NEWS

[SR5] PBP recruitment for Chicago Prime Runner+ team (6 of 6)

• 386 Replies

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #15 on: <08-15-14/1733:31> »
Where ware is concerned, your options are somewhat limited due to cash flow issues, but there are several "must haves" in my opinion
Implanted Comm and Smartlink; if I was a military leader in the future, these relatively low cost items would ensure my operatives would be able to communicate better and shoot straighter, both of which are invaluable in a soldier.

the smartlink, i get. But the implanted commlink? I guess i just dont understand the benefit to implanted commlink over datajack allowing you to wirelesly connect to the commlink anyways. They both give DNI, right? it seems like a LOT of risk, i guess i just dont understand the benfit.
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #16 on: <08-15-14/1735:36> »
Ah, good question.

Leave aside lifestyle for now; there's not going to be any luxury or even high lifestyles available to a team of mercs in the in or around Chicago, so I may let you all come up with something or I may design something for you based on the merc company you all may end up working for.

I haven't quite decided if you'll be attached to a bigger organization yet or be freelancers, so any thoughts you all have on this would be appreciated. There'll be pro's and con's with both, of course.

well, if we're going with renblack as the team leader (hope we are) then i think it'd be cool if this were a merc group, founded by him with my money.
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #17 on: <08-15-14/1759:32> »
@Martin, thank you, sir. Also, I appreciate waiting until team is composed to build. I may have some questions for the team as I work the kinks out.

@Poindexter, that could be fun, especially since August has never had 2 Nguyen to rub together. Now to come up with a name. . .
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Triskavanski

• Ace Runner
« Reply #18 on: <08-15-14/1856:15> »
rednblack
Awesome concept, man! I love it.

Poindexter
I'll have to review the beta and delta grades to make sure, as I believe the availability bumps those grades apply might put some of the higher end stuff out of reach, but tentatively I'm drawn to say that any grade goes.

Triskavanski
The reasoning behind that was that anything that affects direct combat (elemental DV, essentially) would have to be placed on the outer layer of armor, like a greatcoat worn over a jumpsuit. I decided the chemical mods and thermal dampers should be allowed to be worn underneath, as those can be hard to achieve otherwise.

Now, I haven't actually revised that rule after run & Gun was released, so I'll need to do that, but as of right now it stands as is.

Koshnek
Cool as cool, post up your concept. Like I said, no first come first serve, and we might have room for more than one direct combatant.

Also, feel free to come up with suggestions for a name of the outfit; you're not military, so anything goes. Keep it at least somewhat clean, though :-)

Ah alright, cause I'm mostly thinking of armor stacks like the london stuff, Not the other thing where you take a lined coat and put it over another lined coat or something like that.

Now with shooter and such, is the combat role allowed to be filled with a magic character or is only the magic slot allowed to be filled by the magic guy?

Because I'm thinking of an (mystic) adept MMA or something type fighter right now. Possibly mystic adept, and uses mostly touch and barrier spells.
Concepts are great, but implementation sucks. Why not improve it?

Triskavanski's House Rules

martinchaen

« Reply #19 on: <08-15-14/2009:51> »
I'll put it this way, Trisk; you're free to propose a mystic adept for the direct combatant role, but keep in mind:

1. This is Chicago, where a background count of 2 is par for the course. Pretty much anything a Mystic Adept does is likely to involve magic, and so would suffer dice pool penalties.

2. The special considerations for the DC is gear with Availability up to 20; you'd potentially miss out on some sweet gear.

Everyone, since Noise, like Background Count, is almost everpresent in the Containment Zone, where most of the story will take place, consider the following:

1. High rating commlinks will be a necessity

2. Data Jacks reduce Noise

3. I'll likely introduce a house rule that allows you to buy Alpha, Beta, and Deltaware versions of gear, which will serve to raise the equipments functional device rating for the same price increases as for 'ware. I'm working on the details right now.

Ren

• Ace Runner
« Reply #20 on: <08-15-14/2027:09> »
I'm definitely interested in the game. I will post something in the weekend. I will probably be interested in Direct Combat or Support Mage role.
"Speech", Matrix, >>Text<<, Thoughts, Astral
Bulldog
Stake

martinchaen

« Reply #21 on: <08-15-14/2044:23> »
Cool as cool, Ren. I'll keep the thread up for a while until people have had time to digest the information and post concepts, but I'm hoping to have recruiting done by end of next week, with game start soon after.

Ravensoracle

• Omae
« Reply #22 on: <08-15-14/2058:40> »
I have an idea for a Rigger/ Fire Support character. Is it a definite that all Matrix needs to be handled by one guy? I'll have to think on it a bit but I think I can do it.
Speech
Thoughts
Comm/Text
Subvocal

martinchaen

« Reply #23 on: <08-15-14/2132:16> »
Ravensoracle
I'd say yes, the rigger will also need to be the Decker in this particular game. There's not going to be a lot of hacking involved, I'll be fairly up front about that, because you'll be playing as a team of mercenaries in a hotzone of Noise and old computer tech, not shadowrunners going after paydata for the corps.

Keep in mind the revised rigger rules, and feel free to ask questions in the topic linked in the main post.

Triskavanski

• Ace Runner
« Reply #24 on: <08-15-14/2155:18> »
For Chicago what is the background count aspected by?

Koshnek

• Omae
« Reply #25 on: <08-15-14/2222:43> »
So I don't know much about Chicago. Is there actual normal civilization going on, or is it all guns n bugs? I guess I should have googled first. Seems like there's civilzation, but its pretty rough. I think my story will work :-).

I had a couple quick questions. For the fifty karma, are you saying that we can use it before the game starts but after chargen? Buying a positive quality for example would cost twice as much with the 50 karma, but you would have that quality for the first mission?

Second, how are we handling SIN's? Do we need to get good fake ones, or are our actions sanctioned (if we don't get buck wild)? Just curious!

I haven't done this many times, but I took a different approach than I have before. i hope you don't mind, but I liked it :-).

Alias: Chuck, Tex
Name: Charles Ray Mitchell
Metatype: Human
Desired Role: Direct Combat/Medic
Short Background (two paragraphs): "I've seen some drek, boy. I don't know if I'm lucky to be here, or if I'm just that good...I guess it don't matter none." Chuck fell silent as he pulled a drag on his cigar. "I been mercin since I was knee high to a grasshopper's hoop. I reckon ya don't pull through this many op's if ya ain't at least a bit good." He paused and looked at the boy standing in front of him with eyes to give the cutest pup a run for its money. "But it ain't all glam, kid. Frag the trids. It's dirty, and I done more drek than I seen. Its a paycheck to me now. Look into my cold eyes, kid. That'll be you one day if ya sign up. That's if you're good..or lucky. Ya might just end up bug chow."

"It ain't all bad I suppose. I done and I seen some drek, but this makes it all worth it." Chuck took one more drag from his cigar and flicked it at the kids feet. "All these years and I finally get to do some real good, boy. This outfit I'm in now ain't half bad..got some soul to it. Now we're here blastin bugs 'n helpin humanity. You make it as long as me, ya just might get to do some good." He stood up and rummaged through his pack, shuffling things around before pulling out a well worn Predator and handing it to the boy. "You're what, 15, 16, boy? I was younger 'n you when my father gave me my first gun. I started out just some backwoods kid outta Texas, and now I splat bugs in Chicago. Ya get good enough with that gun to hit 5 out of 6 shots from 40 meters you give this guy a call." He scribbled contact info on a napkin and handed it to the kid. "I got folks to meet up with now, boy." Chuck stepped away from his seat and shook the boys hand before walking away from dirty little soy taco van. "Good luck, chummer."

Short Physical Description (one to two paragraphs):
Chuck's well built for an older guy. A trained eye might notice he's a little too well built. His head is always kept  buzzed down, and some days his face is clean shaven, but most days the scruff shows that he can't be bothered. His eyes lack the spark you're accustomed to seeing in others, but his face is otherwise ordinary. He has no scars, and all the other bits are remarkably intact for a veteran like him. His laughter booms on the rare occasions when its drawn out. He has a deep, gruff voice with a Texas accent.

Charles "Chuck" Mitchell
« Last Edit: <08-20-14/1521:10> by Koshnek »
Speech
Thoughts
Comm/Text
Voice chat & Subvocal

martinchaen

« Reply #26 on: <08-15-14/2253:42> »
Triskavanski
The background count in Chicago would be selected towards violence and death, and not a specific tradition.

Koshnek
Awesome write-up, I really like the tone of the character. Living in Texas myself, I feel like Chuck is someone I could have met on the street somewhere :-)

Most of the information I have on Chicago where Shadowrun is concerned comes from two books: Bug City, and the section on Chicago from Feral Cities. I'll see if I can find some more sources, but I think those are the major ones anyway.

Triskavanski

• Ace Runner
« Reply #27 on: <08-15-14/2302:43> »
Awesome. That was actually what I was looking for right there, which was the reason I was going MA instead of Mage. Though I might just go Adept.

A lot of the reason I was going MA was to get the barriers and such. I know how to write up with this.

Ravensoracle

• Omae
« Reply #28 on: <08-15-14/2317:51> »
I'll need to play with the numbers to see if I can make this work. But basically my idea to get a Combat Rigger/Decker is that I am going to need Skills Priority A to have enough points for skills to go around. Then I'll have to play with numbers to see how to get a Control Rig, RCC and Deck that will work together for the best combo with the leaner resources of a lower priority.

I just have one question at this point.

Can I slave a deck to a RCC so that both don't have to be drek hot gear?

The idea is the Character will get a better RCC for Firewall and Data Processing and get a medicore deck and use the higher attributes for Sleaze and Attack and the lower attributes will be put into Firewall and DP letting the RCC take that load.
Speech
Thoughts
Comm/Text
Subvocal

martinchaen

« Reply #29 on: <08-15-14/2341:05> »
Fair enough, Trisk, just keep in mind that Mystic Adepts still need a tradition like Magicians, and suffer dice pool penalties just like adepts AND magicians.

In other words, the CZ is not going to be a friendly place for a mystic adept. I'll also note that ranged weapons will likely be the name of the game in this instance. Call it a personal preference given my military background and the story I'll be trying to tell.

Ravensoracle
Two things to keep in mind:
1. You'll probabbly not need a high end deck for what ha king you will need to do, and agent programs can assist and/or perform some of the needed tasks
2. You get 5 karma to use post-character generation, as if you'd have gained karma from regular gameplay.

Yes, you can slave your RCC to your deck, but you can only have a persona on one of them. I'd strongly suggest looking at agent programs.

Also note the increased resources. Priority B for resources means 750k nuyen... I'm sure you can figure something out, especially seeing as how you've got over 2.5 million nuyen worth of gear for free :-D