NEWS

[WIP] Technomancer handbook

• 89 Replies

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« Reply #15 on: <04-28-14/2025:03> »
That said, Shadowrun is a combat and exciting game, so maybe throw TM's a bone and give them some initiative bonuses or something?

They are currently the only character capable of getting the full 5d6 dice in the matrix.  in 4th edition there is a echo (that ports over easily and will probably be in the matrix book) that let's them use their full VR initiative but in meatspace, as long as they only take as many actions in meat that they would normally.  So a Technomancer with a couple submersions could get those two echos and bet one of the first people to get an action for either matrix or meat.

See? That's pretty cool stuff. TM's go for the long game then. :)

That's assuming it will be in the book: As Run & Gun has shown, a lot of things aren't being brought over from SR4A.

Triskavanski

• Ace Runner
« Reply #16 on: <04-28-14/2036:26> »
Run and Gun isn't arsenal though really. It was just the combat book, so they only did stuff for combat.
Concepts are great, but implementation sucks. Why not improve it?

Triskavanski's House Rules

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« Reply #17 on: <04-28-14/2040:26> »
Run and Gun isn't arsenal though really. It was just the combat book, so they only did stuff for combat.
Yes, but it was still missing various equipment that was combat related: mods such as personalized grip, vibro knife and vibro sword, etc. The Matrix book might very well have everything the SR4A did, but automatically assuming it will is pointless; we will not know until it is released.

Triskavanski

• Ace Runner
« Reply #18 on: <04-30-14/0452:45> »
Its also missing mods that it was suppose to have, so said Gun Heaven 3.

I'm pretty sure when "arsenal" comes out, more weapons/armors will be included, including more rules on modding them.

norskface

• Newb
« Reply #19 on: <04-30-14/1114:16> »
Poorly you are missing the part that you need to roll for each Sprite an seperate "Attack action"... to come with them all on the Host to help you, if things get bad.  :'(

I also hoped it would be different, but in this way, I dont see, how I can work with them in a team. (Had this dicussed already once before here...)

Triskavanski

• Ace Runner
« Reply #20 on: <04-30-14/1203:08> »
Actually.. if you put a sprite on standby, you should beable to pull it out while in the host.

But why do you need to roll "attack actions" in the first place to get into a host?

norskface

• Newb
« Reply #21 on: <04-30-14/1240:43> »
Well I ment Brute force or Hack on the Fly, for every Sprite you want to get on the Host, or doing something for you on the comlink.

That was also once my question here in this Forum and I got corrected, that I cant share my marks I have with my Sprites or they cant share them with me. If I want to get "inside" with them together, to be able to work together (if this is possible), me and the Sprites have to Hack into the Host or comlink.... what ever.

I also dont like this and it ruins my whole TM, because I of so many uncleared problems off TMs and Sprites I only can wait for Unwired... and I realy hope this will be possible.
But for now, this is a mayn reason I almost never use Sprites till now.

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #22 on: <04-30-14/1248:27> »
^ It is a good question and one for which I don't know if we have an answer.

On the spirit side of the house, you can bind a spirit and then send it "away" to the metaplanes, allowing you to call it from somewhere else later. It's never specified, but given the nature of the metaplanes, you can presumably slip through a ward and then call a previously bound spirit with no problems (wards don't extend into the metaplanes, IIRC).

Not sure how that works with sprites, given that hosts and warded areas are a bit different. Given that Standby actually costs a service and indicates that the sprite returns to "the Resonance" I would allow it to be able to be called into a Host without getting a MARK on it, although that in and of itself might raise red flags with the Patrol IC.
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #23 on: <04-30-14/1408:26> »
There was a trick in Street Magic using a temporary metaplane jump for Spirits to get past wards, which non-free can only do if their Summoner is on the other end, iirc. So yeah, it's quite doable for them. I could understand a comparable move for TMs, though frankly I know about squat about them.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Triskavanski

• Ace Runner
« Reply #24 on: <04-30-14/2335:42> »
Couple of tricks, beyond just the stand by trick.

Puppeteer, or resonance veil might work too
However.. a host is niether a device nor persona, so i assume some gms might rule that you cant use your cimplex forms on a host, which hurts.

Currently vs a host technomances do have some weaknesses obviously. Hopefully if you are being the crew hacker the gm will work with you a little bit, is about all i can give for now. Hopefully some things get better defiened soon

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #25 on: <05-01-14/0237:55> »
in SR4 a TM had to relearn her hacking skills if she wanted to hack like a decker.
In SR5 she use the same skill set.

This mean a SR5 TM can log on to her cyberdeck 
(using cyberdeck persona, cyberdeck attributes, cyberdeck cyberprograms and not her living persona)
and connect it directly to a device to exploit the direct connection.
..and use the mark to enter a host
and from the host get direct connection to all slaved devices.
She don't need high matrix attributes when she only fight device ratings anyway.

Using her living persona she can spend edge or time (heal stun and try again) to get the mark on the host.
(just like a decker that does not have access to a slaved device)
...once she enter the host she will have a direct connection to all slaved devices.
(just like a decker that enter a host)

Depending on your reading a technomancer can change a protected file without first breaking the protection
(which will alert the host)
A ghost in the shell
...a decker would first have to alert the host by breaking the protection
...and then defend against (or hide from) IC while altering the file

A TM using her living persona can reduce OS by repeat thread low rank Cleaner complex forms.
This way a TM can stay on-line with her marks for a very very long time
Perfect for prolonged surveillance jobs where you, with one single test, can
- Trace physical locations of devices
- Track matrix activities with cookies
- Monitoring all matrix communications with snoop
....basically until you are forced to log out to get some sleep.
(while a Decker only do this, minus cookies, for about 40 minutes)

norskface

• Newb
« Reply #26 on: <05-01-14/1128:23> »
@Xenon: And what has this to do, that you cant bring your tools (Sprites) to the job?

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #27 on: <05-01-14/1212:44> »
No.
Just random TM thoughts.

Basically; TM are not fubar when it comes to Hosts.

Triskavanski

• Ace Runner
« Reply #28 on: <05-01-14/1237:16> »
Not fubar, but they do have a slight issue when it comes to them. They can deal with the ICs a bit better than a decker, but their complex forms don't seem to function vs a host.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #29 on: <05-01-14/1311:54> »
what they need is a way to establish a direct connection to a device so they can grab a mark on a host without fighting host ratings. the best house rule so far i've seen is that all TMs start with a "skin link"- Echo by default that let them establish a direct connection to devices they physically touch.