NEWS

Fave Restricted Gear Quality

• 14 Replies

Wenlocke

• Newb
« on: <02-06-19/1056:16> »
We've had favourite gun, now lets broaden the horizons a little. I see people mention this here or there, but as a concentrated "what is it useful for?" I figured I'd ask this.

What are peoples favourite things to do with the restricted gear quality at chargen?

I mean, there's the obvious "I can buy that one gun" but if that floats your boat, what or why? if it's cyber or bio, what's the best bang for the buck in terms of "stuff you can actually afford at the restricted rating?"

Essentially, what gear at startup is so worth having for you that you'd spend karma on getting it? (it's just so cool and fits the character is a valid reason, by the way  8) )

Nostalgia 'aint what it used to be.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <02-06-19/1116:17> »
Pain Editor.

If you're building a tank and you don't buy Restricted Gear to start with a Pain Editor... you're not properly min-maxing :D

Edit: Also, Adapsin for any concept you'd buy Bio-Compatability: Cyberware for.
« Last Edit: <02-06-19/1119:00> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #2 on: <02-06-19/1122:36> »
I've not done it yet, but the soft nanite / neural amplifier / neocortical seems like it might be worth it on a decker?  35k will net you rating 2 nanites (avail 16) and the supporting soft nanite hive (avail 10), which gives you a long lasting +2 to all logic linked skills. 

Add in data over lore, perfect time, overclocker, and a Little Hornet deck and you should be off to a good start for a resources C decker :)

Jayde Moon

• Administrator
  • Ace Runner
  • Shadowrun Missions Developer
« Reply #3 on: <02-06-19/1245:14> »
Are you a troll?  Alphaware muscle replacement.  I like to combine that with WR 1, combat drugs, Exceptional Attribute Agl, Edge 6, and something to throw at you.
That's just like... your opinion, man.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #4 on: <02-06-19/1623:27> »
No love for the Krime Triple Series?  Especially with the Krime Pack to make them even more awesome!  And, look at that, new rules for miniguns to really chew up the scenery!
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <02-06-19/1649:08> »
The favorite that I've seen (not my character), was combining it with Prototype Transhuman to get a "natural" suprathyroid gland. That plus a few other things like enhanced flexebility, and they ended up with the classic "super human" type character.

Other than unique things like that, which can only be done at character creation, I'm not a big fan of Restricted Gear...

Nebulous

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <02-06-19/1819:46> »
For me, it has always been the Gauss Cannon.  Sure it may not be the easiest to get ammo for or the best at what it does, but I have always loved magnet based kinetic kill weaponry. Rail guns, coil guns, etc.  Its not the usefulness of it for me, but the coolness factor.
In honor of a longtime friend. 

May the Shadows not take you.
May the Shadows of [Meta]Humanity not dishearten you.
May the Shadows of Society not corrupt you.
May the Shadows of the World not destroy you.
May you own Shadow be a guide of what not to become.

-The Last Wraith

Wenlocke

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <02-07-19/0710:29> »
Notably, it's the only way to be able to get a skillwire build at gen to run rating 6 activesofts (and indeed between surgery costs, hardware recovery times, etc and everything that comes with it, you're not likely to be able to upgrade that anytime soon anyway.) You can get 5's with Used cyberware, but if you really want a rating 6 skillwire build, this is really the only way to do it that I've come across.
Nostalgia 'aint what it used to be.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #8 on: <02-19-19/1310:32> »
My Rigger in a short campaign got a Gladius with a Heavy Weapon Mount in it, was a nice ride.

I also like the idea of going Rank 4 on Muscle Toner. Though I usually build my sams cheap and used.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <02-19-19/1313:51> »
Ewww.. used bioware is gross...

But it is very, very cyberpunk.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #10 on: <02-19-19/1331:32> »
Ewww.. used bioware is gross...

But it is very, very cyberpunk.
"Aw, come on, honey, the body's still warm.  That's gotta net us some extra cred for his body parts."  "Yeah, that's already factored into the price I quoted you.  Take it or leave it."  "Well, pizza money is pizza money."
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <02-20-19/2150:09> »
Muscle toner 4 is my go to when I'm not working a concept too much like for one shots or something.

Spooky

• Omae
  • If you run, you'll only die tired.
« Reply #12 on: <02-21-19/1715:17> »
For 'ware, I prefer the damage comps as high as possible (8, I believe, since I'm AFB ATM). For guns, either the Barrett or the Gauss. For armor, Sleeping Tiger with special fabric that increases capacity, and then several upgrades to take advantage of that capacity.
Spooky, what do you do this pass? Shoot him with my thunderstruck gauss rifle. (Rolls)  8 hits. Does that blow his head off?

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #13 on: <02-21-19/1854:38> »
Back in 4E, getting a suit of Red Samurai armor for a character that was working in the SCIRE when shit went down, and by the time everything was said and done, he had blue eyes.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
  • Uzi's + Fireballs .... Why I love Shadowrun!
« Reply #14 on: <02-21-19/2341:45> »
Not a fan of the quality for most things,  BUT,   Move-by-Wire-3 would be the exception.  ;)