NEWS

Those of you w/ the core rulebook - help me make a badass!

• 89 Replies

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #45 on: <08-13-19/1728:43> »
No, character advancement costs are based on your rank, while the number in parenthesis is the augmented value. You can see in the section below that adjusted attribute and current attribute rank are two separate entities.

"Various things modify attributes,
such as spells and gear, but a character’s
adjusted attribute can never be higher
than their current attribute rank +4."
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Moonrunner

• Chummer
« Reply #46 on: <08-13-19/1825:43> »
So I am assuming this character has a Reaction of 8 due to 5 in the attribute + 1 from Synaptic Booster (3 ranks in this).

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #47 on: <08-13-19/2337:26> »
Yeah Synaptic 3 gives +3 Rea, but the rank is 5 so it'd be 30 karma to raise to 6.

Moonrunner

• Chummer
« Reply #48 on: <08-14-19/0037:22> »
Yeah Synaptic 3 gives +3 Rea, but the rank is 5 so it'd be 30 karma to raise to 6.

Are you saying he miscalculated?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #49 on: <08-14-19/0048:20> »
No, calculations are fine: Synaptic Boosters 3 and 5 Reaction will give 5(5+3=8) Reaction, adding Intuition 5 will make it 13+4d6 Initiative and 13 base defense dice against attacks. (Remember that you cannot actually deactivate Synaptic Boosters, so you'll always be using the augmented values.)

If you want to ever raise Reaction to 6(9), it costs you the 5->6 in Karma aka 6 (new rank) * 5 (karma baseline) = 30 karma.

markelphoenix

• Omae
« Reply #50 on: <08-14-19/0832:10> »
No, character advancement costs are based on your rank, while the number in parenthesis is the augmented value. You can see in the section below that adjusted attribute and current attribute rank are two separate entities.

"Various things modify attributes,
such as spells and gear, but a character’s
adjusted attribute can never be higher
than their current attribute rank +4."

So if someone gets Muscle Aug IV, raising agility to 6(10), and a mage casts Increase Attribute Agility, it does nothing for the person with Muscle Aug IV?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #51 on: <08-14-19/0839:09> »
Correct. Even if the two boosts allow stacking, they still face the maximum adjusted value.

Muscle Augmentation mentions not being compatible with other augmentations, Increase Attribute mentions no restriction, so they should combine. If I have Muscle Aug II, then Increase Agility can in fact boost me from 6(8) to 6(10) with 2 net hits. This means that in SR6, buffing someone with Increase Attribute who's already boosted is cheaper drainwise (rather than more intensive drainwise, which it was in SR5).

markelphoenix

• Omae
« Reply #52 on: <08-14-19/0915:45> »
Correct. Even if the two boosts allow stacking, they still face the maximum adjusted value.

Muscle Augmentation mentions not being compatible with other augmentations, Increase Attribute mentions no restriction, so they should combine. If I have Muscle Aug II, then Increase Agility can in fact boost me from 6(8) to 6(10) with 2 net hits. This means that in SR6, buffing someone with Increase Attribute who's already boosted is cheaper drainwise (rather than more intensive drainwise, which it was in SR5).

If Muscle Augmentation is not compatible with other augmentations, isn't Increase Attribute a type of Augmentation? Wouldn't that mean they are applied separately, so you would apply Muscle Aug II, Increase Attribute II, and still have 6(8), or if you did Muscle Aug II, Increase Attribute IV, you would have 6(10), but it would only really be applying the Increase Attribute because it is the higher Augmentation?

markelphoenix

• Omae
« Reply #53 on: <08-14-19/0918:40> »

Also, how does this work with Power Foci? Does Power Foci actually Augment Magic? I.E., if I had a F4 Power Foci, would I then have 6(10) Magic, or would I still have 6 Magic and an Augmentation to all my Magic Rolls?

If it is the second, then does that mean once I get a Power Foci of F4, I no longer need any Foci that would raise my Spellcasting or Conjuring specifically, because it would not apply due to bumping the Augmentation past +4? I really hope it is Power Foci Augments Magic, so that you can still use Spellcasting Foci etc.

Also, what about Drain? If I Increase Attribute Willpower IV, then do Centering as Initiation, does it look at Willpower being Augmented and then my Drain rolls being Augmented by the Centering, thus being separate and do "stack"?

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #54 on: <08-14-19/0936:50> »
Quote from: CRB p, 39
Augmentations

Augmentations are alterations to a physical body that enhance an individual’s capabilities to some degree. It may be a limb that increases strength and agility, it may be armor plates woven into the skin, or it may be replacement glands or organs that enhance existing capabilities or add new ones. Augmentations are listed starting on p. 282.

Augmentations are physical 'ware.

Foci are not augmentations, they are bonded objects that temporarily boost a spell/enchanting/Magic attribute/etc.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #55 on: <08-14-19/0941:29> »
Otoh, "augmented bonuses" also come from things like magic and drugs, too.

So if you have +4 to an attribute from cyberware, spells and drugs still won't take you beyond that bonus.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #56 on: <08-14-19/0942:03> »
Power Foci actually only give a dicepool modifier. They don't boost the actual attribute. The fluff description has been bad ever since 4e changed how power foci work. But it's a dicepool modifier and thus does not count for overcasting and doesn't stack with spell foci.

Augmentations are ware so drugs and magic are normally not considered augmentations. I don't recall reading otherwise in SR6. Other boosts do still obey adjusted maximum. So the spell and the ware combine but not past +4. Incidentally this is the problem with Wired vs Synaptic: wired can stack with more than synaptic by raw. Which is rubbish.

Bonus on drain roll and boosted attribute are different things so yes centering stacks with adjusted attributes.

sn0mm1s

• Chummer
« Reply #57 on: <08-14-19/1026:46> »
How does Adrenaline Boost work in this edition?

Moonrunner

• Chummer
« Reply #58 on: <08-15-19/2219:24> »
Quick question.

For the Synaptic Booster purchased on this build...is the 3 the rank purchased or the pts spent on the purchase?

From what I am reading on Hobbes' build it looks like the character has 4 ranks in Bone Density, 4 ranks in Muscle Replace, and 3 ranks in Synaptic Booster.  If it is indeed the rank he bought for each augmentation then I am calculating a total cost in Essence of 5.5, leaving .5 Essence left for the character since characters begin with 6 Essence.  Those would make for some amazing enhancements.

Here is the build again for ease of reference:

Metatype   E
Attributes   A
Skills   C
Magic   D
Resources   B

S   5 (9)
A   7 (11)
R   5 (8  )
B   3  (+4 to Soak)
I   5
L   2
C   2
W   3
Magic 1
Essence 0.31
Edge 2

Stealth          4   
Perception          5   
Athletics           5   
Engineering   1    5
Con                   1    5
Influence           1    5
Outdoors           1    5

Specializations     
Archery               5
Acting               5
Unarmed               5
Visual               5

Other Karma spends
Magic +1               5
Qualities               4
Nuyen               1
   Total:                50

Qualities
Dermal Deposits      12
Mentor Spirit, Thunderbird      10
Impaired Logic  2      -16
Addiction 1 Week      -2

Adept Powers   
Critical Strike   Thunderbird
Critical Strike   1 PP

Augment   
Bone Density   4  alpha
Muscle Replace   4  Used
Synap   3  Used

"50,500 Nuyen remaining.  2 Knowledge skills remain. 

7 DV Unarmed Damage, with 19 Dice.  Should be one-shotting most stuff.  Could pick up 2 more Karma from Negative Qualities if you want.

For a Katana user dump Str and Dermal Deposits, put the attribute points into Body and Charisma.  You lose a point of DV, but you're still scary.
"
« Last Edit: <08-15-19/2300:36> by Moonrunner »

Moonrunner

• Chummer
« Reply #59 on: <08-16-19/0001:05> »
Anyone? I'm still trying desperately to understand everything.  LOL