NEWS

[6] Exploding Dice Question

• 7 Replies

Shadowjack

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« on: <11-12-19/0330:39> »
For the price of four edge you can "Add your edge" to your dice pool for one roll. My question is, is this your edge rank or current edge? I could really see it being either one but assume it is supposed to be your edge rank.
Show me your wallet and I'll show you a man with 20 fingers.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1 on: <11-12-19/0408:31> »
It feels like it should be rank. Beginner Box says 'base Edge', that backs that up.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Shadowjack

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <11-12-19/0455:11> »
Thanks, that's what I was leaning toward. While we're here, I have another question. So the rules state that you can go through character creation in any order, so does that mean you can buy qualities first, take aptitude or exceptional attribute, and raise them with attribute or metatype adjustment points? I feel like this could be an oversight but I'm not sure.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #3 on: <11-12-19/0517:48> »
While a GM will likely stick to order as far as consequences and points vs karma are concerned (also essence loss), that part should likely indeed be read as 'it's fine if you're essentially making something legal with a later quality expense'.

Shadowjack

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <11-12-19/0534:36> »
I think so too although it's quite a big value considering during play if you want to buy aptitude and increase a troll's body to 9 you'd have ot pay 57 karma.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <11-12-19/1206:49> »
Wait.... are we really arguing that we get to raise an attribute from 1 to 2 by spending 10 customization karma and then spend attribute and/or adjustment points to raise the attribute from 2??

As I read it you must first spend your original (attribute-, adjustment- and skill-) points before you spend your customization karma:

SR6 p. 66 Step Four: Spend Customization Karma
After the original points are spent, it’s time to think about a little development.

...considering during play if you want to buy aptitude and increase a troll's body to 9 you'd have ot pay 57 karma.
Buying the Aptitude Positive Quality and raise your Body attribute from 8 to 9 would actually be 69 Karma.
Code: [Select]
12x2 + 9x5 = 69
SR6 p. 69 Qualities
Purchasing a positive quality requires spending twice the normal Karma cost.

(also, with an Aptitude Body Positive Quality a Troll would have a metatype maximum Body rating of 10, not 9).
« Last Edit: <11-12-19/1208:54> by Xenon »

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #6 on: <11-12-19/1247:14> »
Wait.... are we really arguing that we get to raise an attribute from 1 to 2 by spending 10 customization karma and then spend attribute and/or adjustment points to raise the attribute from 2??
No we're not. The question was about using qualities to raise caps. There's only one person on this forum arguing chargen is 100% in any random order.

skalchemist

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <11-12-19/1256:15> »

As I read it you must first spend your original (attribute-, adjustment- and skill-) points before you spend your customization karma:
I didn't take the comments to mean that.  I just took it that the final character has to be legal when all is said and done, even if technically in a step by step fashion they might have violated the rules.

An obvious example (and one that came up in our game) is the Exceptional Attribute which raises the max value of an attribute.  If you did things strictly by the order of steps you would have to pay Karma to raise that attribute to its max value.  But in our game we ruled that all that matters is the final character is legal, so you could spend attribute points to get to that max value that you were raising with the quality.