NEWS

"Attune Item" adept ritual and its possibilities

• 3 Replies

Lock

• Newb
« on: <05-14-16/1954:55> »
  So, I know this ritual is generally intended to make Adepts even more awesome with their given medium (weapons for combat, instruments for performance, etc.)

A friend of mine came up with the idea of "Attuning" a headware commlink for his Adept and using his Initiate grade to up the Firewall limit, basically.  Aside from the Object Resistance making this exceptionally difficult, is it possible?  Would the check to "familiarize" himself with it be Hardware or Cybertechnology?  If the headware 'link doesn't work, what about other cyberware pre-installation?  Could one attune a pair of cybereyes to increase the mental limit for perception tests? A cyber-spur (or other cyber-inplant weapon) for increased accuracy?  Is this cybermancy folks just never considered before or is there a reason it has never shown up?

The idea didn't really scan for me, though I could not say specifically why aside from "A firewall that high seems too powerful".  I look forward to getting your opinions though.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #1 on: <05-14-16/2006:31> »
Right off the cuff I am going to say "NO".

And while, I can not point to any one rule or quote from the books, I will direct you to the overall traditions of magic in the SR universe.

The first and biggest thing is that "Magic and technology" DO NOT MIX!

Like as in almost never. Yes, there are some very simple manatech devices, such as the glo-wand, or the silver camera, these are very crude and simplistic devices by modern technological standards. The Glo-wand is essentially awakened mana reactive moss on a stick (OOH! HIGH TECH!!), and the Silverlight camera harkens back to photography of the 1890s for it's effects. (you know, ACTUAL use of silver nitrate, and not complex chemical solutions). Even something as simple as a basic firearm (a directed explosive device) can not handle mana ranged attacks.

And trust me, Companies have spent BILLIONS on magical guns (almost bankrupted Ares, a top Megacorp!! And if they couldn't get it to work with a teamwork task mounting in the hundreds of scientists and engineers, and mages... Joe Shadowrunner ain't doing it in his basement :P )

He is treading on the types of things Technomancers should be able to do (but the are FUBAR atm so....) and not the realm of magic.

But, it IS your game.... you are free to do as you wish.... but by canon, this is way, way, waaay of the well trod road.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <05-15-16/0059:51> »
No, because:
"Increase the relevant limit of the item by the initiate grade of the adept using it. The skill used with the item must be an active skill relating to a physical attribute. The attuned item’s limit increase can stack with the adept’s Enhanced Accuracy power.
Attunement provides no bonus when the item is controlled through an electronic interface (digital, VR, AR, or DNI), nor does it work on the complex magical auras of foci, prepared vessels, or enchanted items." p.124 SG

Also, the ritual only provides a limit increase. That is distinctly different from a matrix attribute increase.

Attunement is great for weapons with very low Accuracy - e.g. a shotgun with shortened barrel and stock. 
« Last Edit: <05-15-16/0101:50> by Jack_Spade »
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Lock

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <05-16-16/2001:36> »
  I missed this my first read through, but given that "does it work on the complex magical auras of foci, prepared vessels, or enchanted items." line, does that mean one cannot attune weapon foci? Surprising and a bit disappointing.