NEWS

Lets talk WAR!

• 291 Replies

kanislatrans

• Newb
« Reply #150 on: <12-21-10/1534:59> »
I once joked that we had banned everything that someone had a problem with from our weekly shadowrun game....we were left role-playing a group of guys who gather up carts in a Kong-Walmart parking lot.... ;D
As night descends upon the city
The streets are cold, the lights go by
And in the stories of the people
A million faces, a million lies
They'll never say they feel what you feel
That they can see the world you see
And in their faces, their expressions
A million faces, a million lies... VNV "Chrome"

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #151 on: <12-21-10/1642:55> »
I once joked that we had banned everything that someone had a problem with from our weekly shadowrun game....we were left role-playing a group of guys who gather up carts in a Kong-Walmart parking lot.... ;D
Ugh, what a stupid game!   ::)  Everyone knows they have drones to do that for them!  Why would they waste nuyen paying real people to go do that?  Your whole campaign clashes with canon at every level, you're playing Shadowrun wrong, blah blah blah all the usual rants.   >:(

;D

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #152 on: <12-21-10/1649:54> »
Who wrote Arbeit macht frei(other than David Hill Jr.)?  Who's voice is this?  You can't have in character writing without a character, and if it isn't in character the section is poorly written.  It stands as a shining example of the writers and the developer not knowing what they are doing, and not caring about Shadowrun.
Work Brings Freedom is NOT an in-character piece. It is written as an proposed adventure idea that a GM may use for his players.

I did notice before that someone commented on some of the Native American depictions in Shadowrun. If you want you're game to be completely politically correct on all fronts, then go ahead and play that way. You can ignore these four paragraphs in the book and still have a lot of fun with the book. I applaud the design team for working with a subject that many would not touch because of the very nature of the subject. I, for one, would handle an adventure like this very delicately because I genuinely feel for the victims of the camps, just as I feel for the Native Americans and what they went through.

To give you an idea of a touchy subject, one of my former players would get incredibly upset whenever we discussed anything to do with the Titanic sinking. And he wants to kill James Cameron for making his movie. In his case, his (great-?)grandfather died when the ship sank and it was a very personal loss to the family and a very solemn event. To see a movie make a bajillion dollars off something that his family takes very seriously is a big hardship.

And now, a list of events that, if we ban discussion of the Nazi camps, we have to also ban:

Native American genocide and relocation to reservations
Japanese-American concentration camps
"Rape Squads" that have been prominent in Eastern Europe, Africa, Mexico, Latin & South America
Slavery (past AND present)
Australian Aboriginal mistreatment
South African Apartheid
Swiss bank "neutrality" and holding Nazi gold/art/etc. stolen from Jews
The treatment of Catholics by Roman Pantheists

ugh... I could go on, but it's stuff that just pisses people off. Seriously guys, I'd rather they have the guts to say that "this could happen" in the Sixth World, rather than take a politically-correct view and ignore it.

Darkeus

• Newb
« Reply #153 on: <12-21-10/1716:04> »
Oh yeah, let the hate flow....   :P

I see some people still have a dislike of anything from Catalyst these days.

Haven't read the book yet (though I do have the pdf) but seems to be a bit of whining and proprietary gnashing of teeth going on....

Or Much Ado About Nothing.  I will hold final judgment until after I give it a good look over.     ;D
That's the way it seems to go with everything.  I mean, cripes.  Some people are just never happy.  As the old saying goes, "You can't please everybody.  And if you can you are clearly a sorcerer and must be burned at the stake."  Or something like that.

Yeah, quite ridiculous. 

Well, there is also a section of ex-freelancers and players who have decided that Catalyst is the devil and must be challenged at all times.  This comes from a thought that they are destroying everything Shadowrun.  As true as that may or may not be, some of the opposition are ex-freelancers.

Take that as you will.  I guess I am saying, quite a bit of bias in those post.
I thought what I'd do is; I would pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #154 on: <12-21-10/1743:05> »
Yeah, quite ridiculous. 

Well, there is also a section of ex-freelancers and players who have decided that Catalyst is the devil and must be challenged at all times.  This comes from a thought that they are destroying everything Shadowrun.  As true as that may or may not be, some of the opposition are ex-freelancers.

Take that as you will.  I guess I am saying, quite a bit of bias in those post.
Oh no doubt.  It's the same with everything.  People get let go, they get bitter.  Others just don't like the changes.  And some are just jerks.  And of course there are those with legitimate criticisms who are polite and try to be constructive, but they tend to get drowned out by the others.

Sengir

• Omae
« Reply #155 on: <12-21-10/1806:07> »
Haven't read the book yet
So without reading a single word of the book, you have decided that people complaining about it are having a preconceived notion. Riiiiight...

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #156 on: <12-21-10/1813:15> »
So without reading a single word of the book, you have decided that people complaining about it are having a preconceived notion. Riiiiight...
He did say he has the PDF.  Or did you miss that part?

Darkeus

• Newb
« Reply #157 on: <12-21-10/1816:20> »
He did say he has the PDF.  Or did you miss that part?

See, they don't read whole post either...  :)

He also missed the part about holding judgment until reading my pdf that I own that I will be reading completely.

But I do see some more whining... ::)

Edit: And no, I am talking about the people that were going to bash War! even if it was the greatest Shadowrun sourcebook ever made.  Like you....
« Last Edit: <12-21-10/1818:13> by Darkeus »

Sengir

• Omae
« Reply #158 on: <12-21-10/1825:11> »
He did say he has the PDF.  Or did you miss that part?
Sorry to tell you, but owning a book does not equate reading it.

Darkeus

• Newb
« Reply #159 on: <12-21-10/1826:29> »
No, it usually means in process of.   Give it a break.

Wow, really...  Really?

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #160 on: <12-21-10/1827:31> »
[q
Sorry to tell you, but owning a book does not equate reading it.
Really?  Thank you for that.  Now I know.

Sengir

• Omae
« Reply #161 on: <12-21-10/1830:22> »

Wow, really...  Really?
I realize you'd really like retconn to that statement now, but "Haven't read" means "Haven't read", no matter how you twist and turn it.

So next time you try to discuss something, please don't take your point apart all by yourself. Leave some fun for the others.

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #162 on: <12-21-10/1835:27> »
Sorry to tell you, but reading a PDF does not equate reading the book.   ;)

Darkeus

• Newb
« Reply #163 on: <12-21-10/1837:20> »

Wow, really...  Really?
I realize you'd really like retconn to that statement now, but "Haven't read" means "Haven't read", no matter how you twist and turn it.

So next time you try to discuss something, please don't take your point apart all by yourself. Leave some fun for the others.

*sigh*

Oh God, this may be hopeless.  

When I wrote said post you obviously read whatever way you wanted to see it, I had pretty much just bought the damn pdf and was browsing around seeing what people said.

Then I noticed that certain people were bashing the book, people who are still a bit bitter about how things went down.  Since I had just bought the pdf of course I had not read it yet.  I did not think it was required to inform everybody of the details of my buying habits and pdf reading schedule.  No where in the post did I say I have had the pdf and it was just sitting there.  But, this is what you want to see so of course it isn't correct, it is an assumption.

You know what they say about people who assume.  Ass and u are part of that saying.  

So, As I have been reading said pdf since making said post, I can truly say....

Stop with the bitchy little whining!  It is unbecoming....

Darkeus

• Newb
« Reply #164 on: <12-21-10/1838:00> »
Sorry to tell you, but reading a PDF does not equate reading the book.   ;)

Yeah, because you know.  It doesn't have paper pages....  Lol..

Amazing, really it is...