NEWS

Shadowrun Cutting Black Sourcebook Review Posted

• 37 Replies

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #30 on: <01-21-20/2202:36> »
I'd been working on a fan write up of Ottawa,  and an adventure involving the Ares facility in Sudbury,  never dreaming that canon would ever touch either of those areas!

0B

« Reply #31 on: <01-21-20/2210:27> »
Seeing all the places that don't usually get action was one of the things I loved about Cutting Black. And they aren't generic little paragraphs with demographics and some local flavor, there's actual plotlines and usable grit in there! I kind of want to run a game in the AMC now...

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #32 on: <01-22-20/0810:12> »
Seeing all the places that don't usually get action was one of the things I loved about Cutting Black. And they aren't generic little paragraphs with demographics and some local flavor, there's actual plotlines and usable grit in there! I kind of want to run a game in the AMC now...
Philly love! w00t-w00t!

Beta

• Ace Runner
« Reply #33 on: <01-22-20/0856:56> »
The one things that was odd was:
- 93% of the book: UCAS going to hell in a handbasket
- 4% UCAS neighbors taking advantage of that, but having their own struggles
- 3% The UK is doing great!
- 0% The rest of the world

It rather feels likes the UCAS will be fairly irrelevant to the world after this, and going forward the focus should be more on the rest of the world?
« Last Edit: <01-22-20/0949:19> by Beta »

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #34 on: <01-22-20/0941:39> »
- 92% of the book: UCAS going to hell in a handbasket

It rather feels likes the UCAS will be fairly irrelevent to the world after this, and going forward the focus should be more on the rest of the world?
JKinda? I mean Seattle, Denver, and St. Louis are all independent cities now. UCAS is shrinking, so either that will continue or there will be some plot hook later on that brings them back.

Beta

• Ace Runner
« Reply #35 on: <01-22-20/1000:16> »

It rather feels likes the UCAS will be fairly irrelevent to the world after this, and going forward the focus should be more on the rest of the world?
JKinda? I mean Seattle, Denver, and St. Louis are all independent cities now. UCAS is shrinking, so either that will continue or there will be some plot hook later on that brings them back.

Maybe playing devil's advocate more than joking?  What I expect is that the SR universe will stay focused on what is currently the USA, with Pegasus adding items about the german speaking areas of Europe -- because they are going to put out material that they expect to most interest their player base.

But barring another plot swerve, what I think should happen is that the focus of megacorp research, development, production, and marketing would be shifting to more stable and prosperous areas than the UCAS.  Not that there is any paradise in the SR timeline, but most of Europe and Asia seem relatively stable, the Indian sub-continent should be recovering, China seems to have stopped its wars (?), parts of Africa seem to be be being brought along well.  And of course it would seem that the CAS, NAN nations, and lately even Atzlan are having a good run.

Why invest in an area that is if not quite still collapsing is at best heavily damaged with little prospect of much prosperity for a generation?  Where is the profit?  What is the cost of operating there?  Sure there will be some business lines in agriculture and infrastructure where there will be on-going work, but the UCAS and state governments aren't going to be able to afford to invest heavily, so even there the money is not going to be huge, so those become secondary focuses, more of a corporate backwater.

So how much demand should there be for runners, in a backwater?  I don't really expect the next supplement to be based in Bangalore or Nairobi or Moscow, I just think it would make sense.

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #36 on: <01-22-20/1055:07> »

Maybe playing devil's advocate more than joking?  What I expect is that the SR universe will stay focused on what is currently the USA, with Pegasus adding items about the german speaking areas of Europe -- because they are going to put out material that they expect to most interest their player base.

But barring another plot swerve, what I think should happen is that the focus of megacorp research, development, production, and marketing would be shifting to more stable and prosperous areas than the UCAS.  Not that there is any paradise in the SR timeline, but most of Europe and Asia seem relatively stable, the Indian sub-continent should be recovering, China seems to have stopped its wars (?), parts of Africa seem to be be being brought along well.  And of course it would seem that the CAS, NAN nations, and lately even Atzlan are having a good run.

Why invest in an area that is if not quite still collapsing is at best heavily damaged with little prospect of much prosperity for a generation?  Where is the profit?  What is the cost of operating there?  Sure there will be some business lines in agriculture and infrastructure where there will be on-going work, but the UCAS and state governments aren't going to be able to afford to invest heavily, so even there the money is not going to be huge, so those become secondary focuses, more of a corporate backwater.

So how much demand should there be for runners, in a backwater?  I don't really expect the next supplement to be based in Bangalore or Nairobi or Moscow, I just think it would make sense.

There may not be as stable and attractive from a pure profit bottom line but that instability is what should actually promote shadow work in the UCAS as the various governments and corporations now fight to gain control over territories that are now in dispute. It not a shift in where the work is but rather what the targets and end goals are.
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #37 on: <01-22-20/2316:29> »
...and an adventure involving the Ares facility in Sudbury,  never dreaming that canon would ever touch either of those areas!
Great, now I'm homesick.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11