NEWS

[SR6] Power Points, Magic and Physical Adepts

• 81 Replies

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #60 on: <08-09-19/1705:56> »
Hmm... I would say that is what the *editing* process is for.

I very much agree. Now I would never hold any game publisher to a perfect standard. Some errors are going to be missed, some mechanics that seemed ok will turn out to not be, shit happens, ect. Issue a few pages of errata down the line, no big.

That said, Catalyst has historically been pretty bad at both editing and getting errata out for Shadowrun 5th (I can't speak to other game lines/editions). This time they had the errata team on go before the book was even released. Now on the one hand, that is good. Shows progress. On the other hand though, I am kind of stunned that the book needed 10 pages of errata, upon release, and that is only the beginning. Also that they either missed all of this errata, or knew it needed it but didnt bother before sending off to print. Kind of blows my mind honestly.

For PDF users, it's not so big a deal if they insert the errata. For folks who like paper though I am sure it is profoundly annoying.
"TL:DR 6e's reduction of meaningful choices is akin to forcing everyone to wear training wheels. Now it's just becomes a bunch of toddlers riding around on tricycles they can't fall off of." - Adzling

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #61 on: <08-09-19/1736:33> »
actually no, in game design character generation is usually the last component to get "built" because first you need to figure out all the pieces and parts and how they interact with each other ... during playtesting characters are just assigned stats and not built. Then when it is all said and done then you make the character generation is built to suit

Whether it’s last or first it’s one section you kind of need to nail. If people’s start off wrong it can mess up the rest of their game.

sn0mm1s

• Chummer
« Reply #62 on: <08-09-19/1857:43> »
actually no, in game design character generation is usually the last component to get "built" because first you need to figure out all the pieces and parts and how they interact with each other ... during playtesting characters are just assigned stats and not built. Then when it is all said and done then you make the character generation is built to suit

This actually explains a lot - at least if this is how SR is handled. Playtesting mechanics can be done with prebuilts but full on testing of the game should start from the beginning - which is chargen.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #63 on: <08-09-19/1906:57> »
I can confirm that all the pregens were written separately by others using a version of the rules that did not make it the final CRB
Would it be fair to also take that as confirmation that the chargen rules on p. 65-66 are correct:

"the rating used for that calculation is the Magic in the Priority table, not as altered with any points, Karma, or any other adjustments"
"as before, the rating used is the Magic in the Priority table, not as altered with any points, Karma, or adjustments"
"as listed in the Priority table, before any adjustments"
"Again, this uses the Magic value in the Priority table, not as adjusted with Karma or adjustment point"
"using the Resonance figure from the Priority table, not the number as adjusted"

And that the rule on p. 156:

"Whenever adept characters gain a point of Magic, they also gain a power point. This means that an adept character who starts with a Magic rating of 4 also starts with 4 power points"

...is talking about an adept that specifically had an unadjusted magic rating of 4 from Magic or Resonance priority A
(rather than an adept that perhaps did not pick Magic or Resonance A and instead used a mix of adjustment points, karma or augmentations to start the game with an adjusted magic rating of 4).

Depending on your reading the text on p. 156 is maybe not technically wrong, but the "This means..."-sentence sure does imply that whatever your adjusted magic rating is when you leave chargen is also the number of point points you will have when you start (no matter what the unadjusted magic rating from Magic or Resonance was).
« Last Edit: <08-09-19/2013:17> by Xenon »

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #64 on: <08-09-19/1956:38> »
I think what it means is wait for runners companion where they release a working character generator system.

topcat

• Newb
« Reply #65 on: <08-09-19/2234:42> »
Given page 66, is there any non-fluff reason to make a PhysAd when you could make a MysAd instead?

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #66 on: <08-09-19/2247:30> »
Given page 66, is there any non-fluff reason to make a PhysAd when you could make a MysAd instead?

I think power point growth is different. Like mystic adepts have to spend karma to gain pps after a magic increase or something. My memory for peoples posts sucks and who knows maybe that was paragraph 3 that got deleted under mystic adepts or something.

Is astral projection worth loss of access to physical adept moves. Because mage is looking a lot like mistake adepts just with astral projection and no physical adept moves.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #67 on: <08-09-19/2249:58> »

Pages 156 & 158.

MysAds don't get free Power Points and regular adepts do.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

topcat

• Newb
« Reply #68 on: <08-09-19/2307:53> »
So they advance slower, but have a clear edge at chargen.  Thanks for the clarifications!

skalchemist

• Omae
« Reply #69 on: <08-12-19/1138:03> »
Assuming...

* the rules on pg 65-66 survive errata intact, and...

* I really want to play a Physical Adept, not a Mystical Adept

is there any reason to spend points (Metatype or Karma) to increase your Magic Rating at character creation?  It seems to me that the exact opposite is true; points spent would mean you are missing out on gaining Power Points later at a cheaper Karma cost.  But maybe there is a use for a higher Magic rating for Physical Adepts I am missing?

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #70 on: <08-12-19/1141:45> »
Assuming...

* the rules on pg 65-66 survive errata intact, and...

* I really want to play a Physical Adept, not a Mystical Adept

is there any reason to spend points (Metatype or Karma) to increase your Magic Rating at character creation?  It seems to me that the exact opposite is true; points spent would mean you are missing out on gaining Power Points later at a cheaper Karma cost.  But maybe there is a use for a higher Magic rating for Physical Adepts I am missing?

There are a small number of adept powers that use your magic rating as a die pool for a test.

But realistically, no. IF human don’t bother taking race past d because none of that should go to magic. Now if after char gen you can buy a power point for that magic point on the cheap like mistake adepts style at 6 karma then sure.
« Last Edit: <08-12-19/1457:12> by Shinobi Killfist »

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #71 on: <08-12-19/1320:55> »
is there any reason to spend points (Metatype or Karma) to increase your Magic Rating at character creation?
Magic put a limit on how many foci you bond and the maximum Force all your bond foci can have (Force 4 Qi Focus == 1 Power Point and Weapon focus might also be of interest if you are a Physical Adept).

Magic is used when calculating your Attack Rating during Astral Combat.

Magic set the duration of adrenaline boost, the effect of attribute boost and if drain from them cause stun- or physical damage.
« Last Edit: <08-12-19/1333:24> by Xenon »

sn0mm1s

• Chummer
« Reply #72 on: <08-12-19/1608:25> »
is there any reason to spend points (Metatype or Karma) to increase your Magic Rating at character creation?
Magic put a limit on how many foci you bond and the maximum Force all your bond foci can have (Force 4 Qi Focus == 1 Power Point and Weapon focus might also be of interest if you are a Physical Adept).

Magic is used when calculating your Attack Rating during Astral Combat.

Magic set the duration of adrenaline boost, the effect of attribute boost and if drain from them cause stun- or physical damage.

Out of curiosity, how does Adrenaline Boost work in 6e?

Iron Serpent Prince

• Omae
« Reply #73 on: <08-13-19/2015:47> »
This time they had the errata team on go before the book was even released. Now on the one hand, that is good. Shows progress. On the other hand though, I am kind of stunned that the book needed 10 pages of errata, upon release, and that is only the beginning. Also that they either missed all of this errata, or knew it needed it but didnt bother before sending off to print. Kind of blows my mind honestly.

Based on my (admittedly limited) understanding of traditional print producers who are desperately trying to get a handle on this here new fangled digital thing...  They are still stuck in their anachronistic bubble, and continue to work that way.

I would wager that the Errata / HotFix (if different than Errata) team didn't even get their copies until after the source was sent to print.  Quite possibly, not until after Catalyst received a proof.

It is what is expected of Catalyst.  You get to decide if that is a good thing, or a bad thing.

Hardcase

• Newb
« Reply #74 on: <08-14-19/1551:25> »
I'm totally confused as to whether the 4 magic point limit for adepts at character creation is intentional or not, mainly because the archetype adept has 6 magic and has spent 5.5 points on powers. So either the archetype is created wrong or adepts are supposed to get their full points if they up their magic attribute using racial points.