NEWS

[6E] errata released.

• 159 Replies

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« on: <08-01-19/1240:07> »
https://www.shadowrunsixthworld.com/wp-content/uploads/SR6-Core-Rulebook-Errata-Aug-2019.pdf   So the errata for the 6e crb is out. Now yes it has errors itself but they rushed it for gencon. But the errata does give us a glimpse of some of the rules. I figure this is a good place to talk about it until the full book is out for us to see.

1 firing from cover takes a extra minor action so a major and minor. You can use edge to not use that minor. I’m not a fan of this for lower levels of cover at least. Staying in 1/4 cover isn’t something that should require an extra actions. On of my concerns is I felt the game would be nickel and diming you
of minor actions which creates a less dynamic fight.

2. Small issue, but they kept the attribute and skill enhancement table. You framing just don’t need to know the costs to increase from 0 to 8. 7 to 8 is useful even if it’s crazy easy math. But this table confuses players of mine who thought to go from 7 to 8 cost like 140 karma or something.

3. Movement power still multiplies/divided speed. How many editions have people been saying it’s broken and causes bizarre setting effects that are sort of ignored by the setting. A more moderate use of the power like it adding meters of movement would fit the setting better I think and be better balanced.

Edit  4. Falling damage doesn’t have a cap in the paragraph. Maybe it’s there a paragraph later or something. But I’d think once you hit terminal velocity it no longer increase. Anyone know roughly how many meters you have to fall for that to happen?  And would 1/2 that make sense as a damage scale anyways. Like is it 500dv at that point which is silly because that’s like a Nuke.

Edit to add in link to file. No idea why I forgot to initially.
« Last Edit: <08-01-19/1914:20> by Shinobi Killfist »

duckman

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <08-01-19/1258:53> »

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <08-01-19/1320:44> »
Hmm so for me the damage scales wrong though it probably works decently at the falling scales you normally bump into. Though maybe not. Falling 10 meters only does 5dv that’s around a 3 story fall which will likely kill you. So a bit low on one end, way to high on the other.

Falling damage in my experience is rare enough it’s not a big issue.

duckman

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <08-01-19/1413:28> »
I have not seen the new falling damage table but fall damage is wrong in just about every system ever invented.  This is for two reasons...  First, it is rapidly lethal unless you are hitting a specific surface (water or a stunt pillow) and second of all, until you hit terminal velocity it scales in a way that makes non-mathematicians uncomfortable.

In theory, damage should be based on velocity which is just 9.8 * t (meters per second if we're ignoring wind resistance which you want to do to avoid really ugly math).  The problem is nobody wants to worry about time.  All they want to know is how far the thing fell...  Here's where you get screwed and things get ugly for gaming...  The distance you have traveled is an integral which works out to 4.9 * t^2 meters.  But you wanted it in distance, right?  So now you have to do something wonky...  You have v(t) and you have d(t)....  You want v(d) (no std jokes, please) which involved inverting your distance formula so you have t(d) which allows you to get v(d) and that looks like 9.8 * sqrt (d / 4.9)...

With a little rounding, that's saying v = sqrt (20 * d) (where d is in meters)...  So your damage is dependent on a square root which is obnoxious.  Another interesting question which is mathematically as obnoxious is how long does it take the victim to go splat (also read, can you really get that spell off before you hit the ground) and the answer to that is roughly sqrt(d / 5) seconds (again where d is in meters)...  So it takes 10 seconds to fall about 500m  (add in wind resistance and it is really closer to 12 seconds so add a 20% fudge factor if it makes you really happy).  How long does that spell take to cast?

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <08-01-19/1432:34> »
I don’t expect it to match reality but I kind of want it to not have absurd outcomes.

Basically 2 things I’d like. A quasi accurate chart of how far you fall in a combat turn. Obviously how you fall changed things and 2 believable damage.

For 1 something basic like first combat turn fall x meters, 2nd y, 3rd and continuing z a turn.

For 2. I’d probably make the damage variable to some degree. But it seems off that a 10 meter fall is walked off fairly easily by pcs. Trolls might be super hero landing them.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <08-01-19/1717:59> »
Bone lacing/density damage is changed from. Set DV to unarmed damage+. Makes sense in that it would be weird to do less damage from bone lacing but it exaggerates the issue with melee weapons having a set damage. Now much quicker glorified brass knucks do more damage than swords/katanas/combat axes. It was always absurd matching swords but now it quickly surpasses them.

Moonshine Fox

• Omae
  • Proudly serving our dragon overlords
« Reply #6 on: <08-01-19/1748:27> »
Definitely some interesting tidbits in there. Looks like a chunk of the errata is clarification sentences and "oops that was 5th". I did notice that machine guns have a minimum strength requirement to use.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <08-01-19/1756:51> »
No edge when attacking from cover?  I have nothing positive to say about that.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <08-01-19/1821:42> »
Athletics is now a combat skill (and used for Archery, and presumable also crossbow and thrown weapons). It also seem to be connected to some defensive actions (as they talk about Full Defense and Dodge etc).

Exotic Weapons used for Grenade Launchers (and presumable also other "heavy weapons" such as Missile Launchers, Rocket Launchers and Auto Cannons?)

Missile rating act as a positive dice pool modifier (so dice pool modifiers are not totally gone).

Close Combat is not only used for Melee weapons and Unarmed Combat, it is also used for Shields.

Cover comes in 4 ratings (I = 25%, II = 50%, III = 75%, IV = 100%). Attacks from Cover cost an minor action (in addition to the Major action). Attacks from Cover does not grant edge (when attacking). Cover grant a positive dice pool modifier of 1 dice per level. Cover also grant +1 defensive rating per level. Attacks from Cover IV suffer a negative dice pool modifier of 2 dice.

Skills cost 5 Karma. Attributes cost 5 Karma

Trolls have Built Tough (2) [presumable +2 condition monitor boxes?]

Manipulation spells normally last Net Hits Minutes and affect one.half cubic meter nonliving material per Net Hit

Binding is gone

Alchemical focus act as a positive dice pool modifier to Enchanting skill tests

Aspected Magicians have both Astral Perception and Astral Projection

Grids are gone (at least game mechanic wise)

Technomancers can now use VR (cold-sim VR?) in addition to AR and hot-sim (hot-sim VR?)

Teamwork is still a Thing.

Physical damage is soaked by Body

Biofeedback damage is soaked by Willpower

Matrix Damage is soaked by Firewall

Spirits generate drain equal to Hits (not net hits) on it's defense test. Drain (no matter the source) is resisted by Tradition Attribute + Willpower. If final drain (no matter the source) after resist is higher than magic then drain deal physical damage

Sprites generate fade equal to Hits (not net hits) on it's defense test. Fade (no matter the source) is resisted by Willpower + Charisma. [does this also mean that if final fade (no matter the source) after resist is higher than resonance then fade deal physical damage?]

They still seem to make a distinction between Vehicles (that are not drones) and Drones

Minimum strength requirement is a game mechanic in SR6.

Medium Machine Gun have a strength requirement of 2+ with a gyromount [in SR5 it was 8 for MMG and 10 for HMG without gyro, due to lower metatype maximum strength values I think it will be 7 for MMG and 9 for HMG in SR6]

[Since strength does not affect attack rating nor damage value of melee weapons it is plausible that melee weapons will instead have a minimum strength requirement, perhaps 1 for knife, 3 for katana and 5 for claymore?]

Confirmed Edge actions:
- Shank
- Tactical Roll (for example can be used to avoid the Hit the Dirt penalty)
- Knockout Blow (Melee Attack). Cost 2 Edge.
- Trip
- Tumble
- Hog [Matrix] Reduce Data Processing by 2 and active program slots by 1 for attack rating rounds. Cost 2 Edge.

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #9 on: <08-01-19/2026:09> »
Well, that errata was a disappointment from my perspective. How unfortunate.
"TL:DR 6e's reduction of meaningful choices is akin to forcing everyone to wear training wheels. Now it's just becomes a bunch of toddlers riding around on tricycles they can't fall off of." - Adzling

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <08-01-19/2116:59> »

It is in no way the end of forthcoming errata for the 6we crb.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #11 on: <08-01-19/2133:34> »

Well it certainly makes my choices easy. I am sorry it's disappointing Lormyr, I was also hoping some other things to be addressed.

*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

denaekall

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: <08-01-19/2214:36> »
This was expected. My question is if these changes will be implemented in the pdf release, which is what I'm waiting for.

Speaking of, is there any word on when it will be released?

Typhus

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <08-01-19/2222:40> »
It is in no way the end of forthcoming errata for the 6we crb.

So there are actually more than 9 pages of errata (including 6 omitted tables)? 

Can CGL put the errata team on the editing side instead?

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #14 on: <08-01-19/2239:03> »
The 9 pages are the result of the efforts of the HotFix team. It is not the final errata.
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?