NEWS

SR5 Adept Power - Critical Strike

• 154 Replies

Mithlas

• Omae
« Reply #150 on: <01-04-14/2229:16> »
I could compare the Human to a Troll with Magic 2 and Cyberware and it would mean anything. The human you build was simple a Troll with Human Metatype it's not taking any strength of the human metatype so of course you will get a weaker build ...
I believe that you are moving the goal posts. While I can agree with the statement that a good character is not only one thing, this doesn't change the fact that with 5E, character builds are strongly inclined to play either the troll who hits hard or somebody else doing a different job because there is an imbalance to the cost/benefit ratio. In 4E's (1/2)*Strength DV the difference was much less because the troll may have started ahead in the strength field but it wasn't as much of a gap.

In order to match - remember, a good comparison is apples to apples, not apples to oranges - the capabilities, non-trolls have to sacrifice far more to be consistently effective in melee than a troll. You can point out that trolls are supposed to be inclined to punching things really hard, but that doesn't change the fact that this shouldn't result in a mechanical obstruction to players who are supposed to have the freedom to build their Jet Li clone without having to sacrifice almost everything else their character could do in order to get a single thing they're good at. Would the troll necessarily have the same initiative? No, but that's not a guarantee and it's also not the focal point of the issue here.

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #151 on: <01-05-14/0015:23> »
The goal posts (by which I mean the comparison Human builld) were in a bad place to begin with. If you're going to compare Troll A with a Human, it should either be Human C (same amount of special attribute points) or whatever Human priority gets you max Magic and either 6 or 7 Edge (in this case, Human A) - the strength of Human, after all, is that you can take it low and free up priority levels for stuff that makes you more versatile, or relatively easily go for high Edge to make you more versatile.
In the case of Jet Li clones, a Human could try something like EABCD (24 attribute points, Edge 3, Magic 6, 28/2 + 1 R4 skill, 50k), and get some Qi Foci (keep your costs below 50k, and compared to someone who spends 26k at E, that's only a loss of 2 karma if you bind Force 6 worth of Qi Foci): by combining Attribute Boost (Agility), Improved Ability (Unarmed Combat) and 1 or 2 levels of Increased Physical Attribute (Strength), they could increase both their base DV and their dice pool (more hits means more damage), while still having enough room for Improved Reflexes and some other powers.
Let's assume 6 Force worth of Qi Foci: that's 7.5 PP. 1.5 for Improved Ability 3, 0.5 for Attribute Boost, 2.5 for Improved Reflexes, 2 for Improved Physical Attribute, 1 for Critical Strike and Killing Hands (IIRC: no book available right now). With natural Strength 4/5 (because really, if your example is Jet Li, Strength 3 is an insult, and with 24 attribute points you can go 6/5/5/4/3/3/3/3), that's 7/8 base DV, and 5--6 bonus dice on the attack roll on average. All in all, you're still likely looking at 10-12 pre-soak damage, most likely.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #152 on: <01-05-14/1329:13> »
Also you can easily flip the troll to skills c hell you could flip the troll to b skills and he'd have the same number of attribute points as a attribute human just with more favorable unarmed attribute caps. I mean damn you had the human with 3 edge just to cram in some cheap focuses. Drop the focuses and get a 5 edge human and he'd be better after a run or two. Still inferior to the troll but meh.

I really don't agree here, by buying foci at char gen, by the time the Troll get to have the foci the human started with, the human can afford initiation +1 PP, closing even further the DV gap and increasing some other aspect of the character. The Troll will still be 15 karma behind schedule of the Human. Also, not all game are giving out Nuyen/Karma like candy. So that might take quite some game time before you actually get to grab those nice foci.
[

The troll is a couple hundred karma ahead of the human and some of that karma is insurmountable do to racial maxes.  Hell even in your troll build, if we accepted that as solid the troll has a karma advantage in Edge greater than the karma advantage of the focuses the troll would lose out on with E resources. 

ikarinokami

• Chummer
« Reply #153 on: <04-16-14/2204:26> »
Run and Gun changes alot here.

where before it was arguable that a change would make humans always better than trolls, there is now, no doubt that the proposed change would make trolls irrellevent.

4dv is completely inferior to 7 edge. the edge options that run and gun add in addition to the old ones, the troll fall out inferior to the human melee combantant unless the human willing nerf his/her edge rating, not to mention the human would be as shown previously better at every thing else also.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #154 on: <04-17-14/0229:54> »
Really? They didn't strike me as must-take actions.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!