NEWS

[sr3] Combat sample

• 3 Replies

Erling

• Chummer
« on: <04-04-14/0704:18> »
Sup, chummers. I'm studying SR3 rules right now, I'm a real novice, I mean it. Can you help me?
I just want to know if I get the rules correctly. So I've written a simplified combat sample, just as an exercise. Wouldn't  you mind checking following combat sample and telling me if I've used mechanics correctly?

A PC and NPC stand against each them holding semi-auto heavy handguns. Distance is about 10 meters.
PC has Quickness = 3 and Intelligence = 4, thus his Reaction is 7/2=3,5 => round down => 3.
PC has Willpower = 4, thus his Combat pool = (3+4+4)/2 = 11/2 = 5,5 => round down => 5.
PC has Pistols skill = 4.

NPC has Boosted Reflexes (2).
NPC has Quickness = 4 and Intelligence = 4, this his Reaction is 8/2 + 1 (cyberware) = 5.
NPC has Willpower = 4, thus his Combat pool = (4+4+4)/2 = 12/2 = 6.

A combat starts.
PC rolls 1d6 and gets 6. Thus his Initiative total = 3 (reaction) +6 (initiative roll) = 9.
NPC rolls 2d6 and gets 1 and 2. Thus his Initiative total = 5 (reaction) + 1 + 2 = 8.

PC acts first and declares two simple actions - he shoots twice.

1) First shot. Target number for hit = 5 (due to distance) - 1 (due to stationary target) = 4
PC rolls 4d6 (without using combat pool) and gets 4, 3, 4, 3. Two successes.
NPC dodges, using half of his combat pool - 3 dies. He rolls 3d6 with TN 4 and gets 4, 5, 6. He has totally avoided beeing shot.

2) Second shot. Target number for hit = 5 (due to distance) - 1 (due to stationary target) + 1 (due to recoil) = 5.
PC rolls 9d6 (4 skill + 5 pool) and gets 5, 5, 6, 5, 3, 6, 2, 1, 4 => 5 successes.
NPC dodges, using 3 dies again. He rolls 3d6 with TN 4 and gets 4, 2, 3 = > 1 success.

NPC is hit. Time to roll for resistance and damage.

I hope I understand rules in a correct way :)
« Last Edit: <04-04-14/0706:46> by Erling »
SR1++SR2++SR3+++SR4+SR5+h++IE-W++hk++sa++++sh+hm--m-gm+M-P

WellsIDidIt

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <04-04-14/0751:13> »
I don't have access to my SR3 books at the moment, but that looks right to me from a glance. Remember on the second shot, since the shooter had so many successes, he'll be staging the damage of the attack up.

Erling

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <04-04-14/1143:43> »
Thanx for the response :)

Looks like I've eventually made mistake. PC couldn't add 5 dice to use in test because maximum number of dice added from Combat Pool is equal to Skill rating which is used in test. So PC could roll only 8 dice (4 from skill, 4 from Combat pool).
SR1++SR2++SR3+++SR4+SR5+h++IE-W++hk++sa++++sh+hm--m-gm+M-P

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #3 on: <04-07-14/0427:27> »
You are correct, including your revision.  Note that with successes, 1 = hit, 2= staged up, 4= staged up.  Presuming a typical pistol - Ares Predator II, for example - you're looking at a 9M, going to 9D - a darn good shot.  The NPC now has to roll Body against the damage.  Let's say the NPC has a BOD of 4 and a standard armored jacket: 5 points of ballistic armor.

9D - armor (5) = 4D.
Rolling BOD (4) = 2 3 4 5, for two successes.  He stages the damage down by one, to S damage.

Immediately reduce his initiative by S penalties (-3); he's now acting at Initiative 5.  He also gets a 3-point penalty to all his actions except for damage reduction, so when taking his first shot back his TN is 5 (Distance) - 1 (stationary target) + 3 = 7.

If you're playing with Professionalism scores, however, he'd have to be a hardcore guy to not try to surrender on the spot.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.