NEWS

(Karma Gen) Creating Riddick, a badass melee adept (please help)

• 11 Replies

astaroth999

• Newb
« on: <08-13-16/1235:13> »
A friend of mine who is GMing a street scum game is looking to end their campaign with a bang before the group disbands. He has decided to that the players will meet Riddick (from the Riddick movies) during the run. They will partner up with him without realising who he is. After a few quick missions, they will realise his identity and decides to cash in on his huge bounty. Riddick will fight back and the hunters become the hunted. Some of players are expected to die during the encounter.

I am tasked with helping him to recreate Riddick. Problem is I am not exactly familiar with creating a melee and throwing combat monster. He mentioned the character have to be legal and in compliance with the various normal char gen rules for a normal SR5 char (not prime runner). He has also requested to leave some upgrade routes open so that he can tweek the char with some karma if need be.

I have some questions though in my creation:-

1) Can a player quickdraw a combat knife without the rapid draw adept power or the iaijutsu technique? Quickdraw can be used for pistol-sized weapon.

2) Can a player with cyberarm slide place a combat knife inside it? RAW says only taser, holdout and light pistol. But isn't is just an internal version of the hidden arm slide which allows for pistol-sized weapon? the concealability modifier for both knife and light pistol is the same.

3) Does celerity quality combines with the redliner quality? Not with cyber leg of course, but for a pair of cyberarms. I am thinking maybe the arm helps similiar to us swing our arms when we run.

I am thinking the char need to have super high walk/run speed to deal with the disadvantage of closing the distance and to use throwing if i cannot reach in time.

Key stats.

20DP 12DV -3AP for blades.
16DP 11DV -1AP for throwing. Max range 70m at 10 str. more with precision throwing. This is farther than what a heavy pistol can do!
16DP Sneak (averaging using 5 limbs is 8 agi)
21/42 walk/run. equivalent to 10 agi for normal char. Can go even higher with improved attribute (agi)
10DP intimidation. Necessary for Riddick coolness

Potential Karma upgrade:- 4 initiation grade.  choiced power are traceless walk, improve attribute (agi) for unparrelleled walk/run speed & sneaking, combat senses, mystic armor, improved ability, Precision throwing, missile mastery

Potential Nuyen upgrade:- Cerebellum Booster, reflex recorder

Anyway, the below is my attempt. Please critique and help me improve on it. Cheesy combos will be much appreciated. Can't get Riddick coolness without max cheese.

The char should be legal, but because of I used surge 1 instead of surge 3 to save some karma. It means that this char needs to be rerolled a 1000 times to get the correct metagenatic postives and negatives qualities. Unfortunately he have obvious cyberarms, which is visually not very pleasing.

== Info ==
Street Name:
Name: Unnamed Character
Movement: 21/42
Street Cred: 0
Notoriety: 0
Public Awareness: 0
Human
Composure: 7
Judge Intentions: 7
Lift/Carry: 7 (60 kg/40 kg)
Memory: 7
Nuyen: 300

== Attributes ==
BOD: 3
AGI: 6 (7)
REA: 5 ( 8 )
STR: 3 (4)
CHA: 2
INT: 5
LOG: 2
WIL: 5
EDG: 3
MAG: 4

== Derived Attributes ==
Essence:                   4.4
Initiative:                10 (13) + 4d6
Rigger Initiative:         13 + 4d6
Astral Initiative:         10 + 2d6
Matrix AR Initiative:      13 + 4d6
Matrix Cold Initiative:    5 + DP + 3d6
Matrix Hot Initiative:     5 + DP + 4d6
Physical Damage Track:     9
Stun Damage Track:         11

== Limits ==
Physical:                  7
Mental:                    5
Social:                    5
Astral:                    5

== Active Skills ==

Blades                     : 6 [Knives]                             
Con                        : 1                   
Etiquette                  : 1                         
Gymnastics                 : 1                   
Intimidation               : 4 [Physical]           
Palming                    : 1                   
Perception                 : 4 [Visual]           
Pilot Ground Craft         : 1                     
Running                    : 1                     
Sneaking                   : 6 [Urban]             
Throwing Weapons           : 4 [Blades]           
Unarmed Combat             : 1                     

== Knowledge Skills ==

== Qualities ==
Adept
Ambidextrous
Celerity
Changeling (Class I SURGE)
Dead Emotion (Fear)
Hawk Eye
Hung Out to Dry
Impaired Attribute (CHA)
Impaired Attribute (LOG)
Nasty Vibe
Night Vision
Perfect Time
Redliner
Superhuman Psychosis
The Burnout's Way
Thermographic Vision (SURGE)
Underwater Vision
Wanted

== Powers ==
Combat Sense Rating: 2
Critical Strike (Blades)
Improved Reflexes 3 (REA)

== Lifestyles ==
squatter  1 months

== Cyberware/Bioware ==
Obvious Full Arm (AGI 10, STR 10, Physical 11) (Left)
   +Armor Rating 2
   +Customized Agility Rating 6
   +Customized Strength Rating 6
   +Enhanced Strength Rating 3
   +Cyberarm Slide
   +Enhanced Agility Rating 3
   +Cyberlimb Optimization (blades)
Obvious Full Arm (AGI 10, STR 10, Physical 11) (Right)
   +Customized Agility Rating 6
   +Customized Strength Rating 6
   +Enhanced Agility Rating 3
   +Enhanced Strength Rating 3
   +Cyberarm Slide
   +Armor Rating 2
   +Cyberlimb Optimization (blades)

== Armor ==
Armor Jacket                        12

== Weapons ==
Combat Knife
   +Concealed Quick-Draw Holster
   +Personalized Grip
   Pool: 18 (20)   Accuracy: 7   DV: 12P   AP: -3   RC: 3
Combat Knife
   +Concealed Quick-Draw Holster
   +Personalized Grip
   Pool: 18 (20)   Accuracy: 7   DV: 12P   AP: -3   RC: 3
Sapphire Knife
   +Personalized Grip
   Pool: 18 (20)   Accuracy: 6   DV: 12P   AP: -3   RC: 3
Sapphire Knife
   +Personalized Grip
   Pool: 18 (20)   Accuracy: 6   DV: 12P   AP: -3   RC: 3
Shuriken
   Pool: 14 (16)   Accuracy: 7   DV: 11P   AP: -1   RC: 3
Unarmed Attack
   Pool: 12   Accuracy: 7   DV: 10P   AP: -   RC: 3

== Commlink ==
Meta Link (ATT: 0, SLZ: 0, DP: 1, FWL: 1)

== Gear ==
Fake SIN Rating 4
   +Fake License (Adept License) Rating 4
   +Fake License (Restricted Cyberware License) Rating 4
   +Fake License (Driver's License) Rating 4
   +Fake License (Weapon License) Rating 4
Goggles Rating 1
   +Flare Compensation
Qi Focus (Bonded Foci) (Improved Reflexes 3) Rating 4
Shuriken x10

== Vehicles ==
Yamaha Growler (Off-Road Bike)
   +Sensor Array Rating 1
« Last Edit: <08-14-16/0206:11> by astaroth999 »

Kuirem

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <08-13-16/1735:12> »
1) You can Quickdraw a Knife without Rapid Draw BUT you can only throw it not melee attack.
2) RAW limit it so it is up to your GM to allow a Knife.
3) The extra AGI from Redliner should apply on Celerity.

First thing, are you limited to Human? Melee fighters need high STR so Orks and Trolls are better. Humans can still do it ofc.

If you want to cheese you can go with 4 Cyberlimbs and install Skates (from Chrome & Flesh) on your feet to get extra speed. Get as much armor as possible on all limbs and pick Cyber Singularity Seeker to get tons of soak dice and a big stun track.

If you go adept you should probably avoid Cyberlimbs to get as much PP as possible. There is tons of useful adept power for melee. Adept also have a skating something Power in Street Grimoire I believe so you can drop Changeling (most GM won't allow you to 'reroll 1000 times' to get the right metagenic).

An other option is to use Stun Baton, Shocking Hands, or Monofilament Whip which allow you to drop STR for other stats. For example raise REA and/or INT and get tons of dodge dice with the help of Adept Powers and make a dodgy melee adept (you can add Electrical Elemental Body for more fun).

astaroth999

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <08-14-16/0005:39> »
Looks like i have to either drop some skills to get iaijutsu or drop combat sense for rapid draw.

Its really an npc, so the GM has cleared the rerolling 1000x from surge 1.

Its Riddick. I think human is prob the only metatype. Orks even with the human-looking qualities will really be pushing it.

Skates and Skimmers (need to be taken in pairs) lower the physical limit by 2 and 4 respectively. This char doesnt have high enough limit to ignore the reduction, as this will decreasing throwing accuracy to 5 and 3. Plus it will not stealthy enough and will require a simple action to activate and deactivate. In the show, Riddick often walks up to his victim without anyone the wiser. If anything, i think traceless walk is the most required power.

As it is still ambiguous whether walk/run speed is determined by cyberlimb attribute, or natural physical attribute, I have decided against 4 cyberlimbs. If I were creating a gunslinger, i think 4 cyberlimbs will be highly viable due to less need for movement speed.

I agree there are many useful adept power. But there is nothing that can surpass the benefits of the 10 agi and 10 str of cyberarms. With the limitation of celerity, I cant even go take muscle augmentation.

While Riddick probably can use any weapon, i think his most defining weapon is the shiv. Hence the reason i selected knife as the weapon of choice. My REA and INT is at the char gen max already.
« Last Edit: <08-14-16/0214:19> by astaroth999 »

Thanael

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <08-14-16/0806:16> »
I certainly imagine Ridick with a bit more than Body 3, Strength 3(4).

There's a new knife, the Blacktooth Dagger in 10 Mercernaries (10 Mercs?), in the New Assets (Ryan mercury's Drake Merc company) entry:

[spoiler="4Estats for Blacktooth Dagger"]
Blacktooth Dagger

To identify each other and as a sign of their commitment each member of New Assets is bequathed a special dagger called the Blacktooth during a special rite of acceptance at the Lake Louise compound. This fiteen centimeter curved blade resembles a dragon's tooth and is based on Azadeh's personal blade. Extremely light and durable, some Blacktooth Daggers are also made into weapo foci for members who are magicians, adepts or mystic adepts.The drakes of New Assets are very protective of these weapons and those few who have succed[ed] in stealing of taking one from a fallen drake do not usually live long to emply their new possession

Damage (STR/2+4)  AP 1  Avail n/a  Cost n/a
[/spoiler]

In fact Ryan Mercury's entry could give you a few ideas for Riddick. He is an adept iniate and has learned Attunement for his knife.  In SR5 Attune (Item) gives you an increased limit. Relevant adept powers: Attribute boost (1) for Agility , Body, Reaction , Strength, Combat Sense(1), Critical Strike (5), Incr Reflexes 3, Penetrating Strike (not sure if this applies to knife though)
« Last Edit: <08-14-16/0851:28> by Thanael »

astaroth999

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <08-14-16/0929:33> »
yah i imagine his body and strength would way higher. Problem is that i just didnt have enough points for it.

Critical strike max out at level 1 for 5E.

gilga

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <08-15-16/1207:11> »
Did in sum 2 10.
Came out pretty bad-ass - not perfect but throw in a bunch of extra karma and he becomes truly scary.
If you want to increase dicepool a blades focus can come in handy (or unarmed focus) as an NPC, 17 seemed enough to me. You do not want him one-shoting your PC's.

== Info ==
Name: Unnamed Character           Alias:
Human                             Movement: 20/40
                                  Composure: 4
Street Cred: 0                    Judge Intentions: 6
Notoriety: 0                      Lift/Carry: 13 (120 kg/80 kg)
Public Awareness: 0               Memory: 6
Eyes:                             Hair:

== Priorities ==
Metatype: E,0
Attributes: A,4
Special: B,3
Skills: E,0
Resources: B,3
Bonus Skill: Blades
Bonus Skill: Alchemy

== Attributes ==
BOD: 5                            CHA: 1
AGI: 6 (10)                       INT: 5
REA: 5 (8)                        LOG: 3
STR: 5 (8)                        WIL: 3
EDG: 2                            MAG: 5

== Derived Attributes ==
Essence: 4.02                     Initiative:           10 (13) + 4d6
Physical Damage Track: 11         Rigger Init:          13 + 4d6
Stun Damage Track: 10             Astral Init:          10 + 2d6
Physical: 10                      Matrix AR Init:       13 + 4d6
Mental: 5                         Matrix VR Cold Init:  5 + DP + 3d6
Social: 4                         Matrix VR Hot Init:   5 + DP + 4d6
Astral: 5

== Active Skills ==
Blades                            Base: 6  + Karma: 0  = 6   Pool: 17
Escape Artist                     Base: 0  + Karma: 1  = 1   Pool: 11
Gymnastics                        Base: 0  + Karma: 1  = 1   Pool: 11
Palming                           Base: 0  + Karma: 1  = 1   Pool: 11
Perception (Visual)               Base: 5  + Karma: 0  = 5   Pool: 11 (13)
Running                           Base: 0  + Karma: 1  = 1   Pool: 9
Sneaking                          Base: 0  + Karma: 1  = 1   Pool: 11
Swimming                          Base: 0  + Karma: 1  = 1   Pool: 9
Throwing Weapons                  Base: 4  + Karma: 0  = 4   Pool: 14
Unarmed Combat                    Base: 6  + Karma: 0  = 6   Pool: 17

== Knowledge Skills ==

== Qualities ==
Adept
Exceptional Attribute (MAG)
Ex-Con
Prototype Transhuman
SINner (Criminal) (Evil Corp)
Superhuman Psychosis
Tough and Targeted

== Powers ==
Combat Sense Rating: 1
Improved Physical Attribute (AGI) Rating: 1
Improved Reflexes 3

== Cyberware/Bioware ==
Bone Density Augmentation Rating 2
Muscle Augmentation Rating 3
Muscle Toner Rating 3
Orthoskin Rating 3
Platelet Factories
Synch
Tetrachromatic Vision

== Weapons ==
Unarmed Attack
   Pool: 17       Accuracy: 10    DV: 9P       AP: -     RC: 4

== Karma Expenses ==

== Nuyen Expenses ==

astaroth999

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <08-16-16/0525:06> »
Thks mate! I am quite fond of your build. Not as cheesy as mine, and have quite a natural feel to it. In particular your choice of tough and targeted and ex con quality. Its very riddick! I have presented yours to him as well and he likes it. Do u think there is any chance to fit in the nasty vibe quality. He wants his riddick to be scary and intimidating.

Just wanted to check. What combi of bioware grades are u using. I cannot seem to get back the same essence cost using chummer creator. If u are using alpha grade bone density 2 and standard grade orthoskin 3 (total essence cost 1.23 and 30k nuyen), would it be better to use aluminium bone lacing + alpha grade orthoskin 1 (total essence cost 1.20 and nuyen 15.2k)? Would be cheaper essence and nuyen wise. Plus aluminium lacing give +2P vs +1P for bone density grade 2

Does tetrachromancy work with hawkeye? Since it is a genemod and not a bioware augmentation. I cant believe i have overlooked such a brilliant piece of ware.

Thanks for your help!
« Last Edit: <08-16-16/0527:30> by astaroth999 »

gilga

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <08-16-16/1446:05> »
Thanks, I am glad you liked it.

have a small bug in that, the numbers are achieved if:

used: muscle toner + augmentation
alpha: bone density, orthskin (avilability 14 this is the bug)
regular: all the rest.

A quick fix would be to reduce orthskin from 3 to 2. You could also switch bone density with aluminum or plastic lacing - if you prefer.

Since he is awakened we need both the exceptional magic and prototype for the whooping 3 point bioware.
(60k left to spend on my build)
if you give him some extra resources he could greatly benefit from bio compatibility. (Then you can do the orthskin standard.) 

Thanael

• Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <08-16-16/1718:55> »
Love the build, Gilgan.

For being truer to Riddick he need thermographic vision additionally, and some sort of glare effect in daylight (maybe albinism beg quality?) countered by goggles/shades.

cbsmith

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <09-08-16/0332:16> »
So, Riddick evolves a lot in the stories, so I'm not sure which one you want to go with... I like the one from the first movie the most, so trying to capture that more... I don't look at Riddick as being so great at straight up hand to hand. He's not bad at it, but he clearly finds himself more effective with short blades and throwing things.

The trick with a throwing adept is not so much to max out your agility as it is to max out your strength, and then throw in missile mastery & precision throwing for extra range & damage. The other trick is... use boomerangs (harpoon/javelin gives you some AP and extra DV, but loses all subtlety). With 10 Strength, you get a max range of 240. Forget farther than a heavy pistol --that's farther than a submachine gun and near long range limits for an assault rifle! In the SW world, I'd also give him a couple of flash bangs or similar grenades just for tight situations (grenades + throwing adept = max carnage).

Normally, I'd say go adrenaline boost instead of improved reflexes, to free up power points for things like improved ability and combat sense, but Riddick is clearly a fast reaction kind of guy as well, which adrenaline boost just isn't going to get you that. I'd still use agility boost instead of any other magical boosts to agility.

If you want to really capture the whole notion of him being a Fury and a bit unusual in that regard, I'd open up the SURGE possibilities a bit... maybe just to boost strength.

Give him Ceramic Knives, Sapphire Knives, a survival knife, etc. Basically symbolize that he kind of collects anything that works as a decent blade anywhere.

As long as he's going to be an adept, I'd also throw in a Raven mentor spirit. That imposes the right kind of personality traits, gives him that awesome traceless walk, and even the voice control power covers some of his attempts at mimicry (though with low charisma, not going to go well).

The tough part for me is the attributes. Yeah, Riddick should be really high in all physical attributes, but he should have decent intuition and willpower as well... and while it is tempting to give him low charisma, that plays out odd in game mechanics (seriously, how bad can his composure dice pool really be? ;-). It's kind of hard to be high in pretty much all attributes, even with aftermarket updates.

Of course there is the eyes... I'd argue he has low-light vision, not thermovision. The best way to emulate how his eyes work is with the Night Vision attribute, but from a fluff perspective, Cat's Eyes augmentation works better.

Other abilities that fit him one way or another... Barren's Rat, Catlike, Double Jointed, Will to LIve...

I went with more of an adept focused type, rather than an augmentation oriented type.

Attributes - A, Metatype Human Changeling - C, Resources - C, Magic (Adept) - D, Skills D
Surge 1 w/Metagenic Strength Improvement + Impaired Charisma + Nocturnal

Attributes:

Body: 5
Agility: 5[6]
Reaction: 4[7]
Strength: 7[10]
Willpower: 5
Logic: 2
Intuition: 4
Charisma: 1
Edge: 3
Magic: 6

Positive Qualities: Double Jointed, Mentor Spirit (Raven), Night Vision, Prototype Transhuman (Wanted)
Negative Qualities: Did You Just Call Me Dumb?, Ex-Con, Impassive, SINner (Criminal SIN)
Skills: Blades 6 (Knives +2), Con 1, Escape Artist 1 (Contortionism +2), Gymnastics 1, Impersonation 1, Intimidation 1, Palming 1, Perception 1 (Visual +2), Sneaking 1, Throwing Weapons 6[7] (Throwing Clubs/Boomerangs +2), Unarmed Combat 3(52 Blocks +2)
Magic: Attribute Boost 1 [Agility], Combat Sense 1, Improved Reflexes 3, Missile Mastery, Precision Throwing 3, Traceless Walk, Voice Control 1
Augmentations: Muscle Augmentation 3 (Used), Muscle Toner 1 (Alphaware), Reflex Recorder (Alphaware) Throwing Weapons

Weapons: Boomerang (lots), Ceramic Knife, Survival Knife, Throwing Knife
Armour: Lined Coat (2x Concealable Holster, Concealed Pockets)

Gear: MCT Blue Defender, 2 Meta Links, Goggles 4 (Flare Compensation, Vision Magnification, Vision Enhancement 2), Horizon BoomerEye, 2x Standard Credstick, Long Haul, Trodes

Social: Criminal SIN (duh) Street LIfestyle, Fake SIN 3 w/Squatter Lifestyle, Fake LIcenses 3 for Adept Magic, Muscle Augmentation, Muscle Toner, Throwing Knife
Contacts: Church Pastor (Connection 2, Loyalty 2)

That kind of build isn't totally killer in combat, though could be made more so with some obvious tweaks, but the main thing is he can get you quite badly without presenting much of a threat/advanced warning. Lots of obvious venues for additional development with more Karma.

celondon

• Chummer
« Reply #10 on: <09-08-16/1237:56> »
Jack: Where the hell can I get eyes like that?
Riddick: Gotta kill a few people.
Jack: 'Kay, I can do it.
Riddick: Then you got to get sent to a slam, where they tell you you'll never see daylight again. You dig up a doctor, and you pay him 20 menthol Kools to do a surgical shine job on your eyeballs.
Jack: So you can see who's sneaking up on you in the dark?
Riddick: Exactly.

Cat's Eyes bioware OR Tetrachromatic Gene Mod (one of my favorites!)
Skating away on the thin ice of a new day!

cbsmith

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: <09-09-16/2208:14> »
Cat's Eyes bioware OR Tetrachromatic Gene Mod (one of my favorites!)

Tetrachromatic is very different from Riddick's eyes. It's about seeing colours better, not seeing in the dark. Cat's Eyes definitely fits the manner of delivery, but Night Vision captures his day blindness.