NEWS

[WIP] Technomancer handbook

• 89 Replies

Triskavanski

• Ace Runner
« on: <04-24-14/1328:01> »
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1sYeM9xPJSL32yM6N2-dvEeedcg--u_S-51ZgA4ddBxU/edit?usp=sharing

Just something I've been working on, still working on it as I've got to finish up attributes, and start doing gear. Of course a lot of this is my opinions on Technomancers
Concepts are great, but implementation sucks. Why not improve it?

Triskavanski's House Rules

gmoney999

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <04-24-14/1816:14> »
This is good!

I would add a section of sample builds.  For example, can you make a strong technomancer Dwarf?  Elf? Do you think it is possible to make a strong technomancer with a low starting resonance attribute? do you think it is viable to get resources D + spend 10 karma on cash and buy cerebral boosters (you have next to no gear)?

Also I would mention how hard you are to spot as a technomancer in the real world!  A 6+ assensing test is really the only thing that can spot you.
« Last Edit: <04-24-14/2011:09> by gmoney999 »

SlowDeck

• Ace Runner
  • How do people add personal text under their name?
« Reply #2 on: <04-24-14/1857:15> »
They need a sticky with guides in it... this one should be added to that sticky  ;D
"Speech" Spirit/"Astral" Thought/"Subvocal" Matrix/"Commlink" "Totem" [Time/Date] <<Text&email>>

FasterN8

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • Err on the side of awesome.
« Reply #3 on: <04-24-14/2145:00> »
Yeah, good stuff man. 

Don't forget to mention that Cleaner is pretty much required if you're registering sprites.  Unless you houserule that putting them on standby zeroes out their OS, a registered sprite only ever has about an hour (total) of life after it's next illegal action. 

Cleaner fixes all that.

Triskavanski

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <04-24-14/2248:11> »
Well, an hour if GOD keeps rolling high.

Otherwise re-registering again, cleans out the the OS score, just like registering does.

Cowdragon

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <04-25-14/1907:46> »
so the strength of Sprites, isn't that you can summon whatever kind, whenever you need them...but to have several ready to go for whatever mission BEFORE you get there? Intriguing.

What is this "low level sprite resistance" that you are speaking of?

Also, this thing is fantastic btw! Thanks for making it! I really  REALLY like Technomancers.

Triskavanski

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <04-25-14/1956:38> »
so the strength of Sprites, isn't that you can summon whatever kind, whenever you need them...but to have several ready to go for whatever mission BEFORE you get there? Intriguing.

What is this "low level sprite resistance" that you are speaking of?

Also, this thing is fantastic btw! Thanks for making it! I really  REALLY like Technomancers.

Strength of Sprites - Exactly! You've got one compiled one that you could summon whenever needed, if you needed one. But the true stength (by my finding of them) is to have a small army with you at all times. The first mission of course is going to be rough due to the rules not letting you have them without spending karma (which is a waste) and how long it would take to compile/register them. Having 5 logic, you could have 2 machine spirtes, 1 crack, 1 fault and 1 data.

Low Level Sprite resistance - a level 1 sprite has a 33% chance of failure, regardless of how many hits you get. Its even higher when your registering it. That chance of  auto-failure however slowly starts dropping as the sprite increases in force and your own abilities increase.

Its something I've been tossing around a lot, due to complaints that Technomancers played like deckers aren't as good as deckers. I've only recently found a method of getting around low limits (teamworking with your sprites that have high limits) and thus started putting that into  the guide.

TerraFirst!

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <04-25-14/1959:49> »
I wanted to point out, especially bc one of the comments on there also made reference to it, a permanent effect doesn't need to be sustained for level rounds before it starts having an effect, rather, taken from page 252, "if you sustain it for its Level in Combat Turns, its effects remain after you stop sustaining it".  Means the effect happens immediately, lasts while you sustain, and becomes permanent after so long.

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #8 on: <04-25-14/2012:51> »
This is good!

I would add a section of sample builds.  For example, can you make a strong technomancer Dwarf?  Elf? Do you think it is possible to make a strong technomancer with a low starting resonance attribute? do you think it is viable to get resources D + spend 10 karma on cash and buy cerebral boosters (you have next to no gear)?

Also I would mention how hard you are to spot as a technomancer in the real world!  A 6+ assensing test is really the only thing that can spot you.

here's a dwarf TM:
He's got a 5/5/6/6 living persona, resonance 7 and passable physical stats so i'd say yes, ou can make TM's that have a meta choice
Priorities:
A: Resonance (6 +2 R5 skills, +5 CF)
B: Attribs (20)
C: Meta (dwarf, 1)
D: Skills (22)
E: Resources (6k)

Attribs:
BOD 3 (+0)
STR 3 (+0)
AGI 2 (+1)
REA 3 (+2)
CHA 5 (+4)
INT 5 (+4)
LOG 6 (+5)      20/20
WIL 6 (+4)

RES 7
EDG 2 {+10 karma}
ESS 6

Qualities: Exceptional Attribute (RES) -14
           Sinner (national: UCAS) +5
           Common, Mild Allergy- Seafood +10
           Moderate Addiction: Nicotine +9
Net +25 Karma

Free:
Compiling {6} (Crack +2)
Registering 5

Individual:           22/22
Hacking 6
Cybercombat 4
EWar 2 (encryption +2)
Software 6
Computer 3 (Matrix perception +2)
Automatics 2 (MP +2)

Etiquette 1 {2k}
First aid 1 {2k}
Con 1 {2k}
Disguise 1 {2k}
Athletics Group 1 {5k}
Resonance Spike
Static Bomb
Static Veil

Weapons + Armour:
Cavalier Evanator (MP) 775
+concealable holster 150 
Lined Coat 900            900

Helmet 100
-image link 25
-motion scanner 100
-microtransceiver 200     425
2250 total
-SSF R1 250               850

Glasses R4 400
-Flare Comp 250
-Vision Mag 250
-Vision Enhance 1 500
-Image Link 25           1625

Renraku Sensei Commlink  1000
Fake Sin R3              7500
-Fake Gun License R3      600
-Fake Vehicle License R3  600
12175 total                                    14425 spent
>dwarf +20%

Yamaha Growler     5000                        26000 spent
Data chip x10        50                       
Standard tags (100) 100
Stealth Tags (50)    50
Bug scanner R6      600
Area Jammer R4      800
Directional " R6   1200
Gold Credstick      100
Disguise Kit        500
Medkit R2           500
Casual Clothing      50

Ammo:
Regular x200        400
x5 spare clips       25
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

Flip

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <04-26-14/1953:27> »
This is looking really great. I'm starting my own game soon, and by far the hardest part of SR5 was matrix stuff. This is a nifty little handbook that looks like it'll be great for my players (Who are new to shadowrun entirely) and myself! Looking forward to seeing it hit V1.

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« Reply #10 on: <04-26-14/2348:52> »
On a Res 6 Technomancer, would it be worth it to lose a point of Res (and Ess) to drop in a Rating 2 Synaptic booster (to help when you're not needed in the Matrix)?

Triskavanski

• Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <04-27-14/0010:54> »
If you can get alpha or higher grades, and be able to fit in the Pain Editor. Cause the Pain editor is probably the #1 thing to get, even though it hurts your resonance a little. Basically undetectable, and it lets you quite some time on the matrix.

Cause you'll take less damage, heal faster and all sorts of other lovely things. Like In AR mode, you'd be able to fight for much longer than a decker, since you can go through your stun track and then through your physical track if you really wanted to. (I don't suggest fighting that long.)

Cowdragon

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: <04-27-14/2158:26> »
If you can get alpha or higher grades, and be able to fit in the Pain Editor. Cause the Pain editor is probably the #1 thing to get, even though it hurts your resonance a little. Basically undetectable, and it lets you quite some time on the matrix.

Cause you'll take less damage, heal faster and all sorts of other lovely things. Like In AR mode, you'd be able to fight for much longer than a decker, since you can go through your stun track and then through your physical track if you really wanted to. (I don't suggest fighting that long.)

Maybe TM's just need to be more like Mystic Adepts? lol.

But seriously, I think the primary "problem" with them is that people tend to forget how awesome it is to be "normal" in the shadows sometimes. TM's cannot be detected. Well, not easily. This can be much more effective than a combat monster in many situations.

That said, Shadowrun is a combat and exciting game, so maybe throw TM's a bone and give them some initiative bonuses or something?

Insaniac99

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <04-28-14/0437:40> »
That said, Shadowrun is a combat and exciting game, so maybe throw TM's a bone and give them some initiative bonuses or something?

They are currently the only character capable of getting the full 5d6 dice in the matrix.  in 4th edition there is a echo (that ports over easily and will probably be in the matrix book) that let's them use their full VR initiative but in meatspace, as long as they only take as many actions in meat that they would normally.  So a Technomancer with a couple submersions could get those two echos and bet one of the first people to get an action for either matrix or meat.
Check out my all purpose Shadowrun Die roller and Probability generator: http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=13241.0

Cowdragon

• Newb
« Reply #14 on: <04-28-14/1846:54> »

They are currently the only character capable of getting the full 5d6 dice in the matrix.  in 4th edition there is a echo (that ports over easily and will probably be in the matrix book) that let's them use their full VR initiative but in meatspace, as long as they only take as many actions in meat that they would normally.  So a Technomancer with a couple submersions could get those two echos and bet one of the first people to get an action for either matrix or meat.

See? That's pretty cool stuff. TM's go for the long game then. :)