG, BattleCorps and Paizo when the original files have been updated from errata and such.

I still recall a time when most of the typos in CGL product were caught before the PDF was available.  I think we called it 2009.  Books weren't perfect, but they weren't War!

It's pretty common place for video game companies to ship a game in late beta and expect people to sit and wait for the patches, or make their own, when they run into trouble.  It's accepted, but it's sloppy.  And it should not be replicated in book publishing.  If you're going to put up a beta, then do what Minecraft is doing.  Put up a workable beta, charge a small amount, like half price.  Anyone who wants to can buy in early and gets the future updates for free.  Once the product is finished it goes up for the finished price.

I appreciate the fact that PDFs get updated, but it shouldn't be abused to put out unfinished product early.

LFG

• Newb
« Reply #221 on: <12-24-10/2026:35> »
I'm curious to hear from those who have been around shadowrun long enough to be familiar with "Fields of Fire". So far from what I've seen on forums "War" seems to be a different kind of book.  As "Fields of Fire" is one of my all time favorites I'm really curious as to how others think "War" compares.  Thoughts?

Otakusensei

• Newb
« Reply #222 on: <12-24-10/2049:54> »
I'm curious to hear from those who have been around shadowrun long enough to be familiar with "Fields of Fire". So far from what I've seen on forums "War" seems to be a different kind of book.  As "Fields of Fire" is one of my all time favorites I'm really curious as to how others think "War" compares.  Thoughts?

Two totally separate products.  War! is more like Feral Cities or Runner's Havens crossed with Emergence, a close look at a major location during a plot event and then some general information on a some other locations.  There's also a gear section, but that takes up 27 of 184 pages.  There's 110 pages on Bogota and the war as it applies to Bogota.  So if you're a fan, the book might be up your ally.  Bring your own map though.

LFG

• Newb
« Reply #223 on: <12-24-10/2109:42> »
Much appreciated.  Been taking a closer look at the SWA so might be able to do something with maps from that.  Though with such a small price difference between the PDF and print I plan to wait.

Two totally separate products.  War! is more like Feral Cities or Runner's Havens crossed with Emergence, a close look at a major location during a plot event and then some general information on a some other locations.  There's also a gear section, but that takes up 27 of 184 pages.  There's 110 pages on Bogota and the war as it applies to Bogota.  So if you're a fan, the book might be up your ally.  Bring your own map though.

Otakusensei

• Newb
« Reply #224 on: <12-24-10/2219:57> »
Much appreciated.  Been taking a closer look at the SWA so might be able to do something with maps from that.  Though with such a small price difference between the PDF and print I plan to wait.

There are some maps, floating around from a German forum.  I saw them in one of these threads:

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=33712
http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=51136

I'm having a search-fu failure tonight, but I would start with the DS thread.  The one at the Den is a bit long in the tooth, but worth skimming through if you're curious.