NEWS

Sybil virus: Clues and wild speculations

• 626 Replies

Czujny

• Newb
« Reply #345 on: <02-25-14/1316:27> »
I blame Ares because they stuck paranormal creatures in the matrix. Probably experimented with putting a spirit in the matrix as well.

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #346 on: <02-25-14/2218:43> »
Okay, I missed something, because I'm blanking on this.

Ares has done stuff with insect spirits, including IS investing Awakened animals and all the way up to bioware based on insect spirits. But I have never read of Ares pushing Matrix research out past "current" bounds. NeoNET, Evo and Horizon are the megas with the higher degree of Matrix research and spirit research, and where the twain can possibly meet.

And that's not touching on what goes on below the AAA level.

Czujny

• Newb
« Reply #347 on: <02-25-14/2257:19> »
Exposing paranormal things to the matrix isn't fishy to you?
« Last Edit: <02-25-14/2259:02> by Czujny »

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #348 on: <02-25-14/2358:21> »
I think he's wondering - and so am I - where you're getting the 'exposing paranormal things to the matrix' from.  In other words, can you point us to a book and page for that claim?
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #349 on: <02-26-14/0522:53> »
The closest thing I can think of is the Biodrones and Warforms from Running Wild.

they had limited matrix access (they could be linked to the commlink of the handler and given ARO target info, or left to "do their own thing" once combat began) and were a major project of Ares and its subsidiaries.

but I am not making the connection between a dog wired to the matrix and an "intelligent" matrix organization/entity..... the two are just too far removed intellectually to be connected.   
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #350 on: <02-26-14/0539:51> »
Might be conflating technocritters with something else...
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #351 on: <02-26-14/0745:50> »
Pretty sure Sybil is just NeoNet, which is kinda supported by Storm Front + Splintered State.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Nightmare

• Chummer
  • Freelance merc, runner, and assassin
« Reply #352 on: <02-26-14/1009:09> »
Pretty sure Sybil is just NeoNet, which is kinda supported by Storm Front + Splintered State.

Don't forget Horizon as well...it has to do with the collection of the AIs and e-ghosts in the system.  Both NeoNet (mainly Celedyr's section) and Horizon, and perhaps MIT (unsure on this one), were working together to create something similar to Quicksilver's cyberdeck to bring back the dragon lost in the Matrix.

Palladion

• Chummer
« Reply #353 on: <02-27-14/0009:11> »
Anyone who has not read Splintered State, spoilers to follow.

[SPOILER]
Just for the sake of those not following this thread 100%, is this Sybil virus and Cognitive Fragmentation Disorder (Splintered State 56) the same thing? CFD is stated as "technologically propagated computer virus that can directly influence human brainwaves". It seems to indicate that this is what FastJack and a bunch of others have?
[/SPOILER]

Nothing to see here...
P A L L A D I O N

DeathStrobe

• Omae
  • Front Range Free Decker
« Reply #354 on: <02-27-14/0027:51> »
I think he's wondering - and so am I - where you're getting the 'exposing paranormal things to the matrix' from.  In other words, can you point us to a book and page for that claim?

Eliohann?

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #355 on: <02-27-14/0155:51> »

Eliohann?

Yeah . . .

Anything else? Anything that constitutes an ongoing Ares program?

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #356 on: <02-27-14/0205:53> »

[SPOILER]
Just for the sake of those not following this thread 100%, is this Sybil virus and Cognitive Fragmentation Disorder (Splintered State 56) the same thing? CFD is stated as "technologically propagated computer virus that can directly influence human brainwaves". It seems to indicate that this is what FastJack and a bunch of others have?
[/SPOILER]

Nothing to see here...

Not read Splintered state, but from your posting I have 2 views on the subject.

1: They are unrelated events. CFD seems like the evolution of IC, now gone native and "attacking" people on random, while Cybil definitely seems to have intelligence and motive behind its infections, and the actions the infected take.

2: They are, in fact the exact same thing. Only CFD is being misdiagnosed due to the "intelligence" of Sybil.... It's smart enough to know that if it is found out, its plans are in jeopardy, but it can't fully hide itself.... so doctors are calling it CFD and think it is something other then what it is. (a "virus" instead of an "intelligence/entity").

or maybe even 3...

3: I have had too many beers and am totally missing the mark....
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #357 on: <02-27-14/0333:43> »
Pretty much screams Sybil to me. Note how they roughly describe it as a bunch of AIs put in a blender and the result poured into someone's head.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Nightmare

• Chummer
  • Freelance merc, runner, and assassin
« Reply #358 on: <02-28-14/1239:10> »

[SPOILER]
[/SPOILER]

Nothing to see here...

I'd say they're the same thing.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #359 on: <02-28-14/2112:58> »

Eliohann?

Always look to the source material - in this case, the adventure Dragon Hunt.  The wikia entry is wrong (woefully wrong, actually), in that Emerging Futures was a small, unrated corporation which captured Eliohann, and which was actually taken over by said dragon, who ramrodded the datajack implants and Matrix connection (and thus was the cause of the subsequent events as portrayed in the mission).  Emerging Futures was not initially an Ares venture; at the very end of the adventure, [spoiler]the PCs fight through Ares goons at the hospital in order to 'save' Eliohann, only to discover he's just sold Emerging Futures to Ares[/spoiler] - which is where the Ares connection comes in.
Anything else? Anything that constitutes an ongoing Ares program?
... which is really the rest of my point.  There's no evidence of an ongoing Ares program in paranormal-to-Matrix technology; they might have dipped into the 'use-a-guard-animal-to-run-IC' testing, or worked on trials to implant paranormals with cyberware or bioware, but I can recall nothing ongoing that suggests that Ares had an ongoing paranormal-to-Matrix program.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.