NEWS

Radar sense and mages

• 154 Replies

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #150 on: <04-14-12/0428:50> »
In fact...as I feel it as a GM in lot of situation (i.e. Influence spells:)

.... Game balance takes a back seat when magic .... 

you dont need to say anything more than this

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #151 on: <04-14-12/0938:37> »
As I've said, for me what sense are appropriate for magic is based, not on physics or biology, but the "immediacy" of the sensory data.

Thermographic, low-light, etc are enhanced versions of direct sensory data.

Radar, Ultrasound, and the like aren't showing you the actual scene. They're showing you a computer generated simulated recreation of the scene.

I feel this removes the information too much from the "real" to provide a link for the magical energies to be usable for targeting.

-k

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #152 on: <04-14-12/1100:07> »
Radar, Ultrasound, and the like aren't showing you the actual scene. They're showing you a computer generated simulated recreation of the scene.
From the way Radar vision has been described to me, it is the ability to see into the Far Infrared range of the spectrum.  But it does not display things like on a radar screen.  It displays things more like the "x-ray machines" at the airports.  Note also that, as described to me, it isn't actually in the Radar range of the spectrum.

Another key thing is that this needs to be built into cyber eyes and not like a shoulder mounted camera with a vid link in order for sorcery to work. 

If the Radar sense you are using is implemented like in Aliens, then it definitely isn't sorcery compliant.  If it works like the TSA full body scans, then yes is is sorcery compliant.

Not Sorcery compliant ^

Sorcery compliant ^

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #153 on: <04-14-12/1135:13> »
In fact...as I feel it as a GM in lot of situation (i.e. Influence spells:)

.... Game balance takes a back seat when magic .... 

you dont need to say anything more than this

True as the rules are currently implemented magic curb stomps balance, but I don't feel the need to double down on the insanity.  I am not a balance fanatic I think that wrecks games like 4e d&d.  On the other hand obvious loopholes and balance issues should be addressed in future editions, errata etc.  I'd love it if the 2050 supplement they take that as an opportunity to throw in a bunch of optional rules that tone down magic, not that SR1 was balanced in that regard. Just that they kind of have an opportunity to make some changes as sort of a test for SR5 whenever that comes out. 

Radar sense is one of those areas where I'd very very leary of letting it in as a sense for mages on a a balance level, ways around LOS one of the few mage limits does not sit well with me.  It also does not to fit thematically for how it is described(or how I interpret the description), even as cyber to me it seems to be more like a projection or overlay on the eyes.  Using citizen joes illustrations I'd say it may look like the lower picture, but it is a image over layed onto your field of vision like a hud, and not seen directly. 

Blue_Lion

• Omae
« Reply #154 on: <04-14-12/1623:29> »
But a mage casting threw a network of fibor optics network? The only thing using this to cast threw a wall is saving the mage is drilling, or shooting a whole in the wall and running a fibor optic cable threw the wall for his mage sight googles.

As to it not beeing direct sensory data, is any sensory data threw a cyber eye not processed.  To me it seams the limited factor is bias on what sight is or direct.