NEWS

Yakashima Technologies

• 11 Replies

belaran

• Omae
« on: <04-17-17/1132:51> »
Hi all,

As I'm preparing a game in Haiti, I'm looking a bit into the AA corporation called Yakashima Technologies. Indeed, the corporation, known for her a rather "anti-metahuman" stench, have bought the (Haiti infamous)  John Hopkins Institute of Health (JHIH). We know that much thanks to Shadow of Latin America (3ed).

However, the corporation is mentioned a couple of times in Market Panic, as doing some back stabbing - and preventive, mischief with S-K against Shiawase (which may be trying to buy the double A), and also having sold most of its africa assets to MCT, to offer them a "new name" to commit their next corporate crime over there.

So now, the question - did I miss anything 5ed about the AA corp ? (unlikely, but worth double checking) And more importanty - as I more/less skip 4ed, was Yakashima somehow updated/mentioned/part of something during 4ed events ?

Thanks !  :)

Nath

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <04-17-17/1738:09> »
From what I remember, Yakashima Technologies received coverage in the following book :

Portfolio of a Dragon: Dunkelzahn's Secrets
Man & Machine
Shadows of Asia
Augmentation
Dawn of the Artifact 4: New Dawn

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <04-18-17/0604:18> »
It's been implied - even strongly - over the years that Yakashima has been a Human Nation stronghold. This seems to have [been] changed in, or as a result of, the Ghost Decade (the name given to the period following the eruption of the Ring of Fire in 2061-2). They were reportedly a major supporter and contributor to Saito's 'Protectorate' around the San Francisco area - maybe Saito disappeared into Yakashima as opposed to anyone else.

The purchase of JHIH in Haiti is not canon, because SoLA is not canon, though it's not surprising - basically a transfer from one part of HN to another.

Market Panic is probably the most up-to-date info on the corp. Go with that.

belaran

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <04-18-17/0621:23> »
While being not canon, stuff describes in SoLA are not clashing (or maybe even being mentioned) in Hard Target (in the Cuba update). However, as there is no "update" (AFAIK) on Haïti since SoLA, I'm not sure if Yakashima buying JHIH  will be "canonize" at some point.

In any case, I'll keep it in my game. Thanks for all the refs on Yakashima above !

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <04-18-17/0908:49> »
I didn't mean to imply that SoLA isn't worth considering. There are a few other things covering the same area, but SoLA is pretty much the most comprehensive. And unless CGL releases something canon, it's probably the best you'll find.

belaran

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <04-18-17/0941:32> »
I didn't mean to imply that SoLA isn't worth considering.

Neither did i undersand your comment like that :) - I just wanted to point out that (as far as I know) there is no canon (yet) in contradiction with SoLA (on the carribean league stuff - I have yet to read the rest).

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <04-18-17/1252:42> »
New info about John Hopkins in either Clutch of Dragons or Storm Front ... I blank on which. It didn't emerge form the dragon war untouched.

Yakashima's also one of the corps in the running for elevation to a Triple A. It's bigger than many on the court and has fought for access for years, but back in the day, the other Japancorps froze it out as they had plenty of influence. After that influence poofed, the other corps were able to keep it from joining in to turn the tide back to Japan.

With a place at the table so tantalizingly close, the question starts to be "What would they do to get it?" Was the sale of their African investment a bribe? Are they Japan-aligned or did decades of freeze-out embitter them to be a foe? What leverage do they have? What leverage do they need? Just how many 'runners are being hired by Mr. Johnson right now, all over the world, to get the job done?

(Because, at the end of the day, that's the big question ... how do the players at your table get involved? How does this generate runs for the characters?)

Love their logo, personally. Wonder what it'd look like in full color...

BlackMyron

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <05-03-17/0118:00> »
There's actually some confusion as to what JHIH's status is - the Sixth World Atlas actually does have Yakashima as its owner in 2072; Clutch of Dragons seems to indicate that it collapsed under pressure from S-K; and Hard Targets seems to indicate that it is still around and independent. 

belaran

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <05-03-17/0607:41> »
JHIH is still around, but just part of Yakashima so there is no contradiction with Hard Target stating it's still around (as a brand). The only mention I found of them in Hard Target is just about the following line:

"One bright spot is Blue Star, a semi-privatized healthcare company that competes with John Hopkins (JHIH) and DocWagon."

This is NOT implying at all that JHIH is independant. It sounds actually that the lore is somewhat consistent here, JHIH buy out by Yakashima, from the non canonical material of Shadow of Latin America has been "canonized" in the Sixth World Atlas (I guess you meant Almanac, right ?).

I've quickly browsed through the Clutch of the Dragons, but I could not any mention of JHIH and just a one liner on Yakashima (relating to Ghostwalker's investment). Where did you saw the stuff about S-K crushing JHIH ?

Sascha Morlok

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <05-03-17/0824:45> »
He is either referring to Clutch of the Dragon pg. 15, or Stom Front pg. 43, where JHIH has either "collapsed due to the pressure Saeder-Krupp put on them" which "allowing Saeder-Krupp to pick up a majority of the remaining assets", or were "forced into insolvency over the last two years" during the Dragon Civil War.
« Last Edit: <05-03-17/0829:37> by Sascha Morlok »
German Freelancer for Pegasus Spiele
Wrote the S-K chapter of Market Panic and Power Plays

BlackMyron

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <05-05-17/2355:25> »
Yes, that appears to be the only reference in Hard Targets.  My only note on Yakashima for that book is "Still around?", which I probably made in response to the aforementioned quotes from Clutch of Dragons and Storm Front. (And yeah, I meant the Sixth World Almanac   :P)
I haven't indexed the later books yet, so I'm not sure if Yakashima shows up elsewhere yet.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <05-07-17/0118:01> »
I mentioned its acquisition of Daiatsu in Seattle Sprawl.